The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sizing a mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hi guys,

I am placing a mirror in an illusion and the mirror is too long by only about a 1/8" - much to short to cut off by scoring and breaking. I was about to cut a small dado in the top of the cabinet to account for the extra length, but I thought I would ask around first to see if there is a good way to grind a bit off the edge of a mirror to shorten it a bit. The mirror is 38" x 15" and it is the 15" edge I need to grind.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I suggest taking it to a local glass/mirror dealer. They have the equipment to do it correctly.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Or you can make another piece to the correct size, which may be quicker. The edges should be hand sanded which will help avoid breakage later on. Use a sanding block and start with 120 grit then finish with 250 for good luck.

I've found that sometimes using power equipment may break the glass. However if you have a belt sander... that will work much better then an orbital or disk sander.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
830 Posts

Profile of lin
I'd second taking it to a glass shop or cutting a new piece as the easiest, most accurate, and least frustrating answers. But... if you were willing to experiment, you could try grinding the edge off with a fine grit grinding stone in a dremel tool.

In stained glass work, intricate pieces of glass are often shaped, or cleaned up, on a glass grinder. If you do try using a dremel, use plenty of water to lubricate the stone as you work--a squirt bottle works well--and be prepared for flying slurry (eye protection, outdoors). I have used a glass grinder, but have never tried using a dremel in this way--no idea how successful an idea it might be!

best of luck, whatever your process,

Lin
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
830 Posts

Profile of lin
Sorry, forgot to add: The dremel wouldn't give you a completely even edge, and you would definitely want to finish it off by hand as suggested above.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
If you do it yourself, Make sure you wear a LOT of protective gear! One mistake can cause a lot of damage!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Did you see the video on youtube where someone cuts THIN glass with a pair of scissors?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2RLzzNNNwg
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Thicker glass = bigger scissors? Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Tempered glass = chainsaw? Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
For smaller pieces of glass you can cut it with a tile cutter, like those from Harbor Freight. The diamond cutting wheel will work just like a table saw. Be careful! Proper (eye) protection should be used at all times! This method will also allow non-straight cuts if done with great care.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sizing a mirror (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL