The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mark Wilson's Who's There (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I'm going to make Mark Wilson's illusion, Who's There. It is a framed door, mounted to a base with a curtain. Has anyone made this effect? Does anyone have pictures by chance? I'm looking for tips or suggestions.

My main question initially is should I put it on a rolling base. There would be some advantages in presentation to having assistants moving it around at the beginning, but I'm thinking it will be a major increase on the complexity. I'm leaning toward making it stationary. Any thoughts about this.

Also, is there anything I can do to improve my angles (for instance - side curtains)? Any help would be appreciated...
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Strength on any frame illusion is important. If you don't make throughout solid it will wiggle around throughout the presentation. The base, as in the drawing adds stability but an important factor of design is how the base is mounted to the door frame. The door needs to be at ground level or the illusion does not work. SOOOO you can add casters but they need to be housed inside boxes, with openings at the bottom, so they only lift the base a half inch maximum. The other approach is to make the base oversized just like a Mummy Case. This will give you that 10 inches you need on the side. If you make it along those lines you can add casters of any height or even legs. I would also add a skirt around the entire base for support.

I'd estimate that if you bought a door at the Home Store that it would take an average person a day to two days to make the more complex version. Have the store cut the 3/4 plywood to size, it's a real time saver. Don't get cheap, buy good wood, this is not the carnival, people are sitting closer then 100 feet.

You can also use wires to support the door frame and turnbuckles to remove the slack. It doesn't have to be exactly like the drawing shows, this is just a rendering of how the illusion works.

Improving angles would consist of the correct lighting to avoid shadows and also using a wide door. Work this all the way upstage too.

We are all assuming that you have a truck to take this to shows unless you hinge everything to fold over (hint).
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Jay - thanks for all the good suggestions. I started it today. I bought the casters that will be housed as you have suggested. The door will disconnect from the base so it will store flat. But it is still quite long - no way around that one. It looks like it will be a pretty quick and fun project. Thanks again...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I have built this illusion and can offer one main suggestion. Make sure you put some weights in the bottom of the curtain. When you step back and forth it has a tendency to wave from the movement of your body.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Another suggestion is to have a second frame covered in paper that is hinged on the opposite side of the door (instead of a curtain). It won't wave around and if you choose to, your assistant can break through the paper the second time the door is opened. You can also use a light to create a shadow making it appear that your assistant materializes.

For that matter you can build a main frame with two sub frames that swing in opposite directions and if the two sub frames are covered in paper, you don't need all the heavy weight bases. you don't need a base at all. This Frame arrangement can be moved easily too. I have one of these in the back of the warehouse and if needed I can produce a CEO with little effort.

Note: The Mummy Case and the Mummy Wrap are two different illusions.

Your assistant can learn to walk with the frame as you move it center stage but you'll need to try out the CEO because everyone has their strong points and they may not move well on the stage or can't remember because they have an important speech..... but it's an option that's better received then the Mummy Wrap, in many cases.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you want the ultimate in compactness, see Jim Gerrish's hand-held version of the Utility Cabinet in his PVC Pipe Book 1. It's all PVC Pipe and curtains.

Good luck with the door, Tony.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Another option is to build the production cabinet found in "Houdini's Magic" by Walter B. Gibson. It works on the same principle, yet it's easy to roll out onto the stage, in full view. I built a small and simple version, that didn't roll out on stage, and that was highly portable, when I was in high school. It was quite deceptive. I presented it as a shadow box.

The angles from one side can be a little tough to deal with, but I had an assistant to help cover that and it was all presented in the spotlight, to eliminate the bad shadows.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I was just told today about a version that has a little more depth than an ordinary door frame. As the door is rolled on stage, the magician is inbetween the door and the curtain. This allows the door to be spun around so the back can be viewed. Then the magicain goes behind the curtain and the tricks begin. You can even fit two people for a double load. Pretty cool, but my door frame is already set and not that wide.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Question - What should I use to weight the bottom of the curtain?
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
Probably a chain in the hem. A hardware store should have some options.
Mike
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
You can also use curtain weights. They are usually made of lead, and there are at least two types. The most common type looks something like a flat fishing weight or a large lead button or coin. You sew it into the corners of the bottom hem of a curtain (and at intervals in a wider curtain).

Another type of curtain weight is sold in lengths. It's a bit like a fabric covered lead bead chain covered in cloth (like a weighted shoelace). This type of weight lies along the length of the bottom of the curtain, inside the hem.

Lin
Ian Davis12
View Profile
New user
U.S.
17 Posts

Profile of Ian Davis12
Sorry to interupt the discussion on curtain weights but in the stage illusion section of the Mark Wilson book, which effect(s) do you guys think would be the most worth while to construct.

Thanks Ian
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
No pictures? I'd love to see what you came up with.

When I get more into illusions I'd like to construct the 'Who's There' also.
The 'Haunted House' would also fit my show.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Yes I would like to see pictures of projects made from the Mark Wilson Course in Magic also. Or even projects from Tarbell.
Thanks,
Bruce
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Hey Guys - Here is a pic...

Click here to view attached image.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I have spent a couple of hours trying to get these pics online. I can't figure it out. It shows and error on my end. Y'all can't see it can you? Any guidance?
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Tony,
No the pictures don't work... thanks for trying. When you get it figured out, I look forward to seeing them.
Thanks,
Bruce
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I put a note in the technical help area. They will guide me.

I'll post the pictures, but honestly it's not performance ready. I was trying to rush it for a large stage show that I do about once a year, but the base has some issues and the curtain needs a modification. I don't think you will notice these fine points in the pictures, though.

I have a new base that I am ready to attach. I'm going to add some type of curtain bar at the bottom. I currently have weights in the curtain but the door creates suction as it opens and moves the curtain way too much. I am going to add a rod to the bottom that will keep it safely in place.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Tony,
I am sure it will be cool when you are done!
Good luck,
Bruce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mark Wilson's Who's There (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL