The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » HVLP Sprayer Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hi guys,

Just a quick question for you guys who use HVLP sprayers in your shop. I bought an inexpensive gun this weekend hoping it would work with a small 2 gallon compressor. I hooked everything up and started to spray primer on a new prop, but the gun depletes the tank in only a few seconds and I have to wait a minute or two for the tank to refill. I realize the compressor is pretty small, but I thought I would get a little more time before the tank emptied. The finish worked great with an even coat and no runs or drips, but it took forever to complete the first coat. Is this what I should expect from a small compressor, or does this sound like something is not working right. Also, are there alternatives to buying a larger compressor for spraying paint. My shop is very small for the size of the props I have been building so one more big piece of equipment won't leave any room for me Smile

Thanks,
Richard
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
That seems too fast even for an HVLP gun with a small compressor.

It may be what it is, but I would check the bleeder valve on the compressor, as well as the drain valve under the tank if there's one. You may be having an air leak somewhere.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, Richard:

Have you looked at Rockler's HVLP set? It's the best 100 bucks I've spent on finishing in a LONG time -- I dumped ALL of my old high pressure cups and the compressor I used to run them.

It's a vacuum-cleaner sized unit that SOUNDS like a vacuum cleaner in use, but lays down a nice, even coat of lacquer; it's easy to keep a wet edge, easy to clean, easy to adjust. I don't use it for colours, but if I did, I'd be tempted to buy extra cups for the purpose.

Best of luck!

Now excuse me -- I have to run along and the sand the excessive cuteness out of my retinas after seeing George's cat working the Cups & Mice...
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I actually looked at that earlier, but decided at the time my compressor would work just fine. I'm rethinking that opinion now Smile

I just booked an unexpected show this afternoon, so maybe it's time to upgrade.

Do you ever have to stop painting to wait for the thing to catch up, or does it run pretty well continuously?

Thanks,
Richard
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2008-05-06 21:17, Leland Stone wrote:
Now excuse me -- I have to run along and the sand the excessive cuteness out of my retinas after seeing George's cat working the Cups & Mice...

--- Sigh --- Too much, huh?

I did like your expression, though. Never heard that one before. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Is the tank 2 gal or the feed per minute 2 gal?

These HVLPs chew up a LOT of air.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, Richard:

The Rockler unit is tankless (except for the cup itself), and it sprays a quart of material with no apparent degradation in performance. The transfer efficiency is amazing -- no bounce-back, and what's in the cup virtually all goes ON the surface, rather than into the air (or my lungs).

The ONLY complaint I have is the cup must be held in a nearly-upright position, which can make things difficult if you're shooting a lot of drawers or certain cabinet configurations. It's a minor problem that, for $100, isn't worth solving with a pricier, more complicated unit.

George: A card guy I used to know would get all moon-faced around his then girlfriend, and they would engage in the most vomitously cutesy-pie sweet talk and cooing around each other. It was excessive cuteness to level of retina sanding, resulting in an expression that's fun to use even for more tolerably cute instances. Smile
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 10:39, Leland Stone wrote:
George: A card guy I used to know would get all moon-faced around his then girlfriend, and they would engage in the most vomitously cutesy-pie sweet talk and cooing around each other. It was excessive cuteness to level of retina sanding, resulting in an expression that's fun to use even for more tolerably cute instances. Smile

Yechhh! Pass the hip waders, please. Smile
www.georgefledo.net

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Well, I went out last night and bought the Rockler HPLV sprayer. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Who knows, maybe this weekend I'll be able to start the detail painting on my new prop.

Thanks for the help guys! Smile

Richard
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
That house in New Orleans -- the one that ruined many a poor boy? I'm pretty sure it was a Rockler franchise. Eh, just a guess, based on the amount of money I've dropped at Rockler...enjoy the new toy! Smile
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
That's pretty funny Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Clean it out after every use or Rockler will see even more of your money
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I painted the prop this weekend and the sprayer worked great. I'll post some pictures soon. I have been hand painting a rosette design inside the box and I've learned that I am a lousy painter, but hopefully from a couple of feet away it won't look so bad. Hopefully, this week will allow me to finish up the detail painting, mount the gimmick, and start work on the door and two tubes. If all goes well, by the end of the month I'll have a good workable illusion for my show.

Thanks again for all the help Smile
Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » HVLP Sprayer Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL