The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jay Johnson in Pittsburgh (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Went to see Jay Johnson: The Two And Only at the Byham Theater in Pittsburgh Saturday night. (Roughly 4.5 hours drive each way.)

My wife, son & I arrived early to check in at our hotel, then met up with Ken Groves and his wife Ruby for dinner. After dinner we walked to the theater, which was a lovely restored vaudeville house that seats around 1300.

Ken had just finished working a cruise and decided he'd get tickets at the door. When he went up to the window, the clerk told him the front row had just been opened. (Not sure, maybe Jay holds that in case he has guests?) Anyway, Ken was getting front row seats so I joked with him about ordering my tickets back in Dec. and getting stuck way back in the 6th row. The clerk asked if I'd like to be upgraded - so we all sat together in the front row!

Jay's show is wonderful. He covers the history of ventriloquism and his own career in a fast paced 90 minutes. One moment you are laughing, the next you are fighting back a tear. His technique is incredible and I found myself lost in the illusion. At the end, he received a well deserved standing ovation and as he took his bow, handed the Peeper Eyes he used for Spaulding to my son.

After the show, Jay signed autographs in the lobby. We were able to meet with him and even get a picture. He is truly a class act and this show is one you should make every effort to see.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
What a wonderful experience you had Tom.

Congratulations.

It was obviously a very long drive, but well worth it.

And your story about how you ended up in the front row with Ken Groves is amazing.

Perhaps he'll take his show on the road to Canada (onoe day).

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Jonathan,
Couldn't believe my luck on that one. There is a pic of Jay and I attached.
He's really an amazing talent - and very nice.

Click here to view attached image.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I am JEALOUS! wOW!!! Would love to see Jay Johnson live and have your experience. What a great experience for you and your son!
Chris
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Chris,
Check his web site for tour dates. He will be setting more soon from the sound of things.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Thank, Tom, will do!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Great picture of the two of you Chris.

Congrats.

You both are beaming.

Jonathan
Jonathan
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Had to share this - I e-mailed Jay's site to thank him for taking the time to talk with me. (Wasn't sure he'd even see it.) I also wanted to ask him a question regarding his microphones, which I never saw. He took the time to personally reply. I am now, without a doubt, a certified Jay Johnson fan.

Think I'll go buy all four seasons of SOAP on DVD...

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
It is a shame that Jay sdoes not sell any recent DVDs of his superb work.

I suppose this is for a reason, on his part.

Perhaps one day he will.

For now, th esop episodes are the best bet. As I learned frm the Café, a few of these episodes can be found on youtube (ie Jay doing a mentalist routine).

Cheers.

Jonathan
Jonathan
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Updating this thread - I saw Jay again this evening (Sat. Oct. 24th) at the Majestic Theater in Gettysburg, PA. (30 minutes from home this time...)

Because this was a one niter, he didn't have the full Two and Only Show, but did a cross between it and what I assume were parts of his cruise and corporate act. Excellent evening! If he comes your way, I highly recommend you catch the show.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
You are one very lucky ventriloquist, Tom.

And for those of us not fortunate enough to be in the geographic vicinity of Jay's live show, his DVD will be coming out... when???????? Smile

I still appreciate the extra efforts you made to send me over a signed copy of Jay's previous show.

Very thoughtful.

Many thanks.

Did you get to speak to Jay , again, after this last show?

Jonathan
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Hmmm... Tom... are you "sure" you went to see Jay "in person" at the Byham Theater in Pittsburgh back in May 2008???

the link you posted showing you and Jay... well, frankly it looks "doctored".

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/uploa......7_jj.jpg

Kind of "split screen" effect, wouldn't yo say?!?

If you "did" manipulate that photo to create the illusion that you actually met Jay in person, then how do we know you truly saw Jay's show LIVE and in person at in Gettysburg on the 24th of October????

Next thing we know, you'll be telling us that Jay Johnson actually performed right in yoru very own town!!!! ... and , after that... in your living room!!!!!!!!

;) lol

Signed,

Respectfully envious,
...in ever so growing colder Montreal,

The ventriloquist with chattering teeth Smile

Jonathan
Jonathan
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Jonathan,
Now that you mention it, the pic does look suspicious... But my living room isn't big enough to hold his set, so I won't even attempt the last claim. Smile

Since we met last year, Jay has been kind enough to e-mail with me several times. He offered great advice when I was having trouble staying focused during my street performances last summer. My wife and I were invited backstage after his show, but we didn't stay long. He was packing props for shipping since he was flying out in the morning. I did run out to my car and get my "Two and Only" NY poster for him to sign.

Not only is Jay a heck of a nice guy, but he's mega-talented. Just thinking about his show makes me realize how much more I need to practice. His mastery of amplitude is incredible. Watching his "box trick" is a lesson in the illusion of throwing your voice.

Stay warm!
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Your comments and account of your last encounter with Jay were both interesting and quite credible, Tom.

If your living room is not big enough for Jay's Two and Only show, perhaps he will (one day) agree to do "half" of his set in your living room... treating you to his performance of "one and only". Of course this will meant that Jay will have to leave half his act packed away, but it still would be a treat for you to share tea and crumpets with such an nice and extremely talented human being.

In any case, thanks for sharing the inspirations of your meetings with Jay... If yo have not already done so, perhaps you should be starting up your Blog, or your Twitter account... seems like you have a lot of insights and experience of your own to impart... I'd sure read it!

Best regards,

Jonathan

PS: Light snow last week, mild weather today! Smile
Jonathan
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
When I met Jay at the vent convention this year, he was a super nice guy and even had some nice things to say about my show.

Super guy and very approachable.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I was kind of surprised this morning. Jay actually mentioned me on his blog. Or did he? How many Tom's are there in the U.S.?

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
It was you he was talking about, Tom, I'm sure of it. I envy you that. Wish he'd play a venue in my neck of the woods!

-Philip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jay Johnson in Pittsburgh (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL