The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Prediction-ary by Frank Velasco & Devin Knight (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
You can use a borrowed dictionary, but you will leave a circled word in the dictionary. You must be sure that will be ok with the host. Most people won't mind.
There is virtually no setup. You can do this effect by circling a number in the yellow pages or white pages. Some of these ideas are mentioned in the directions.

Devin
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
So you are saying that predictionary gimmick can circle a thought-only word frm spectator; WITHOUT he/she told you the word even in the minute before he opened the dictionary? Then it is real magic/
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Yes, the word he is thinking of if found circled when the opens the dictionary in his own hands. He need NEVER tell you the word. The word is not written down at anytime yet your prediction is 100% correct. The secret is ingenious. Sounds impossible but you can do this effect. You can do it with a borrowed dictionary and even leave it for him to examine afterwards. He can tell you the word AFTER the dictionary is in his hand if he wishes. You never touch the dictionary after he says his word in my version.

No electronics and you can TRUTHFULLY say you don't know the word he is thinking of, you really don't. Yet your prediction is correct. Nope, no dual reality. Just say darn clever thinking from the late Al Mann, Frank Velasco and myself. All combined to make for one of the most impossible and strongest mental effects you could ask for.

Devin
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
There may possibly be a book released on this gimmick. I know that Frank and I haven't even scratched the surface. In addition to our ideas we have 3 other contributors that submitted ideas for this release.

After it is on the market, I will invite buyers to submit their ideas and routines for this gimmick. If we get enough quality routines and I do mean QUALITY, then I may consider compiling them into a book of effects with the gimmick. If your contribution is selected for inclusion then you will get a free copy of the book.

Whether the additional book is published will depend on how many submissions I get and if they are worthwhile.

Details on how to submit your routine will be included in the directions. I won't post the information here. If you have actually bought the gimmick, you will know how to use it and where to send your routines for possible inclusion.

Devin
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6185 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I was sent an early draft of this about a year ago. It does everything they say it can. This is one of those things that can clearly go in many directions. For instance, you have a booklet of all the possible drawings that a person draws and in the end the person picks one drawing, draws it, and then he finds that it is the only drawing with a circle around it.

My only regret is that I moved some of the emails I was sent to another file and somehow lost a few of the pictures they sent of it. I do have enough to probably reconstruct everything if need be.

I saw it listed at Hocus Pocus and at forty bucks it's a steal. Once you know what it is you can construct what is needed for various presentations, books, etc.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Thanks for all the rave comments guys. I know some of you saw Frank's early draft a year ago. The concept in this early draft was simply brilliant. However since then the idea has been improved and I've tripled the size of the directions with additional ideas not in Frank's early draft.

Improved handlings of the gimmick are in the current release. The bookmark has been improved (for those in the know)and is now in full color. For the price this kit will be a bargain. It will even includes the special markers that I developed to enhance the effect even more.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
A lot of people PM and ask the same question. So I will answer it here. Yes you can do this in ANY language. If you live in Germany, use a German dictionary. The gimmick works for any language and any dictionary.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1855 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 17:17, magicbuilder wrote:
Yes, the word he is thinking of if found circled when the opens the dictionary in his own hands. He need NEVER tell you the word. The word is not written down at anytime yet your prediction is 100% correct. The secret is ingenious. Sounds impossible but you can do this effect. You can do it with a borrowed dictionary and even leave it for him to examine afterwards. He can tell you the word AFTER the dictionary is in his hand if he wishes. You never touch the dictionary after he says his word in my version.

No electronics and you can TRUTHFULLY say you don't know the word he is thinking of, you really don't. Yet your prediction is correct. Nope, no dual reality. Just say darn clever thinking from the late Al Mann, Frank Velasco and myself. All combined to make for one of the most impossible and strongest mental effects you could ask for.

Devin

Hmmm. Sounds perfect. I can't believe it can live up to this description. But I hope I'm wrong.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Many things I release such as Double Coincidence seem completely impossible, yet it was accurately described and did everything as promised.

This no exception and it is so simple you will say, why didn't I think of that.

Devin
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 19:20, Greg Arce wrote:
I was sent an early draft of this about a year ago. It does everything they say it can.
Greg

Greg has seen the gimmick and he has verified it does what we say.

Quote:
On 2008-05-07 09:44, Y2John wrote:
Hey... just thought I'd chime in on this thread with my thoughts on this.

Everything Devin has said is true.

I can safely say that this will be something that many of you will be able to utilise and perform, and is something you should definitely be keeping an eye on as it really is as good as it sounds.

Those who have seen the advance release know this is everything we claim and more!

Devin
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6185 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
And remember, guys, when you describe an effect for sale you tell it from the point of view of a spectator. You tell everyone what a spectator would see and think if they saw the effect. You don't tell it from the POV of a magician.

Imagine someone describing Ambitious Card: I signed a card, he put it in the MIDDLE of the pack and it suddenly appeared on top. And he did it over and over. I saw it go in the middle myself. I even put it in the middle myself and it still came back to the top.

That's how they see it. Would the ad work if you said, "So you do a double and show them their card. Turn over the double then take the top card of the double and push that into the pack. They will think it's their card, but their card is still on top" and so on

Greg

P.S. Whenever I read these threads on a new effect I get the weird feeling that some people are actually expecting real magic. It's as if they are really thinking someone will finally put out something that really vanishes a coin or really makes you float. It boggles my mind. We are tricksters. What we sell are tricks.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1855 Posts

Profile of Platt
I don't totally agree, Greg. This is a magician's forum. Not a layperson's. We're all familiar with Ambitious Card here. If someone were to release a new version of Ambitious Card, the specifics become very important. It's not enough to simply explain it from the layperson's POV. When you're dealing with an effect that's become practically a catagory of magic, specifics become extremely important. Another example: Out of This World. If I were to release the same old version of OOTW and describe it from a spectators POV, everybody would think I had developed something new. And the truth would be that I hadn't. Is that fair? I'd say it's deceptive. Here we're dealing with essentially a book test. I could give a description very similar to Devin's with numerous book tests on the market if I was taking the liberties of describing it from a laypersons POV. Would that be fair? I'm not making any judgements on this effect because I know nothing about it. I'm just saying Devin's description seems to leave out some important information. Again, I truly hope it's not. Let's keep it fair, by keeping it real.

Best,

Platt
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6185 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, Platt, I think enough specifics have been given when they described this effect. I always wonder after so many descriptions are given when someone asks stuff like, "so I can float out in the open and they can look under my feet and it can be seen from 360 degrees and someone can actually pull me back down." Yeah, right, for 60 bucks they can actually make you float. We've actually come out with a technology that out does NASA and you can buy it for $60

What has been said about this effect is true. It is based on a new type of gimmick that has its history in old ideas, but further enhanced. But guess what? you are still not really reading anyone's mind here.

greg
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Platt, we have a new type gimmick here and some advanced handling of old ideas including in one effect a one-head that is done AFTER the fact without any force of a word. This alone is going to blow magicians away.

The problem so many magicians have is that they try to figure out how something is done based on their limited knowledge of that effect. If something can't be explain based on their knowledge of magic, then it must be untrue or something has been left out. Many people fail to realize that perhaps a new method or device OUTSIDE of their knowledge has been created.

We've shown this to people like Richard Osterlind and he said he hadn't seen this type of gimmick before used in this way. Michael Weber saw the gimmick and did somw research and couldn't come up with anything exactly like this. As far as my research goes, nothing has appeared in print that uses the gimmick we have.

I can safely say that people who buy this are going to pleasantly surprised that we do have something NEW here. Something that you can't say is just an old idea released again. This gimmick allows you to take old ideas and do things not previously possible.

Yes this release IS that good. I know it a bold statement and I am not trying to brag but this really is a new gimmick.
Devin
Ezzet
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweden
391 Posts

Profile of Ezzet
When When When. Me want.

Ezzet
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
938 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Hello

Hocus Pocus is taking pre-orders at:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?hn=1

They should be shipped at the end of next week to Murphy's.

Thanks!
Frank
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I also have them available direct from me.
They are in stock now.

Devin
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1855 Posts

Profile of Platt
Devin, I have no doubt you have something new. My questioning has to do with your description. I don't expect real magic. But if I'm going to part ways with my $40, I do expect the product to live up to your carefully chosen words. The "from the spectators POV" thing doesn't cut it. If it's that's the only way the effect lives up to the blurb, preface the blurb with "from the spectators POV." Or "here's how the spectator will remember it..." You've boldly stated the following description in this thread several times now:

A word is thought of by the spectator. HE NEVER TELLS it to the magician EVER. The person doesn't write the word down either. The word is a free selection in his mind, he doesn't choose from a printed list of words. The magician hands him a dictionary with a page bookmarked. The magician says to the spectator if he opens to the bookmarked page he will find a word circled that defines the word he is thinking of. The person opens to the book mark page. REMEMBER he has never told the magician the word in mind. DESPITE THAT, the circled word on that page is the definition of the word he just thought of. Baffling beyond words. 100% foolproof and works every time.

Occasionally I consider purchasing an effect simply to alleviate my curiosity. This would be such a time. $40 is quite a price to pay for such fleeting satisfaction. But if what you say above is true, you won't hear me complaining. If what is said above is not true, I'll of course be vocal. You've got me thinking like a newbie again, Devin, and that's a good thing.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5653 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 00:16, Platt wrote:
Devin, . . . . You've boldly stated the following description in this thread several times now:

A word is thought of by the spectator. HE NEVER TELLS it to the magician EVER. The person doesn't write the word down either. The word is a free selection in his mind, he doesn't choose from a printed list of words. The magician hands him a dictionary with a page bookmarked. The magician says to the spectator if he opens to the bookmarked page he will find a word circled that defines the word he is thinking of. The person opens to the book mark page. REMEMBER he has never told the magician the word in mind. DESPITE THAT, the circled word on that page is the definition of the word he just thought of. Baffling beyond words. 100% foolproof and works every time.

We all know it’s no real magic. This is just NOT possible. For the effect to take place, at some point of time the chosen word has to be boldly & openly disclosed.

There are similar effects out there using various methods to mark a word including the good old cut out window on a page marker strip. I have my own effect where I use a graphite paper along with a specially designed p*** m***** which transfers a permanent elliptical mark around the chosen word. But to do that one MUST know the chosen word.

I needn't say more.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 00:16, Platt wrote:
Devin, I have no doubt you have something new. My questioning has to do with your description. I don't expect real magic. But if I'm going to part ways with my $40, I do expect the product to live up to your carefully chosen words. The "from the spectators POV" thing doesn't cut it. If it's that's the only way the effect lives up to the blurb, preface the blurb with "from the spectators POV." Or "here's how the spectator will remember it..." You've boldly stated the following description in this thread several times now:

Platt the above description is true, it is part of a two word routine. Where two words are found circled in the dictionary. After the first word is discerned you attempt it with a second word. This word is just in his mind, is never written down and he need NEVER tell you word UNTIL after the effect. Despite that the prediction is true. I know the description sounds impossible and this is NOT from the POV but what actually happens.

I've asked a few mentalist who have seen my method, if the above could be construed as being hype or false advertising. Everyone who knows the secret has agreed the description is 100% accurate. Two words selected in his mind (he can change his mind)
you divine the first one and then the second one.

He doesn't even have to tell you the 2nd word at ANY time, even after the effect yet you will have circled a word that DEFINES the word he is just thinking of. I didn't say the exact word. That would be too perfect of an effect. If a person is thinking of a word and you can circle one word that defines the word, it appears to be real mindreading. The word you circle will define his word 100%. Yet there is NO dual reality. Other people in the audience can be shown the circled word. In fact if you want to you can do this with ANY dictionary he gives you and leave it with the two circled words for him to examination until the cows come home. Nothing will be found amiss.

I invite you to be vocal IF what I have said ISN'T true or is just from the spectator's POV. I try to be honest in my descriptions. Yes like most good magic writers I leave some things out of ads if it may tip the method. However, this is not only what they see, it is what actually happens.

No you don't really read minds, but this looks as close to it as anything you could do. It is so clean you will laugh at how simple it is to pull off. I just did some strolling magic this weekend and I did this over and over and everyone was talking about that thing I did with the dictionary.

Devin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Prediction-ary by Frank Velasco & Devin Knight (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL