The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying pocket watches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mikeybionic
View Profile
New user
san francisco
31 Posts

Profile of mikeybionic
I recently purchased some multiplying pocket watches (the india kind) . . . like these
http://www.daytonamagic.com/Stage%20Magi......0WATCHES
though its fun and challenging to come up with sleights and manipulations for them from scratch (and ive come up with some good ones already), I was wondering if anyone knows of any documentation concerning the handling of these watches.
any leads are greatly appreciated.
mikeybionic
View Profile
New user
san francisco
31 Posts

Profile of mikeybionic
Well, if no such documentations exists, I guess I'll just have to roll my own handling.
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
You could always have a look at Richard Ross' routine. I don't think it is in print, but if you can find the footage it may spark some more ideas.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
There is an entire chapter on sleights with pocket watches in Jean Hugard's "Modern Magic Manual" (1939), which has now been reprinted by Dover Books as "Hugard's Magic Manual." Click HERE for more info.

BTW, when Al Flosso did the Multiplying Alarm Clocks as a closer, he had a great line -- "Well, I see my time is up, so I'll be going now!" SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you are a member of The Learned Pig Project, look for this book...

The Novelty Act De-Luxe with Watches and Clocks (Heverly The Great)

Video of Richard Ross' Pocket watches routine can also be found there.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Now that you mention it, Michael, I recall from somewhere (Tarbell?) that there was a fellow in vaudeville named Gus Fowler, who had the nickname "The Watch King." My guess is that he did a act exclusively with watches.

However, that's about all I know about him. Maybe some of our less history-challenged members can come up with some more info. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I recall the name. I don't know if he played in America, but if so, it's likely he's mentioned in David Price's book. Mine's buried, but I'll check it when I can.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mikeybionic
View Profile
New user
san francisco
31 Posts

Profile of mikeybionic
Thanks to everyone for the info. I've seen richard ross' pocket watch routine and its inspirational. his productions look truly magical and the appearance of the chains on the jumbo watches at the end . . . just boggling.
again, thanks for the info guys, its appreciated.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
One of the acts that the great Japanese magic team Tenkai and Okinu used to do in vaudeville was a watch/clock production act.

When I was a kid, I remember there was a guy who did a watch/clock act. I think his name was Count Artell.

In any case, these kinds of pocket watches are not common objects today. So if you plan to use them then you have to really make it clear to the audience that these objects are clocks. Richard Ross always did a nice job at conveying this to the audience. The music he used (during the first half of the watch routine) was a very pretty melody that sounded like it came from a music box or a musical pocket watch, so it really added to the routine.

Boy, he was a wonderful magician!

Levent
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Chech out Tora's watches on the bottom of this page: http://www.shaunyee.com/english%20genera......0watches
mikeybionic
View Profile
New user
san francisco
31 Posts

Profile of mikeybionic
Dynamike, those tora watches look pretty cool . . . but I don't know if theyre $600.00 worth of cool.
thanks for the heads up. that site is a good resource for stage stuff.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
We discussed the pocket watches before: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=10
Check out ones for $50 at Daytona Magic. The only question is the black gloves.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-04-29 20:02, mikeybionic wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows of any documentation concerning the handling of these watches.
any leads are greatly appreciated.

I purchased those also. I did not keep up with them. To me they are too cheap. They can not even be turned sideways. You must really watch your angles. If there was a DVD showing moves and routines with the watches it would be good. I bet the inventor of the watches can not evev perform it.
mikeybionic
View Profile
New user
san francisco
31 Posts

Profile of mikeybionic
Yeah. I have the exact same kind of watches. I have managed to make up a little one-handed one-to-two split that looks pretty magical. but even doing that with both hands, I'm still left with only a four watch display (which isn't enough for me). I've been thinking about modifying the bottom watch with a spring loaded gimmick (using the 5th and 6th watches) so I could apparently roll out a 5th watch between my thumbs.
regardless, the effect isn't very convincing unless you incorperate a trick or two using real pocket watches before going into multiplication.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying pocket watches (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL