The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » David Blaine's World's Greatest Street Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations to The Powers That Be,

There is a great deal of interest in David Blaine and his brand of street magic on the boards, particularly in the "street magic" forum. I think it is only fitting that a new forum topic be started to accommodate his many fans and followers.

Conversely, would it be possible to start a forum topic on "The Art of Busking" for magi and performers whose primary interest lies in busking or festival performance, this way there would be little chance of confusing the two topics.

Thank you for your consideration.

Joe in KC

Make the magic happen, live a great adventure!
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Firstly I want to thank you all for the wonderful board. A true miracle of joy and inspiration to folks like me who live thousands of miles away. Taiwan to be exact. I do lots of street performing here and want to add my 0.02c to the above message. There is a growing feeling of frustation at the "Sidewalk Shuffle" thread due to the confusion of what is actually street magic and busking. Chiefly from the misunderstanding of what is actually "Street Busking" and the kinds of magic that DB performs in his specials.
Can a new thread be opened up just for the magi who want to discuss DB, and then one for the discussion of actual "Street Busking"? If you have time (maybe not) check out the "Problems with Street Magic" thread there right now. Some of the "Real Street workers" are a bit weary of the mixture of the two styles of magic and there are several who would like to see a seperation of the styles.
Hey, thanks again for all of your hard work here at the Café.
God Bless,
JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings Again,

My apologies, I second JoJo's sentiments about The Magic Café. This is one of the best, if not the best board on the net. I've received priceless advice from knowlegeable and well-known experts in the business.

Thanks for hosting a great board and providing a valuable resource to the magic community.

My question is meant to determine if like-minded individuals could have their own spaces for a meeting of the minds in much the same way that there are separate forums for silks and ropes.

Thanks again for providing this important meeting place and considering my request.

Joe in KC

Make magic happen, live a great adventure!
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Greetings

I'd like to add my voice to that of JoJo and MagiUlysses. It would be great to have an area, separate from the Blaine enthusiasts, for buskers to talk about what we do. Thanks for your help.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
I agree, even though I am not a street magician. I find it really interesting to read about busking, especially how to routine street shows. It's kind of annoying having to wade through all the posts about what people think is street magic.

I think we should keep the current "Sidewalk Shuffle" forum as it is, for buskers, and open another one for David Blaine enthusiasts. We should also put a sticky thread at the top of the Sidewalk shuffle forum, telling people that it is for buskers.

Just my opinion...
DKmagic
View Profile
New user
Florida Gulf Coast
23 Posts

Profile of DKmagic
Between this thread and the one in The Sidewalk Shuffle I think everybody's voice will be heard... I like the sticky thread idea too that should nearly guarantee that everybody knows what the board is for.
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
Change it PLEASE:)
Jack Of Hearts!
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
I'm kind of suprised Steve hasn't replied to this thread yet...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
First off I want to say thanks to Steve for giving us such a great resource. This site has been a fantastic meeting place for magicians and the brainstorming that goes on behind these electronic doors is nothing less than amazing.

As to the Blaine/Buskers debate I think both of these groups deserve their own forums. As a professional busker I know I have accomplished some outstanding things through the sidewalk shuffle. There has developed a community in that area that has quickly become the first place I go when I have a question or need information. I know the feedback and help I will get is always going to be spot on.

Unfortunately it is also a place that is becoming increasingly more difficult to pass information due to the people posting about Blaine and “The Blaine Style”. I have no problem with David Blaine or the posters who wish to emulate his style.

I do think that the two styles of magic are nothing alike and this has been the cause of great and ongoing debate.

It is especially a problem when someone is working for advise on a busking act and a person comes into the conversation and tries to help from the Blaine perspective.

Because the two styles are nothing alike this type of off topic posting seems to cause the most confusion and discord.

I enjoy David Blaine very much but combining what I do and what Mr. Blaine does would be like combining “The spooky, the mysterious, …the bizarre” with “The Little Darlings” forums.

That’s my two cents anyway. I hope we can give these two groups more appropriate surroundings.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I vote for a change. Let's separate the two groups before the both give up in frustration and confusion.

Let the "SideWalk Shuffle--the crazy art of busking" remain as the best busker's board on the internet, and let the Blaine crowd have a forum called "Street Magic" They can add whatever they want as a descriptor, perhaps "--random acts of magic for unsuspecting pedestrians."
Poindexter
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin USA
57 Posts

Profile of Poindexter
I had some Pepsi in a can;
Took a drink,
Read Whit's post,
Now it's all over my monitor, man.

--Dave, registering another "Change It" vote.
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1397 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Ok guys you win. Steve says he will put up another forum for you. Smile

However, I must tell you, you need to be good and quit bugging him or he may change his mind. Smile

Smile Or was that loose his mind. Smile

Mya
Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Wow, thanks so much dear Magic Café folks. It's truly good news and I'm sure will help greatly to keep everyone happy. Most of all me maybe. I love the "Sidewalk Shuffle.....the crazy art of busking"
JoJo Smile
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4755 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I will indeed be making a major forum change within the next few days, so be a little patient. Thanks everyone for your input and continued support of our hard work and continued efforts here at The Magic Café. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2003-03-24 19:50, Poindexter wrote:
I had some Pepsi in a can;
Took a drink,
Read Whit's post,
Now it's all over my monitor, man.

--Dave, registering another "Change It" vote.

I don't know if this is intentional haiku but the funny thing is if you read it that way not only is it funny, it really isn't half bad Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Poindexter
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin USA
57 Posts

Profile of Poindexter
Hi Danny,

It doesn't follow the 5-7-5 (as I recall) pattern of traditional haiku, but it was, nonetheless, inspired by a sudden rush of sugary bubbles fizzing out of my nose. Thanks.

And thanks to Whit for a good laugh at the end of a really long day. I'll overlook the monitor thing Smile

And many thanks to Steve and the staff at the Café; I believe this will be a huge step in alleviating a communication snarl for all concerned.

--Dave
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

Many, many thanks, Steve. Your hard work and dedication to The Magic Café is evident in the calibre and number of the magi who make regular appearances here.

Thanks again!

Joe in KC

Make magic happen, live a great adventure!
DKmagic
View Profile
New user
Florida Gulf Coast
23 Posts

Profile of DKmagic
Hip Hip Hooray,
What Can I Say,
Once Again,
Steve Saves The Day.

Thanks Steve!

(Okay so I liked the rhyming theme)
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Great news!

Thanks Steve!

Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Thanks, Steve.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » David Blaine's World's Greatest Street Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL