The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Crystal Method - By Darius - Impossible signed card effects » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
Lee_Hathaway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Lee_Hathaway
Quote:
Ok great, I hope you enjoy Crystal Method as much as others have...oh wait, nevermind people are actually disappointed. But like you said, it isn't for everyone.

Art, firstly, could you point me in the direction of somebody who has actually reviewed the entire product with DVD who is dissapointed and not those who are just speculating as to what you can and can't do?

Secondly, as I had to make clear to another user previously everybody involved in this project has been perfectly transparent (!) about who they are on here. Myself, Darius, Steve Dela, Angelo Carbone etc. Any other posts from users who talk positively of the product are entirely genuine and not "mates" of the creators. The assumption you make is not true and entirely without foundation.

You know, I and the other guys involved in this welcome any constructive criticism both positive and negative, but why some fellow magicians feel the need to elevate this to a level of personal attack or unfounded malicious allegation says more about them than it does about us. It's a magic effect for crying out loud.

I grant you there are those that will like it and those that won't, or who won't see any use for it in their repetoire. You know, we are not forcing anybody to purchase this product and I think by the name and free sample in Genii we've tried to give people the opportunity to make that decision based on fact.

Regarding Genii, I'd also like to say that Richard Kaufman would not have included a free sample of a product in his magazine if he didn't see the value and possibilities available with it. Nor would Jim Steinmeyer have taken the time to create effects with it. Nor would several of the UK's top magicians have created effects and put them on the DVD.

I recently sent a sample of the DVD and product to a large magic distributor in the USA. Now I'm talking about people who get sent hundreds of ideas and effects to possibly market on a daily basis (many of which they turn down). When they saw Crystal Method I had an order the same day.

So I think it's fair to say whilst there will always be those who criticise and those who won't like it, there's an awful lot of magicians (many well known) who can see the potential of this product and the many possibilities it offers.
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Nicely said Lee.....I think art is just caught up in the name still. This is where he started to dislike the product and nothing really happened to change that except POSITIVE feedback. The closest relationship to the creators I have is a friend from the UK, Jamie Daws, who knows a few of the creators from the trick.
Good job guys with the routines. At least I like it :S.....

Nico Zottos
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1929 Posts

Profile of ted french
When Isaw this I thought that this gimmick in the right hands could produce miracles. I am not as confident in my sleight of hand talents to pull this off. Can someone with only better than average sleight of hand skills pull this off?
P3
practice practice perform.
Lee_Hathaway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Lee_Hathaway
Thanks for your comments Nico.

Ted, it depends what effect you wish to do. There are a lot of routines on the DVD, some requiring little or no sleight of hand whereas others are far more technical.

There are individual routines that require you to do a good bluff pass, mercury fold, double lift and second deal. On the other hand, there are also routines that are self-working.
ElCineasta
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ElCineasta
Hello all,

New poster here. Felt it's about time I joined in and rather than continue the debate of positive and negative comments on this product, I'd offer an objective based opinion and explain why I was interested in it. I own the full product, DVD and all!

My interest in this product only came about after seeing the "you will name this card" section on the demo video. As a Mentalist, the ability to predict things as easy and with freedom seemed awesome. I had no clue how it was done! So I pre-ordered! This was about 2-3 months ago. I had it on preorder a long time lol that's all I know.

A recent trip to London with a friend led me to Covent Garden where the creators of this effect have their shop. It was there I had the priviledge of meeting one of the creators, and actually the person behind "you will name this card", Neil Henry. I didn't know that at the time though because as yet did not have the actual product..in fact...I didn't know what the Gimmick was! Anyway, it was mentioned that there was this free sample in Genii magazine so me and my friend switfly went off and bought Genii magazine.
Curiousity killed the cat! Literally! The secret which lay before our eyes didn't inspire confidence.
Bear in mind however that before I'd even seen the gimmick myself, I'd read on here all the comments on how it's really obvious to spot etc so I guess I was looking for that aspect of it.

Anyway, we messed around with it, signed it and played around with colour changes, signature transpo's etc that's about all we could do with ONE SIGNED card. Therein lies the problem with reviewing the product on just THAT basis. once we'd signed it, that's all it could ever be! and without buying another Genii mag we only had one and ONE SIGNED card is NOT the product you get as a final product. But a decision had to be made by myself after seeing the secret. Do I stick with my preorder or let my disheartened attitude make me cancel? Well, I had my confidence in the DVD so I stuck with it and just said to myself "let's just see what the finished product is like".

A few weeks go by and then I receieve Crystal Method. Firstly, the packaging is well presented. The DVD is of excellent visual quality, clear and well presented. My DVD case was adorned with the signatures of all the creators too which was rather cool! And the packaging for the gimmicks themselves is rather neat as well. Rather than your average Bike card case, the gimmicks are held in a neat little plastic box with gold printed design and lettering. lol what can I say? I'm easily won over by nice presentation! With renewed excitement for the product I sat down to watch the DVD.

Crystal Method ROCKS! See what happened? I saw the sample, thought "oh dear", persevered, got the dvd and...."Crystal Method ROCKS" Now, maybe that's because I sat down and watched the DVD with excitement that's biased my feelings somewhat? Perhaps it's time then to try "you will name this card" on my friend who came with me to London. If it goes badly, then my excitement will be short lived. After all, the best test is a real world test. And no, he was not around when I received Crystal Method.

So I meet up with him and I say as an off beat casual question "just out of curiousity, if you were to name any card, what would it be?". He named the "Jack of Spades". I gave a little smile and proceeded to remove a pack of ordinary cards from their case. I fanned them to show him the faces and proceeded to take out and HAND HIM the jack of spades. "Hold onto this for a moment then as this is the card you named. Now you could have named ANY card, in fact, any one of these remaining 51 cards" I proceeded to turn all the cards over and show the backs as normal red backed bikes. "But you named THAT card there, the Jack of Spades, turn it over for me". He turns it over and right big and bold in front of him is a.......Crystal Method card! HA! lol :-p no, in all seriousness, in front him is a playing card that says "you will name this card". My friend's not easily amazed by much stuff being a magician himself but lol he was very confused!! "how the.....?..huh?" after I'd picked myself up from laughing at how well the first test had gone, and it wasn't even on a laymen, I simply smiled at him and said "Crystal Method" pointing at the card. After seeing what he'd seen in Genii he honestly didn't believe me! So I removed the gimmick and handed it to him. He was very impressed! reason's it worked? We chatted about it afterwords and he said the reason he dismissed Crystal Method as how it was done is because I handed him very confidently the card to hold onto. HE held it, HE turned it over..never me! Anyone who's read Kenton Knepper's Miracles of Suggestion should know being confident in performing gives off a powerful suggestion of cleanliness so it never crossed his mind during the performance the card he held was "dodgy" (lol so to speak). THIS is how to test if CM works!! NOT "hey mate, look at this playing card" HELLO?! that's as bad as "here I have a pack of ORDINARY 52 playing cards". The reason I performed it so calmly first time was cos it was purely for me to see if he'd notice so if the aim was to see if he'd notice, why panic about it? So I came across relaxed, he never noticed and was amazed by it, and therefore... Crystal Method works! However, from my experience with it, I'd personally say it works better on the BACKS of cards..very invisible!

Ive since come up with an effect I like to perform that gets great reactions (road tested on laymen) which is basically like Gobsmacked or Simon Lovell's "your card, my card" effect where they deal face up into a pile and stop whenever it feels right. The card is then shown to be the ONLY card that quite clearly says "you will STOP on this card" The beauty of this version as opposed to Gobsmacked and Your card, my card is that you can spread the remaining deck fully....there aren't any more gimmicks to find. oh, and their card they stop on is in their hand just like "name the card".

It's not all singing and dancing however as when compared to the REST of the cards, the Crystal Method'd card IS distinctly different on whatever side is showing the gimmick. BUT, work with it!! For effects like STOP as I call it, show the backs of all the cards, then turn them face up and square up into a pile on the table and talk to the spec about why they stopped on the card in their hand. It's a powerful technique of Time Misdirection. They're now thinking about why they chose their card and they CAN'T see the backs of the pack. When they turn over the card and see the "message", they are NOT going to go "wait a minute, this is a different shade of red!!"

Back to what you get. The DVD is packed with brilliant effects and not all of them are Signed effects (well, ive just named two for a start). One of my favourites which I performed first time a couple of days ago is a brilliant effect by Lee Hathoway which involves a pint of water. Now Im gonna come out and say it..the gimmick was NOTICED!! My Fault! Smacked my wrist already! Bad spec management! also bad positioning! I was performing in a pub for two female friends and one was sat right beside me! She noticed! So I just gave her a knowing wink and continued because I wasn't performing it on her anyway so the story continues. I did the effect on the girl opposite and you could have picked her jaw up from the table afterwards. That to me outweighed the mistake of two minute's prior! About the effect: It's a Non-Signed effect, very original and brilliant idea. There honestly is more to CM than signing cards. Get beyond signing cards and CM is a bit of a beauty.

I apologise for the length of this, especially as it's my first post, but I wanted to share REAL stories rather than speculation and short reviews that have currently plagued this topic thus far. I doubted it when I saw Genii but I stuck with it and to be honest, it's the Non-Signed effects that impress me the most and the laymen ive performed on thus far and they're on the DVD! Which you don't get the benefit of with Genii's ONE SIGNABLE card.

Like any Gimmick it needs clever thinking and spec management but that's the challenge of you as a performer to create, not the gimmick's!
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Nice to know I'm not the only one that likes it.....Now, I have actually discovered a way to remove the signatures from the crystal method card without ruining and destroying it. I have been using my first gimmick that I received in Genii for about 3-4 weeks now, and it is completely flawless. If you have any interest then PM me and I will share it with you. But only with proof of purchase of the DVD not Genii. Back to the effects. There is over 20 routines and ideas from these people which makes it already worth it. I have already sparked some ideas off of these tricks such as having their signature appear written on the box, under the cellophane so there is no way that you could have done it. If anyone is wondering, here is a picture of what you get:

On the left is the DVD. I preordered mine very early so I received a signed copy. On the right is my favorite. The crystal method case. This case holds the deck of 52 crystal method cards. It is very well made and has a nice gold engraving.

that's all I have to say for now. Hope those who bought it enjoy it.
Nico Zottos
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Hmmmm, I really don't care for this effect and I honestly don't know why I even posted here again.

Don't worry though...

I'm gone.
ElCineasta
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ElCineasta
Which "effect" are you talking about?

Crystal Method is a Utility device, not an Effect. The "effect" is whatever you decide to come up with to do with it. If the METHOD is what you don't care for then that's different and fair enough.
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Quote:
On 2008-07-22 19:57, Art190 wrote:
Hmmmm, I really don't care for this effect and I honestly don't know why I even posted here again.

Don't worry though...

I'm gone.

Don't you just hate the way that some people post on threads like this without having anything useful or relevant to say...

Bubble
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
"Don't you just hate the way that some people post on threads like this without having anything useful or relevant to say...

Bubble "

LOL Sorry but I cant help but LAUGH OUT LOUD at your statement. You said I posted without having anything useful or relevant to say...but look at your own post! What's so useful about your post?? LOL. I guess you hate yourself as well, or at least the way you post.

Well, I cant help it..I guess I'm back. I just felt I had to respond to your post lol.

PS: Sorry if I had nothing useful to say.
Lee_Hathaway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Lee_Hathaway
You're going Art? But the party's just started - we were starting to get on well....and you look cute in your pic ;-)
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Sarcasm must just be something that happens to other people! It was supposed to be funny. Not serious. Read it again. Possible ask a friend to help with some of the more taxing words and maybe just maybe you'll get it.

I increased the sarcasm a notch or too just in case you missed it again...

Bubble
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Quote:
On 2008-07-25 13:55, Lee_Hathaway wrote:
You're going Art? But the party's just started - we were starting to get on well....and you look cute in your pic ;-)

You see, Lee understands sarcasm. He also managed to throw in a little patronising as well... Good man Lee ;-)

Bubble
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Saying it was sarcasm is just an "out" for you.

Lee, yes I was going to leave this thread because I felt sorry for you guys. I didn't want to ruin your sales..I know you guys try very hard to get as much people to buy it as possible by saying great things about your own products.

Anyway, this time I'm really gone...no matter what you say Smile

Art
Lee_Hathaway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Lee_Hathaway
Oooh Art you're such a tease!

We should hook up...send me a bigger pic of you...you'd LOVE my bottom deal ;-)
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
I have to say at first I was excited about the possibilities with this card that I received in Genii, but after performing it I quickly changed my mind. Although most people still semi-enjoyed the effect, they definitely weren't astonished by any means. You can see it in their facial expressions when someone is completely blown away vs. being left highly suspect. I'm finding skepticism to be the norm when performing these effects. After discussion with some of the spectators most nailed it right on the head and thought they weren't really signing the card they chose, and that the card looked different like something was over it. Personally I only keep the best in my routines for the spectators sake of enjoyment, and for that reason this one is not going in the bottom of a drawer but the trash can.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Well...obviously you are not performing it correctly. The Crystal Method gimmick is invisible if you do it correctly. I have blown away people with the routines on the DVD. The DVD goes over presentational aspects that will help sell the fact that you have a regular card. A lot of people are jumping the gun here and thinking that they know everything just because they have Genii. Once someone actually purchases the DVD and says that Crystal Method is horrible and that you cant use it without someone noticing it, Then I will listen. Those routines were included in Genii because they aren't on the DVD. Angelo Carbone's fabulous creation is the only one on the DVD that is in Genii. don't judge the product before you experience the full blow of it.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1929 Posts

Profile of ted french
Can you perform this in the daylight without being caught?
P3
practice practice perform.
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Yes you can. You cannot perform it under bright fluorescent lights but any other lighting condition should be fine.
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
Actually Nico, judgment is to each his own, it's called freedom of speech. Since you are not as familiar, an open forum such as this is designed for exactly that. A heated or emotional response if you will isn't necessary because it it's not an argument but rather a collective arena for different perspectives. I'm thrilled that you enjoy the effect so much, I on the other hand do not. Accusations of mal-performance is childish behavior at best and not necessary. This diversity in opinions is what allows other readers to decide for themselves if this sounds like a good effect for them to invest in or not. State your opinions about the topic at hand and allow others to interpret it as they will. Let us focus on the effect itself and not each other, remember we are all here because we are magicians sharing a commonality of loving the art.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Crystal Method - By Darius - Impossible signed card effects » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL