The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Magic For Puppets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
I could use some help from my ventriloquist brothers and sisters. I have been contacted about a VBS puppet show, and I am unsure if I want to do it or not. Usually, I am a magician that uses some vent in his magic shows. No more than a routine per show. However, for this week-long event, I will need to be a ventriloquist that does a little bit of magic.

The VBS theme is going to be about the miracles of Jesus, so I would like to write some scripts centered around my figure thinking he can do 'miracles'. Of course he only does tricks, and while they are impressive, only God can do true miracles. I would like to let him do several magic tricks throughout the week. If I take this on, I will need to do 5 shorter routines, and one longer routine at the celebration finale. I have read Axtell's Axtrax routine (I believe it's called "The Rope Trick"), and my puppet does the Stiff Rope, but that is about the extent of what I know in this area. I just never had a need to persue it before.

What are some tricks that your puppet does? What are some props that your puppet uses to do tricks with? I sure would appreciate some help and/or advice on this matter. I'm not asking for routines or anything, just some ideas on what tricks to do and/or what props to use.

What are some of the best sources for this type of thing?

Thanks so much!

Regan
Mister Mystery
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Well, you could do the lotta bowl "water from no where".....
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Regan,
There's a book the legendary vent Col. Bill Boley wrote that talked about doing magic with your vent puppet. The title is VENTRILO-MAGIC. You might want to google where you can buy it.

And here's a link to get you started:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#10

ONY
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Regan,
Get hold of Bruce Kalver's Shrinking Growing Head - you can operate it with one hand and have the audience look at the puppet. The trick itself is an awesome optical illusion that never fails to generate comments & reactions. I use it to open almost every show, before introducing vent. No reason it couldn't be used with a puppet.

Other ideas could include a one handed change bag. A volunteer would follow your puppet's directions, placing the silks in the bag and later removing them. Use two silks and have them supposedly swap colors before actually doing the change. Gives you opportunities for extra laughs when the puppet pretends they changed but everyone knows they didn't.

Good luck with the shows!
Tom
http://www.comedyventriloquist.com
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks everyone! Those are some fabtastic ideas! Thanks or the links too Ony! I had ran several searches and could not find that.

Regan
Mister Mystery
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I beleive Steve Taylor's DVD, "Fooling your Dummy", is all about this. Unfortunately, I am not at home and cannot cehck to see if this title is correct. I odered it from Axtell's site and was very happy with some of the tricks and routines that Steve shared.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks. I know Steve's DVDs must be good.
Mister Mystery
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
325 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
How about some mentalism tricks or chemical magic. No matter what kind of figure that you use, he/she can do it.

IMHO stiff rope is good only for an animal figure, so he/she can use his/her mouth to hold the rope. Human figure can't do it.
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Buddy. I agree with you about the Stiff Rope. I will probaly be using it since Vern is my figure. I am also working on another rope routine that I think will be pretty good.
Mister Mystery
Tokyo Williams
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
126 Posts

Profile of Tokyo Williams
Budihaha beat me to the punch, but I was also going to suggest something more in the mentalism field. Something were the actions are carried out by the spectators while your figure gives instructions and reveals the prediction. A book test, perhaps (is using the Bible too gauche?)While the mentalist lot can get a little snarky about making distinctions between their art and "regular" magic, I suppose you might need the tread lightly with such acts with the Christian magic set as mentalism can be presented as "real" magic. I'm a secular humanist myself, but as a teen I used to attend FCM conventions...nice people, good lectures, great dealer room (regardless of your religious affiliation, I imagine it's hard to gouge customers when you're surrounded by people in clerical collars in the basement of a church). I did notice quite a few of them were vehemently anti-mentalism, though.

Personally, I've never used a vent figure (aside from some playing around)because my vent skills are practically non-existent. I used a puppet for a long while (the ubiquitous rabbit) as I'm far more interested in actual physical-manipulation puppetry. The kids loved it, and the rabbit could pick up, hold, and produce things from his hat in conjunction with my magic tricks.
I have nothing to say
And I am saying it
And that is poetry.
-John Cage
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Magic For Puppets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL