We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Crystal Method - By Darius - Impossible signed card effects » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..17~18~19 [Next]
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2152 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Why name an effect and put the attraction the name of a drug that is destroying people quicker than Herion? It's insensitive and irresponsible as I stated before. The effect directly relates itself to the drugs name and the creator seems to think that catchy names refering to illicit, poisinous drugs is a good marketing ploy.

A majority of todays up and coming performers are young teenagers, why even imprint the fact you would associate your product with such things?

Again, it's not the name Crystal Method, it refers directly to Crystal METH with the caps. It's emphasizing the drug. I've lost several friends to this monster and yes I am very sensative to the subject, but at the same time I'm very sensative naming any of the thousands of products we release and market.

Magic has already started to take a dark plunge with effects of self mutilation, ripping out eyeballs and now drug related names for effects.

Yeah the future of magic is looking bright, but this just takes away from it and it's a shame to see talent resort to this type of hype and marketing.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Verifythisnow
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Verifythisnow
Tell me Mad Jake, are you actually mad? There are many people out there who have lost themselves to mental illnesses and many familys which have suffered because of a member with a mental illness.

Quote:
You ignorance and arrogance to a rising society killer of the young pretty much shows how little you care about a crisis that drug related in the US and spreading as quickly as aids

Your disregard to a huge tragedy in society that affects people of all ages shows how little you care about a mental crisis that affects a huge portion of society.

Now honestly, I don't't care that you have Mad in your name. But if you are going to make an argument against this name, please, follow the argument to its logical conclusion don't just stop to prove your point. Everything which can have a negative connotation should be attacked as Amiable pointed out so well.

Quote:
No the name is very much in context of the drug

Can you please explain how the effect relates IN ANYWAY to the drug other than in name.

I'm not sure why you're attacking me, I was simply giving my imput. I'm not looking for a fight here, just a discussion. Please understand that I am not condoning the drug and I do understand its huge problem in society and I'm sorry that you know people who are involved with it.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2152 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2008-06-01 17:44, Verifythisnow wrote:
Tell me Mad Jake, are you actually mad? There are many people out there who have lost themselves to mental illnesses and many familys which have suffered because of a member with a mental illness.

Quote:
You ignorance and arrogance to a rising society killer of the young pretty much shows how little you care about a crisis that drug related in the US and spreading as quickly as aids

Your disregard to a huge tragedy in society that affects people of all ages shows how little you care about a mental crisis that affects a huge portion of society.

Now honestly, I don't't care that you have Mad in your name. But if you are going to make an argument against this name, please, follow the argument to its logical conclusion don't just stop to prove your point. Everything which can have a negative connotation should be attacked as Amiable pointed out so well.

Quote:
No the name is very much in context of the drug

Can you please explain how the effect relates IN ANYWAY to the drug other than in name.

I'm not sure why you're attacking me, I was simply giving my imput. I'm not looking for a fight here, just a discussion. Please understand that I am not condoning the drug and I do understand its huge problem in society and I'm sorry that you know people who are involved with it.

Your false sense of caring is about as sickening as the name of the effect. There is no Justification in a marketing ploy that indicates illicit or illegal drug use and it's not good for magic. A majority of the visitors here are younger children and adults.

The creator seems to have a trend starting and thinks he can use the drug related names to be effective while they are nothing more than incidious.

You childish attempt to distract the thread with a possible mental illness is just justifiable as Crystal METH.

Quite frankly, the name of the effect is a disgrace to Magic. Yes, it makes me MAD to see crap like this as it gives magic a bad name and again shows that the creator is trying to market with the idea of what is popular drug abuse by both young adults and youths.

You can make fun of me and throw the light off subject at hand by suggesting my mental state. But again, out of 1000 products we've produced we have not found it necessary to relate our products to illicit drugs.

Agai, the creator is indeed creative, but a trend appears when he is naming his effects after drugs, is he on Meth or Weed?

You say you're not looking for a fight, well stop making silly accusations about my mental state. I think I'm stable enough to run a company that is the 2nd largest US producer in professional magic without taking my state of mind into consideration.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Verifythisnow
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Verifythisnow
Jake, I apologise, it seems you took my comments the wrong way.
I was not making accusations about your mental state, merely pointing out that the name of something doesn't always make reference to its content. Your username is called Mad Jake, but I do not think you are making fun of people with mental illness, in the same way this effect is called CRYSTAL METhod and I do not think it has anything to do with the drug, or is making fun of a bad thing.

I wish you would stop attacking me and attack the arguments. I do not want to derail this thread, so I will not comment on this particular happening again. If you wish to discuss this further then PM me, otherwise lets just leave it at this.
Lee_Hathaway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Lee_Hathaway
The 2nd largest producer of magic in the US? A drug which is spreading as quickly as Aids? Destroying people quicker than Heroin?

Before I can even begin to respond to your ridiculous arguements would you mind citing exactly where you get your "facts" from?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2008-06-01 04:24, Mad Jake wrote:
The effect looks great. The name is horrible. While I'm not one to usually delve into being politically correct, this is an exception.

With Crystal Meth being one of the largest growing drug epidemics in the US to hit the streets and destroy lives, why would play on drug names being used as a product incentive or play on words? Drugs are a huge society problem and these effects seem to mock the serious issues that young people and society face.

The marketing ploy is a turn off and revolting. I personally wouldn't support anyones work that takes such a dim view at a drug that destroys lives.

Jake

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you do NOT drink Coke, or support anyone who does?

You should also realize that you discussing it as much as you are does nothing BUT promote and support the product.
'Don't care what they say, just spell my name right' and all.

If you really want to get up in arms about things like this, take it out on ALL the products, magic and not, that play on the edgy.

I think naming an effect "Stigmata" is more offensive. Playing on, what some consider, a religious miracle, and making "entertainment" out of it.

What's next, and effect called "Jihad?"
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Coke doesn't kill people and is far away to be connected to or even sound like Cocaine even thou it was once part of the recipe...

What Jake means is that the creator just didn't name his effect simply Crystal Method but rather CRYSTAL METHod and that in my opinion is WRONG and clearly implicating the drug. Why did he name is prior effect CANNABIS? Don't tell me he didn't know what it meant and that it is the 'only' and 'appropriate' name for it. The only individuals who do this are either irresponsible and very immature or are using the drug themselves.
There is no other 'healthy' explanation for this 'word play'. Why not call it crystal clear or clear method?

My two cents on this.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
If his goal was stirring up message board chatter by choosing a controversial name, mission accomplished.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2152 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Yes I can see why now he would want to associate the trick with Crystal METH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXcx6yeZ6yI&watch_response
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 01:58, Silvio Solaris wrote:
Coke doesn't kill people and is far away to be connected to or even sound like Cocaine even thou it was once part of the recipe...

What Jake means is that the creator just didn't name his effect simply Crystal Method but rather CRYSTAL METHod and that in my opinion is WRONG and clearly implicating the drug. Why did he name is prior effect CANNABIS? Don't tell me he didn't know what it meant and that it is the 'only' and 'appropriate' name for it. The only individuals who do this are either irresponsible and very immature or are using the drug themselves.
There is no other 'healthy' explanation for this 'word play'. Why not call it crystal clear or clear method?

My two cents on this.

Um, "coke" does kill, and "coke" is to cocaine as crystal meth is to meth amphetamines.

But to argue Coke doesn't kill people, while neither does Crystal METHod.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Are you telling me that Coke is as much an illicit drug as methamphetamine is?
Even thou it is not good for your body I haven't seen people die from it like Crystal Meth.

The word Coke has other definitions like: a solid carbonaceous residue derived from destructive distillation of coal. Crystal Meth has NO other definitions and could not mean anything else.

The example you are trying to state should be: Coca / crystal meth

I still think it is wrong no matter what kind of excuses there are for naming the effect this way. Period.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

It's a shame because the effect is actually really cool. There is no need to give it a controversial name so people pay attention to it.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
People have been OD'ing on coke for years, and no, coca would not be the appropriate comparison, as cocaine is very clearly and commonly known as "coke" just the same as meth amphetamine is known as Crystal Meth.

Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

It's still lame to compare Coke which is also a soft drink to crystal meth which is just that. There is no other definition or product for 'Crystal Meth'.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 22:56, Silvio Solaris wrote:
It's still lame to compare Coke which is also a soft drink to crystal meth which is just that. There is no other definition or product for 'Crystal Meth'.

But there IS, the very one we are talking about.

That's just what I am saying.

To complain about a "product" called "Crystal METHod," is no different than to complain about a product called "Coke."

Both are street names for serious drugs, and both are ALSO names of products. ALSO, both products got their names FROM their respective name sake drugs.

Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
OK, can we now have some useful discussion on the 'Impossible signed card effects' By Darius? Thank you. Smile

Quote:
On 2008-05-23 14:14, themagiczone wrote:
I you want my money in advance show me what it is or at least a proper demo, would you buy a new "anything" for $50 without going into a shop and seeing it or at least know what you were buying?

Is it possible to see an unedited demo of the effect as seen by the spectator(s)???

No? Smile

Thanks anyway!

Smile

MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Actually Coke(the drink) had a small amount of cocaine in it when it was first produced. Before people say anything about this here is a source proving the point. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola with the facts about Coke(the drink) it has been linked to other issues even after the cocaine has been taken out. With this said, I am trying to point out that not all things are what they seem and if you are an individual who thinks it is unethical because of children, then most things in this world are unethical! Also I personally believe it is the parents responsibility to educate the child from right and wrong. This is much more than an issue with Coke(the drink) and Crystal Meth the trick, this is an issue with society and Social problems.

In my opinion this is not something that should even be discussed on these boards, however this is a public place and we all have the right to discuss it.

I wish everyone would leave the title of the trick alone and focus on the effect! It is for sure one effect that is devastating and looks like it will be a huge success.

On another note, I opened up Forgery for the first time in a while and started to play with it, the effect can be done with forgery and does look good(real good), but if this is as clean as it seems it for sure will be a great addition. Heck combining forgery and this might be a real shocker!

Sickmagic!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 02:41, sickmagic wrote:
On another note, I opened up Forgery for the first time in a while and started to play with it, the effect can be done with forgery and does look good(real good), but if this is as clean as it seems it for sure will be a great addition. Heck combining forgery and this might be a real shocker!

Hmmm! That is worth giving it a thought.

Thanks Sickmagic!

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
If this will work in conjunction with Forgery, that'd be great, if it is able to replace it . . .

I really shouldn't even be thinking that, lol.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Crystal Method - By Darius - Impossible signed card effects » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL