The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Wedding Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I am looking for any input you guys would have on doing a 10 minute show for weddings...I am basically looking for specific routines where the bride & groom are the stars of the show...or if anyone has had any experience doing things like this...post here or PM me...Any and all help is appreciated...

Nathan
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Confabulation.
dual drawing dupe - look into the work of kennedy.
a version of reminisence would do nicely.
perhaps linking finger rings - many mentalists use this, although I don't.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I always shy away from standup at a wedding, especially using the bride and groom. My thought is that it's their day.

The only wedding I performed a standup show was for my niece.

I will perform closeup however.

Good luck on this one.

J
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
I perform at weddings every week. stand up performance just after dessert. very pop here.
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Me too. I perform at weddings. My material doesn't change enormously from any other close-up environment apart from a couple of routines which I drop.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Call me Nathan, or Jim or J ack
(Criss Angel calls me something else for I ruined his shot at real US TV.)

If you do not have my number send me yours and I will call you when you like.

I have something I used at a bridal tradeshow sort of thing that made all of the women tear-up in a good way.

Quite moving and impressive at the same time.

Even my agent at the time was moved the first time I did it and said "You just may be a devil"

That pleased me becouse my grandmother who is 94 and one of my best freinds often calls me a devil.

J IAMCk

No spell checked used for I do not cRE
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Quote:
On 2008-04-30 17:11, johncesta wrote:
I always shy away from standup at a wedding, especially using the bride and groom. My thought is that it's their day.

That is why I am looking to do stuff that makes them the star of the show...I want to be performing wallpaper...

Nathan
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
What I meant was is that it's their (bride and groom) day and a wedding seems very busy during the reception. It seems as though the bride and groom want to visit with everyone and everyone wants to visit with them. So, to disrupt that seems to be too much. That's strictly my opinion.

I would imagine others perform stand up at weddings. I don't.

J
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
With just a short time to perform I'd use 2 BIP books. It shows how "in tune" the happy couple are.

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I see what you are saying John...however I have a special circumstance...I will be working with the best wedding DJ in my area...he puts on a show & people hire him for that reason...I just want to add to the circus, but still remain in the cut...if that makes sense...

Nathan
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2008-04-30 20:15, nathanpain wrote:
I see what you are saying John...however I have a special circumstance...I will be working with the best wedding DJ in my area...he puts on a show & people hire him for that reason...I just want to add to the circus, but still remain in the cut...if that makes sense...

Nathan

Sure, I think there are times when it makes sense. My statements are just general in nature and from my perspective. Go for it. I would make a quick fun thing out of it 10 minutes max.
John
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Fair enough, Thanks for the input. Smile

Nathan
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
In Larry Becker's "Stunners", he has an effect titled "Match Game." The Bride and Groom could be used as the participants.

It looks like this idea has been developed into the effect he now sells (Mentalism Unlimited) titled "Baffling B.S. (Bumper Stickers)". I'm not saying they use the same principle but the effect is a bit similar and gives you an idea of the "Match Game" except that the two participants make the choices.

I've never used the effect but it is humorous and may have possibilities for a wedding.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Nathan, I would suggest you try forgoing complete mentalism and add in a routine called Anniversary Waltz. Just reqork the routine to fit a newlywed couple instead of a couple celebrating their anniversary. Just my opinion, but it is not the trick that is going to make the experience memorable for them AND put the emphasis on them, but the trick and script in concert. Anniversary Waltz has that. Just my opinion.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Yeah,

I got a PM involving the "waltz"...thanks for the input guys...

Nathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Wedding Mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL