We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review Request:: Magic in Theory (book) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nboisen
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of nboisen
Has anyone read this one? Worth a look?

Magic in Theory: An Introduction to the Theoretical and Psychological Elements of Conjuring (Paperback)
by Peter Lamont and Richard Wiseman

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1902806......ist-recs

Book Description
A useful manual for any magician or curious spectator who wonders why the tricks seem so real, this guide examines the psychological aspects of a magician’s work. Exploring the ways in which human psychology plays into the methods of conjuring rather than focusing on the individual tricks alone, this explanation of the general principles of magic includes chapters on the use of misdirection, sleight of hand, and reconstruction, provides a better understanding of this ancient art, and offers a section on psychics that warns of their deceptive magic skills.

About the Author
Peter Lamont is a research fellow at the Koestler Parapsychology unit at the University of Edinburgh. He is the author of The Rise of the Indian Rope Trick. Richard Wiseman heads the psychology research unit at the University of Hertfordshire. He is the author of The Luck Factor.
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
I bought this and didn't like it. It was very dry and analytical. I like magic theory books but this one didn't really provide information helpful to a magician--it was more about classifying the study of magic not the performance or experience of magic. There are much better magic theory books out there:
--Strong Magic
--Designing Miracles
--the Fitzkee books
--Magic and Meaning
Search the Café and you'll find a ton of other recommendations.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Agreed, wasn't my thing at all.

Mescalito
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
334 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
It is a dry read and not suitable for those wanting performance tips. I heartily recommend Derren Brown's 'Absolute Magic' for this. However, it does analyse the basic effects and plots in magic and whilst I would not write home about it, I found it a helpful book to have in the mix.

Merlin
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree with most of the other posters, I didn't get very much "bang for the buck" from this book. Frankly, I expected a lot more from two psychologists who are also magicians.

I also agree that "Strong Magic" would be a MUCH better alternative, and it's only about $10 more. This is a very thoughtful book, with plenty of theory but also lots of practical tips and applications from a working pro who definitely knows his stuff. Click HERE for more info. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review Request:: Magic in Theory (book) (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL