The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » New? Pouch Site (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Maybe you've seen it before, but have a look at Pock-its from NiteIze.

http://www.mypockits.com
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13404 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
As long as people don't see those things during your performance I think they can be fine. You don't want to look like you just got back from the Outdoors superstore.

People make jokes about pocket protectors and people wearing swiss army knives on their belts for a reason. The reasons might be unfounded. But they are still with us.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Here's the one I liked:
http://www.mypockits.com/product_info.ph......s_id=118

The original pock-its
http://www.mypockits.com/product_info.php?products_id=33
is an interesting holster as well. Frank suggested "as long as people don't see it. . . " that's true. These aren't "pretty" so they aren't meant to be seen, but fortunately the original pock-its is nearly flat.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Great find. Great site.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I bought a little pouch from the hardware store that looks just like a really mini-gib...wore it for about 2 months.

Now it sits in my magic room...cuz it looks like a tool pouch, not a magician's pouch. What does a magi's pouch look like?

Well, I'll answer that by saying it doesn't look like a tool pouch, a camera bag, a cell phone holder, or a fanny pack (sorry Brits).

I've worn a few different modified bags before I bought some real pouches...all I can tell you is that the person who hires you for big bucks doesn't wanna see someone that looks like they put their costume together at Walmart!

These pouches are a great idea for the hobbiest, or for going over to a family dinner, or if you have a real job and just want your toys on your body, ready to amaze with at a moments notice.

But PLEASE leave that stuff at home and step up to products made for magi if you're going to a paid gig. Let's raise the bar here fellas...let's look the part Smile
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-05-03 07:04, Chad wrote:
I bought a little pouch from the hardware store that looks just like a really mini-gib...wore it for about 2 months.

Now it sits in my magic room...cuz it looks like a tool pouch, not a magician's pouch. What does a magi's pouch look like?

Well, I'll answer that by saying it doesn't look like a tool pouch, a camera bag, a cell phone holder, or a fanny pack (sorry Brits).

I've worn a few different modified bags before I bought some real pouches...all I can tell you is that the person who hires you for big bucks doesn't wanna see someone that looks like they put their costume together at Walmart!

These pouches are a great idea for the hobbiest, or for going over to a family dinner, or if you have a real job and just want your toys on your body, ready to amaze with at a moments notice.

But PLEASE leave that stuff at home and step up to products made for magi if you're going to a paid gig. Let's raise the bar here fellas...let's look the part Smile

Okay, I need to respond to that a bit.

Quote:

To a spectator, they all look the same. Sorry to break it to you Chad, but spectators don't know the difference between a Pro Carrier and a cell phone holster, nor do they know the difference between a fanny pack and a busker's pouch.

Quote:

Seen your avatar lately? - sorry, but you opened the door on that. I don't have a problem with teh classic busker look, but frankly it does look like you assembled the uniform at wal-mart (so did I, that's kinda' my point). The price you paid for an item doesn't determine its quality or its appearance. From a spectator's point of view, a busker's pouch looks like a nail bag.

This is indicative of a trend I've seen growing in the magic community. We've forgotten our humble beginnings where we took everyday objects and modified them for our own use. We've become spoiled, and ultimately have lost some of our creative roots. If it wasn't "made for magicians" - we don't want it, because it doesn't "look like a magician's pouch".

Let me pose a question. What would a spectator say if you asked them what a magician looks like?
"Top hat, tux, cape."
What would they say if you asked them what a "magician's pouch" looks like?
"Magician's have pouches? Hmm, I guess they need to carry stuff to?"

Look around Chad. Find someone who isn't wearing a cell-phone pouch on their hip - it doesn't count if it's in a purse.

I'll give you a personal example to close:
I walked into a restaurant magic interview in my typical outfit (jacket, slacks, and a T-shirt) with my day to day items holster on my hip. I bought the holster at Orchard Supply Hardware for $5. The restaurant owner asked to see a trick, so I took my cards out of the main pocket. He immediately commented that having a holster to hold the "tools of my trade" and keep them organized was a sign of professionalism. I got the job, but when I came in the first night (I don't usually use a holster when I'm working) he immediately asked where it was.

My point is, the uniform is whatever you allow your spectator's to percieve it to be. He saw an organized pouch holding my props, and in his mind, it became part of my uniform.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Dbaker, you may have stepped into this one. I know Chad and have seen him work the streets. He, seriously, is up there with Jimmy Talksalot and Bobby Maverick. The avatar mau not show it but he looks professional. Chad also can draw a tip when I couldn't get 1 person to stop (that may not be saying much.) His hat lines are great and he gets good hats. In short he does know of what he speaks.

I spent a couple hundred for my pouch from Frank Starsini's site http://www.theambitiouscard.com and it was well worth the investment. I use it all the time. Sure beats the crap out of a Home Depot tool belt.

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-05-03 14:27, Paddy wrote:
Dbaker, you may have stepped into this one. I know Chad and have seen him work the streets. He, seriously, is up there with Jimmy Talksalot and Bobby Maverick. The avatar mau not show it but he looks professional. Chad also can draw a tip when I couldn't get 1 person to stop (that may not be saying much.) His hat lines are great and he gets good hats. In short he does know of what he speaks.

I spent a couple hundred for my pouch from Frank Starsini's site http://www.theambitiouscard.com and it was well worth the investment. I use it all the time. Sure beats the crap out of a Home Depot tool belt.

Paddy

That I may have Paddy, that I may have.
However, I would like to point something out. I made no attack on Chad himself. I pointed out the irony of his Wal-mart statement compared to his avatar, which I also stated specifically that I had no problem with and made note that when I busk I wear a similar outfit.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Dbaker, your presumption that everybody is a hack and looking for the cheapest possible solution to their prop management issues is where you go off the tracks.

Chad's street cred is FAR higher than your own, and your recent posts reduce your own cred to a point where it's impossible to take anything you post seriously.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-05-03 18:39, silverking wrote:
Dbaker, your presumption that everybody is a hack and looking for the cheapest possible solution to their prop management issues is where you go off the tracks.

Chad's street cred is FAR higher than your own, and your recent posts reduce your own cred to a point where it's impossible to take anything you post seriously.

Please show me where I said anything to that effect silverking.

It amazes me how you people keep refuting statements that I never made, and that you do it so very adamantly.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
"You People".......are you kidding?

I think this linked thread below is an excellent example of your writing style in question............especially the second page where you attack anybody who has a different viewpoint than your own, including Jamie Grant, James Clark, Dannydoyle, Frank Starsini, Dave V, and Joel from High Calibre Magic, all of whom have worlds more experience than you do.

Or are these just more of the "you people" you refer to in your above post?

James Clark from "Street Magic" magazine summed up your posts as "pure horse crud".

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

Your post above in response to Chad's post expressing his opinion on the appropriateness of WalMart tool bags for the working busker or magician comes across as offensive dbaker.
If you mean it to then you've certainly achieved success.

If you don't mean it to, then you may want to work on how you communicate with those who hold opinions different than your own.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:

Repeat: Please show me where I said anything to that effect silverking.

Ah and on to the post at hand - changing the subject, how quaint. Very useful when you've said something untrue isn't it?

1) I believe I complemented Frank twice on that page alone making note as to why his products are completely excluded from the point I was making.
2) I thanked DaveV for making the first relevant post.
3) Danny? I didn't even see his post. I did after running through just now, but I completely missed it before.
4) As for Grant and Clark, oh well - can't win 'em all.
5) Joel earned himself a lot of respect for remaining civil during that thread. Especially since his was the product being challenged. Such is why I've not commented on his products since, unless I had something nice to say.

Quote:
Your post in response to Chad comes across as offensive dbaker. If you mean it to then you're certainly successful.
If you don't mean it to, then you need to work on how you communicate with those who hold opinions different than your own.

My post was in responce to direct, pointless, and baseless personal attacks. If it was offensive, then too freakin' bad!
My initial response to Chad was a statement of my own opinion, which he followed with a cowardly assult on me, rather than trying to make a stronger point.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
You seem to thrive on confrontation..........see ya'.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
A thank you to whomever on the mod staff removed Chad and I's exchange.
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
93 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
All this pouch grouching aside.

Wouldn't it be great if all your props could magically appear at your finger tips?

Way more planning and practice though.

But just imagine, you are about to do a ring and rope routine with a 3 1/2 inch ring. Instead of reaching into your pocket and pulling out something that is only recognizable to equestrian enthusiasts and bondage experts you pull your wedding band of your ring finger and stretched it out to the size you need.

This is my hope and dream.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 11:18, Bill Wood wrote:
All this pouch grouching aside.

That was pretty funny, Bill.

As you said, it would be awesome if your props could simply appear. Another Café member posted a topit variation that would allow you to vanish props at your fingertips and have them go back to your pockets for the next table. Your hopes and dreams live on Bill. Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13404 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Pouch Grouching! Why didn't I think of that line?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
I know, that's a good one isn't it.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I've got a laced Gazzo pouch that I use with Gazzo's cups and a hat load. I've also got a little pouch that is extremely deceptive and small. I use the little pouch for a set of smaller cups that fit lemons. I load 4 lemons with that little pouch. The little pouch also holds the little cups and the small balls. One nice thing about the little pouch is that people can literally be right on top of me and my table and they don't see a thing because the pouch is so small and its opening so narrow. I make good hats with that pouch. It's black now, but it was brown when I bought it. I used shoe polish to paint it black. It costs me 12 bucks. I bought it a B&B hardware. I get big crowds with that little pouch and small cups and 4 lemons often. They're stopping, and clapping, and paying for me not my pouch.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
ferrari
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ferrari
I use a leather fanny pack keeps my prop organized
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » New? Pouch Site (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL