We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Crystal Method - By Darius - Impossible signed card effects » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..17~18~19 [Next]
cardlover
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of cardlover
The last video posted is more of a forged signature from what I see and can be done, with just some duplicates with no need for some special card.

Like I said a while back...if your getting this to duplicate signatures, I think you will be a little upset.

This IS NOT a unique and easy way to get an exact copy of a spectator signed card.

If it was, it would be the strongest selling point possible and would be played up as such.

The effect shown, shows I nice and sneaky handling, but like I said, is not an exact duplicate and I don't think you can do a signature or an initial for that matter.


Am I wrong?

I don't think so.

I think it would have been better not to let people assume this.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Quote:
On 2008-06-23 19:22, cardlover wrote:
The last video posted is more of a forged signature from what I see and can be done, with just some duplicates with no need for some special card.

Like I said a while back...if your getting this to duplicate signatures, I think you will be a little upset.

This IS NOT a unique and easy way to get an exact copy of a spectator signed card.

If it was, it would be the strongest selling point possible and would be played up as such.

The effect shown, shows I nice and sneaky handling, but like I said, is not an exact duplicate and I don't think you can do a signature or an initial for that matter.


Am I wrong?

I don't think so.

I think it would have been better not to let people assume this.


You are absolutely correct. The only way the signature or initial can be duplicated is by tracing over the original onto the plastic sheet.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
I really want to get this too. Any GOOD points about the product?

I don't care who endorses the product, it really doesn't mean all that much to me. Just give it to me straight. Thanks.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
ziatabari
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of ziatabari
.tthat clip was an improptu pub performance shot on mon night. There are fresh videos now on youtube of loads of ideas with crystal method. So funny people are just stuck with signatures in their mind ! The dvd is very long. Top performers and creative ideas. Pro quaility and worth a good watch . This will shortly be reviewed too. If you cant see all the potential this creates that the top performers here in the uk use and have top routines with then please do not write on this blog. This is a creative forum Smile
Lee_Hathaway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Lee_Hathaway
Hi guys,

The video of Neil is shot in the pub on Monday night shortly after the Magic Circle so apologies for the quality but it's not supposed to be a professional edit.

The effect Neil is performing is Daniel Youngs signature transposition effect which will feature on the DVD. It's based on an idea of mine that you could trace a signature using the Crystal Method card under the guise of writing a prediction. Personally we've all performed this effect to many laymen in several situations and blown them away.

I think the important thing with that particular effect is you are only using the duplicate to flash the signed card briefly before the transposition and granted it wouldn't stand up to close-inspection. It's used more as an affirmation than anything. Plus at the conclusion they are left with their signed card to keep if they wish.

This is one of the ideas on the DVD using CM. It's a shame it looks to me like far too much emphasis has been placed on this aspect considering the many other things that are possible with a Crystal Method deck. I apologise wholeheartedly if this has been mis-interpreted from my original post on page 1 in which I said you could create a duplicate of their initialed signed card - however, this is entirely the perception an onlooker would have of the situation if you performed a routine into which this method fitted.

In Genii there are routines from ourselves and 3 which Jim Steinmeyer created which have nothing to do with this particular principle. My personal favourite routine with Crystal Method is called "Think Inside the Box". I created this routine and it goes down so well I now include it as a standard at all my gigs...there's a Youtube clip here...hope you enjoy it and realise some of the other possibilities...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYXZfS7cq......=related
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
261 Posts

Profile of Slappy
This should be called the "Blurry and Out of Focus Method" But then it would lose that cool "druggy" reference, huh?
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
ziatabari
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of ziatabari
Blurry and out of focus?

With Jim Steinmeyer (David Copperfield creator)
Angelo Carbone (many top TV magicians)
james Brown (Magic Circle winner)
Steve Della ( 4F and top card magician)
Neil Young (inventor of top selling Cannabis Card effect)

ALL on DVD ??

Slappy- why don't you watch the DVD first then comment.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
When's it out though? I placed an order a while back and have heard nothing...
I've asked to be banned
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Well I got to page 3 and lost the will to live,glad to see this page seems normal.

I don't care what the trick is called but it is a worker.The free methods in Genii are great for starters.

If anyoen can post what page trick discussion resumed on Id be grateful. Smile
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Well, I for one absolutely love the trick. The possibilities are really endless with this gimmick. I have been using it for about a week now and I really like the idea. I think everyone was expecting something really close to real magic but that wasnt what they got. The gimmick is not that visible. If you worry about it, the spectator will find it. The gimmick comes into play on the offbeat of the tricks so it doesn't have all the heat on it. The spectators don't ALWAYS SIGN THE CARD. This is what Darius has been trying to say. Not every trick utilizes the gimmick as a signature duplication such as Lee Hathway's Out of the Box routine(which by the way is absolutely great Lee!).
I know that this DVD has been made top quality and has some of the top minds of magic in the UK involved. No doubt this will have some great material....I have heard great things about James Brown's Omni Deck 2 routine which is really sounding great. I can hardly wait for my dvd to arrive....I ordered it about a month ago. But hey, Everyone has their own opinions and types of magic.

From me guys, GREAT job!

-Nico Zottos

PS: All you guys saying you aren't going to buy it....GREAT! Let me keep this gem all to myself Smile
El Satanico
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of El Satanico
I managed to fight my way through some over zealous and borderline fanatical hatred of this effect based on it's name alone, I think we finally put that to rest but the one thing that has really saddened me is calling the creators of this effect to task over the "hype" surrounding the effect.

They have released numerous videos of the effect prior to it's release.

They then released more candid "in the pub" performances - so you the buyers could actually see audience reactions.

They gave the gimmick away FREE in Genii, so you can start to work on your own effects.

They have the buy-in of some of the biggest names in magic - not wanting to resort to pandering, but if magicians of the calibre of Jim Steinmeyer, Steve Dela and Angelo Carbone are backing this why would we call it into question? Especially why would we question it without having actually seeing the multitude of applications?

Far from hiding behind hype I think that the guys from the MagicCave have done everything in their power to disspell the myth and give us all the full facts. It's a far cry from the MTV style, jump cut, computer generated video promos we've become inundated with - instead of welcoming the real world performances they were told they were grainy! British pubs are pretty "grainy" at the best of times!

Maybe people will decide not to buy this based on the name alone, for some maybe the "guilt" around utilising the gimmick will count them out, but for the rest of us this is a wealth of opportunity.

Incidentally, an exact duplicate of their signed card, on the fly? I know a method - even as we speak I'm having custom pockets manufactured large enough to accommodate my photocopier...

Matt
ziatabari
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of ziatabari
GOOD NEWS! We will be posting orders at the beginning of this week!
The DVD is PACKED full of effects- check the reviews that will be shortly appearing!

Thanks

Darius
El Satanico
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of El Satanico
Hi All,

I went to The Magic Cave in Covent Garden today and saw the DVD's ready to roll. The DVD itself is a testiment to the thinking and the intent of the guys behind the project. Far from being a "one trick pony" it's over 2 hours of ideas from some really great names. I'll be picking mine up tomorrow.

Hopefully, the debate around the naming of an effect can be laid to rest and the true measure of it's worth be written on the faces of the people we perform this to. I for one am looking forward to coming up with my own effects and seeing what else the magic community can come up with using The Crystal Method as a jumping off point.

Matt
CardSnark
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of CardSnark
But how can the spectators not notice the blurry card, unless the card is in terrible lighting like in the video? And doesn't having to hold the deck while they sign take something away from the effect?

EDIT: I'm wondering if the same effect or even better couldn't be done with some a household material and a little ingenuity.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 13:17, El Satanico wrote:
I managed to fight my way through some over zealous and borderline fanatical hatred of this effect based on it's name alone, I think we finally put that to rest but the one thing that has really saddened me is calling the creators of this effect to task over the "hype" surrounding the effect.

They have released numerous videos of the effect prior to it's release.

They then released more candid "in the pub" performances - so you the buyers could actually see audience reactions.

They gave the gimmick away FREE in Genii, so you can start to work on your own effects.

They have the buy-in of some of the biggest names in magic - not wanting to resort to pandering, but if magicians of the calibre of Jim Steinmeyer, Steve Dela and Angelo Carbone are backing this why would we call it into question? Especially why would we question it without having actually seeing the multitude of applications?

Far from hiding behind hype I think that the guys from the MagicCave have done everything in their power to disspell the myth and give us all the full facts. It's a far cry from the MTV style, jump cut, computer generated video promos we've become inundated with - instead of welcoming the real world performances they were told they were grainy! British pubs are pretty "grainy" at the best of times!

Maybe people will decide not to buy this based on the name alone, for some maybe the "guilt" around utilising the gimmick will count them out, but for the rest of us this is a wealth of opportunity.

Incidentally, an exact duplicate of their signed card, on the fly? I know a method - even as we speak I'm having custom pockets manufactured large enough to accommodate my photocopier...

Matt


I REALLY don't want to be negative here but..

I honestly don't care for endorsements. We all know how "friends" help friends...so, telling us "so and so" thinks it is hot won't make me reach for my wallet any quicker. If that is the selling point..well.

I hope it does well though, very creative.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2008-07-13 14:39, CardSnark wrote:
But how can the spectators not notice the blurry card, unless the card is in terrible lighting like in the video? And doesn't having to hold the deck while they sign take something away from the effect?

EDIT: I'm wondering if the same effect or even better couldn't be done with some a household material and a little ingenuity.


The card is only blurry on its own. Once held against the deck/another card, you can see the card below it crystal clear.

As for holding onto the deck, have you never done that for a spectator to sign a card? You hold the deck like a table for them to write on.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Lee_Hathaway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Lee_Hathaway
Quote:
On 2008-07-13 14:39, CardSnark wrote:
EDIT: I'm wondering if the same effect or even better couldn't be done with some a household material and a little ingenuity.


To be fair, the same could be said of so many effects on the market. Besides which there are also routines on the DVD that utilise the entire Crystal Method deck. Sure, you probably could make yourself a deck if you really have that much time on your hands and don't care for the ideas on the DVD or the integrity aspect. (plus it would look shoddy)
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
I played with a very similar a couple of years ago (and I have the same nickname as the creator!!!), but I thought it wasn't that good then, and going by what I got with Genii, I still don't think it's that great.

I don't see the point of having a card signed if it can't be examined, and in my professional work I would say more than half of my spectators ask if they can keep their card, which with this is a big no no!

Still, just my opinion.

Darius
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1926 Posts

Profile of ted french
I think a drawing would be more appropriate, with identity theft as high as it is I would be upset if someone kept something with my signature.
P3
practice practice perform.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Here is my take.

I got the card that came with genii. ok I was intrigued.

so as a little test

I put the card on the deck ( no writting on it ). asked my fiance to look at the card ( the top card of the deck, that had the "secret card" on top of it )

"hey take a look at this card"

"Ok, (squints) whats wrong with that card?"

result, not new technology. new trash. new technology would be totally clear with no glare. I understand why its frosted, but it just doesn't work in all situations it seems. I can see it working well however in a low light restaurant environment.

my fiance is pretty laymanish, I know its not the same but after 2.5 years false transfers, DL, and a even a TT vanish of a silk still fool her.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Crystal Method - By Darius - Impossible signed card effects » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL