The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » My Coin Collection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
Hi

Here is my first video posting. Comments will be welcome. I did this before starting to read Pete McCabes Scripting Magic book. I am in the midst of actually writing the script for this and it is going to be slightly different. So I will post that when I finish it to show the progression. I realize that my hands drop out of frame. Oops. I am not doing anything but lowering my hands.

Gritting my teeth and ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78PN1DGQ2_A

Thanks for watching.
The real magic is family!
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
Well, as of today 80 people have read this post and 44 people watched my video. Assuming that one person did not watch it 44 times, of course. There are no comments, words of derision, correction, or adulation? Yipes.
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
I'll be the first to jump in the pool. First off, congrats on two fronts, for having the b@#$s to post yourself on the internet and for actually looking beyond the typical coin magic BS of explaining what you are doing(I take this coin and I place it here, etc). I commend you for applying a story that is interesting. It could use some refining but I like the premise and am interested in seeing what you apply new to it. The technical advice I would give is to practice getting the coins out to your fingertips more. The further you get them out, the less suspicious they will look and you will have more surface showing. I could say a bunch more but I figured I would try to get the feedback juices flowing. Congrats on stretching your mind.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Ill have to rewatch it later but 2 point that really jump out.

1. way way too much noise on the [ nesting. this can and should be silent. a soft touch helps and to angle the insert

2. patter was ok. you mentioned many coin types to start and I was expecting to see dimes quarters and dollars and all of that. kind of let down after you mentioned them.

lastly when a coin appears that was "invisable" you don;t have to tell the audience " I rub and it becomes visiable" many guys have this problem and its very awkward. trust me they can see that it appeared.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
879 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
As a magician I see the same things the other guys did. But when showing it to a lay person .Ala a friend of mine who knows nothing about coin magic the responce was great. He had no idea of the nesting of the coins or where they came from or where they went. So I say it was great. we magicians who have the knolage are going to be the hardest to convince but love the effort and time put in to create strong magic. Thanks and keep them comming. PT
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
Thanks guys for the comments.

I am working on the script for this to improve it. I had not thought of disappointment due to the lack of the other coins. That gives me some ideas both ways. I could keep that line and produce some small change or scarp the line.

When I made my video I had yet to actually write the script down. I was doing it from my head. Now that I am reading Pete McCabe's book I see the enormous potential for help from actually writing the script out. I have not finished his book yet but should do soon and then I will post a new version.

As for the clicking of the coins and [s, sometimes this does not bother me as there are multiple coins and they might click and clink together anyway. That is probably an aesthetic choice. At other times, yes, the coins ought to be quiet. I have a SASCO [ and an Johnson [. Both look pretty good but the Johnson [ is definitely better and quieter. I will be buying some new [s soon so that may help. Nesting and unnesting the [ coin is a little tricky. I would love some tips on doing that more quietly.

I will try to get the coins out more on the finger tips. That makes the move a little more tricky though.

Thanks again for the comments.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
No matter the maker you can make it quieter....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » My Coin Collection (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL