The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
High impact vol 1 by Nardi/Spelmann has been an age in coming out anyone heard anything.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've got "draw me a tree" by my bedside ready to watch this weekend...if the mighty eye likes it, that's good enough for me...
I've asked to be banned
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Quote:
On 2008-05-12 15:33, bear trees wrote:
High impact vol 1 by Nardi/Spelmann has been an age in coming out anyone heard anything.

Hi,

High Impact was shot last year but we were not happy with how it looked, thus we are reshooting it all again as we want to provide the best we can do. We are reshooting it next week..

Hope that helps and sorry for the delay..

Marc Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
I'd love to know about mentalism dvds that I don't see discussed much on here. I have the osterlind, max maven and the banachek sets. I've also heard that bob cassidy's mental miracles is good. I haven't come across many recommendations for various older dvds by the following people, however: ted lesley, larry becker, lee earle, and kreskin. what do people think of these sets? thanks!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
I bought "The Unexpected" a few days ago, and although I thought the effects were quite good, and enjoyed the banter between the two guys, I thought it was good rather than great. But then I gave a little tweak to one of the effects (no disrespect to Messrs Spellman and Nardi, not because I thought there was anything wrong with their version, just to fit in with what I was doing) and did it tonight, and although the premise was pretty straightforward, it went down a storm. So I'm scoffing some humble pie as I write this

As Gabelson said above, it would be an excellent dvd in particular for someone new to mentalism as it uses only simple props and has some direct ideas, and I thought well explained
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
Having now had more time to go through the content of 'The Unexpected', I like it more and more. I like that the effects are presented very simply, but that the basics are explained clearly, and also that the workings are straightforward. I've seen comments about the dvd saying that the principles are fairly simple, and they are, but as the same is true of much of of Mentalism, that's not necessarily a minus point. And it doesn't set out to be the last word in cutting edge work, it's more an unpretentious run through a number of effects that you will be able to do.

In comparison with other well known dvd such as the Osterlind or Banachek ones, I really like the way these are presented less as fully fledged performance pieces, and more as looser 'workshop'-type material for you to take and personalise. The good things for me about the way the information is presented if that, firstly, everything is set out so that you can go ahead and do the workings pretty well straight away, there are some clever ideas but nothing is complicated to learn. Secondly, they give food for thought, and form a solid basis for adding your own bits and pieces depending on how you like to present things and what your skills and interests are.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Muse check John Riggs stuff and you won't regret Smile

Cheers
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2196 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Hey muse....

which effect was it that you 'tweaked'.
I had a similar experience... the more I watched, the more I liked it.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
MagicBarMan
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MagicBarMan
Hey, Check out any of Luke Jermay's stuff on penguinmagic.com. He is a real inovator. He has a lot of downloads and has taken mentalism in a new direction.
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
The Unexpected is an enjoyable DVD. Spellman and Nardi work well together. They are an entertaining pair, and any DVD who get's a reference to Peckham Spring Water into an effect is worth a look.... "If she's a good looking bird... you can buy her a glass of wine... well, a cheap glass.... actually spritzer, because that's got a bit of lemonade... slightly cheaper".

Do people have a preference as to how DVD content is presented?

The Unexpected sees Spellman and Nardi perform the effects on each other, then go on to discuss the workings together. I much prefer this to the 'real audience' approach which can sometimes be excruciatingly irritating to watch. Those real audience are seldom real and either way multiple cameras can't help for a genuine atmosphere.
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
I like the way "Unexpected"was set out, the L&L same audience got rather annoying on the Banachek and Osterlind dvds(we have never met before have we Frank)lol
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
The L&L format is weak.

Similarly though, I wasn't too found of Beyond The Conventional in terms of performance section. I found it a bit wooden and awkward at times. I'd have rather seen the tricks performed with Nardi and Spellman (and maybe others as required that are comfortable personalities in front of the camera) in a studio setting.

None of this is to suggest that Beyond the Conventional isn't worth a gander.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1121 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Patrick Cuff's DVD's "Mind Stunts 1 & 2" don't get a lot of press. They are definitely a worthwhile addition to anyone's collection. I picked up 2 effects that are in the regular repertoire still to this day. His drawing dupe (volume 1) is particularly good. He also has a good metal bending DVD.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 17:24, muse wrote:
.... and did it tonight, and although the premise was pretty straightforward, it went down a storm. So I'm scoffing some humble pie as I write this

It must be a cultural thing but could you please explain "it went down a storm." Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Thanks,
Mike
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
It's a good thing. Not a storm as in a destructive manifestation of the power of nature, more a...well...phrase meaning 'a good thing'. I suppose like it 'blew people away' might be the next closest phrase I can think of. Anyway...it went down well
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Once again, the All Seeing EYE is right on! I've done graphology and versions of the 'Draw Me A Tree'/ HTP - (House Tree Person) - for years, but based on Tony's praise I got Rudy Hunter's DVD. ("Draw Me A Tree" is Rudy's title.)
He's exactly right! There is enough information for you to use this for a complete self contained character reading - or as an add-on to some other method you are currently using. If you're interested in doing fun character readings, you really should have this one. No gimmicks, no predicting futures.
brane
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-04-29 17:08, Ezzet wrote:
As some of you might know ive said before that I learn better by watching than reading (especially if its in another language than my own ) so I wonder if anyone knows if there's any good mentalism DVDs on its way

Thanks in advance
Ezzet

I understand what you are saying Ezzet, I like DVDs better too. But with "Mentalism Incorporated" volumes #1 and #2 by Chuck Hickok is a must. I saw him at a lecture. I could not resists his books.
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 11:49, Dynamike wrote:
[I understand what you are saying Ezzet, I like DVDs better too. But with "Mentalism Incorporated" volumes #1 and #2 by Chuck Hickok is a must. I saw him at a lecture. I could not resists his books.

Mike is correct, Chuck's books are irristible.
paultepper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of paultepper
Don't forget the classic Desert Brainstorm series. Larry Becker, Christopher Caldwell, Gene Urban, Docc Hilford, Lee Earle, Kenton Knepper, and Mark Strivings.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism DVDs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL