The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Prediction-ary by Frank Velasco & Devin Knight (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 00:34, Ustaad wrote:

We all know it’s no real magic. This is just NOT possible. For the effect to take place, at some point of time the chosen word has to be boldly & openly disclosed.

There are similar effects out there using various methods to mark a word including the good old cut out window on a page marker strip. I have my own effect where I use a graphite paper along with a specially designed p*** m***** which transfers a permanent elliptical mark around the chosen word. But to do that one MUST know the chosen word.

I needn't say more.

Smile

In all respect I must humbly disagree with my TWIN THOUGHT routine, the second word does not ever need to be said or written by the participant. The word is only in his mind.
You tell HIM NOT to tell you the word or anyone else. You hand him a dictionary with a bookmark. He turns to that page and opens it, there on that page is ONE circled word. Not a note, not a bluff, but one circled word that completely defines the word he is thinking of. You can just say am I correct? He will say yes. Even then he need never tell you the word he was thinking of. The effect is over, he said you were correct. To tell you the word, would be meaningless. This can be done one-on-one for one person if you want to. Since you have circled a word that defines his, you picked
up the image of word from his mind.

Again there are NO CARBONS, NO BOOM Writers, No Nail Writers. They can burn your hands yet your prediction is 100% correct.

There really is a way to know a word someone is thinking of only in his mind. Al Mann
described the technique in a very rare manuscript that is no longer available. (even from Lybrary)The principle was known as the Scorpio Principle. For those mentalists who know what the "Scropio Principle" is please DO NOT post what the principle is within this thread. This is just a clue for those who say such a thing can't be done.
If you know Mann's Scorpio principle then you know you can REALLY divine a word in someone's head.

For some background. Mann devised a way that would allow you to divine a word written on a slip of paper. He advertised that NO IMPRESSION devices were used and that NO PEEKS were used. He truthfully claimed that the mentalist need NEVER touch the slip of paper (even secretly at any time) Yet you would know the word. This was known as the Scorpio Principle. I took his basic idea and expanded using the Predictionay gimmick. Since you really never needed to touch the slip of paper and no impressions were used, I figured WHY BOTHER. Let the person just keep the word in his mind and never tell you. Yet you will know the word.

NEED I SAY MORE?

Devin
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
I don't own 'Prediction-ary' but I want to back up Devin's claim that it's perfectly possible to do a two-word revelation where one thought-of word is never disclosed, forced, written down etc. I've done it and so have others.

Until this thread, I didn't realize that the concept originated with Al Mann - thanks for the reference!

The problem is, if Devin goes into more detail how this works, you will immediately guess the idea and be able to use it. I suggest just taking his word that it can be done... when you read how, you'll smack your forehead (and maybe dismiss the concept on account of its simplicity.)
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2038 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Malchat, I'll take it even further: it's possible to do a single-word revelation, where the word is merely thought of -- never written, spoken, etc. I've been doing it for a few years now. And while I very much doubt that mine is anything like what Devin has come up with, it is entirely possible to do.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Yes, a single-word revelation is possible. I've been doing one too, but I didn't include it in the manuscript. I have to keep something for myself. I just like the two revelation better because it gives a bigger climax for the second word since it was never written or spoken.

devin
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5654 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 08:21, magicbuilder wrote:
For some background. Mann devised a way that would allow you to divine a word written on a slip of paper. He advertised that NO IMPRESSION devices were used and that NO PEEKS were used. He truthfully claimed that the mentalist need NEVER touch the slip of paper (even secretly at any time) Yet you would know the word. This was known as the Scorpio Principle.

I am well aware of Al Mann's Scorpio Principle (I am referring to Scorpio's Curve). IMHO using the suggested principle could be a bit dicey. For example, let us consider (with out giving away - hopefully!) the example in the booklet. One could inadvertently think 'Hate' for 'War'. Moreover the mentalist needs to handle that special something for a very brief moment so as to get the desired information.

Kindly allow me to quote Platt once again.

Quote:
On 2008-05-11 00:16, Platt wrote:
Devin, . . . . You've boldly stated the following description in this thread several times now:

A word is thought of by the spectator. HE NEVER TELLS it to the magician EVER. The person doesn't write the word down either. The word is a free selection in his mind, he doesn't choose from a printed list of words. The magician hands him a dictionary with a page bookmarked. The magician says to the spectator if he opens to the bookmarked page he will find a word circled that defines the word he is thinking of. The person opens to the book mark page. REMEMBER he has never told the magician the word in mind. DESPITE THAT, the circled word on that page is the definition of the word he just thought of. Baffling beyond words. 100% foolproof and works every time.

If you read the highlighted portion you will agree that using the Scorpio Principle is in direct contradiction to what has been said. Of course, unless you have modified the method drastically in that case the Scorpio Principle becomes irrelevant.

I have no intention of confronting the newly released effect. Please consider this to be a healthy discussion.

With kind regards.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I have modified it greatly it is an improved way of doing the Mann principle with NO chance of failure. I've overcome some of the weakness of the Mann effect. Of course this is just one of many effects in the release. The basic effect from Frank just has someone calling out a word and it in found to have been circled in a dictionary. The applications for the gimmick are almost endless. Applying the Scorpio Principle to it is just one of myriad of possibilities.

Devin
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6194 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I just got the new reworked manuscript. It's great! For $40 bucks you are getting a great gimmick and lots of routines and subtleties. You can easily make this into a showstopper. I can see this being used to impress a future client and they get to keep the dictionary that now has their thought of word circled.

I also sent two other ideas to Frank so if he chooses to I don't mind if he gives them out to the buyers of Prediction-ary.

You are getting a lot for your money here. I've seen small ebooks with just a few effects sold for more than this and this comes with the gimmicks you need and many ideas and routines.

This is well worth the money they are pricing it at.

greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
516 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Placed order with Hocus-pocus....eagerly awaiting this one!

Paul h.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
I am seriously considering buying Predictionary, but it appears that a new dictionary is required each time you do the routine. Is that correct? Also, because of the possibilities of this routine and gimmick, have you considered a "purchaser only" forum for an exchange of ideas on the effect? Thanks, Lee
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Dollar stores sell close out dictionaries for 1.00 each. A dollar is a low price to spend each time you do this effect if you want leave it with the participant. A new dictionary is not required each time if you don't leave it with the person. I can't go into anymore details without tipping the methods.

Devin
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6194 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
As Devin said, you only have to worry about it if you are going to give the dictionary away at the end of the effect.

Greg
LAmaze5410
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of LAmaze5410
This is right up my alley, I'll have to grab this one too.
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
516 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Just let them examine the hell out of it....then take it away, as if you "need to take away the evidence"!

Paul h.
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
1) Does it invovled suggestion method? (if so, it is not 100% proofs)
2) Will it be available at Penguin? and how to buy direct frm you?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6194 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
No suggestion. They actually see the word circled in the dictionary. No instant stooging or dual reality.

Greg
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1804 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I just order from HP, as well, can't wait for this one! Smile
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2495 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
HP will have them in stock this Friday and will start shipping them out then.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5654 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-05-13 18:50, Paul h. wrote:
Just let them examine the hell out of it....then take it away, as if you "need to take away the evidence"!

Paul h.

Is that the clue to the secret gimmick?! Smile

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
938 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Ustaad

I geuss you will have to buy Predcitionary to find that out!

Frank
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5654 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Yes Frank, I will have to get this one. I don't think I can wait any longer. I was waiting for a review, but I think I will get it with out the review (after all so much has been already discussed). Smile

Seems to be a great effect. Some great thinking has gone into PREDICTION-ary.

Wish you & Devin Good luck!

Regards,

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Prediction-ary by Frank Velasco & Devin Knight (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL