The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Scotch and soda b**ger / brass r*** (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

demonray
View Profile
New user
Bethesda, Maryland
2 Posts

Profile of demonray
Hi guys! I recently got scotch and soda from the hollywood magic store.. got it for.. $20? $30 I think. strangely, it didn't come with the real 20c mexican coin. did they forget to place it in my package or do I have to get one in mexico? hehe ^_^

oh and.. I have a big problem.. I lost the b@n6er / r!n6 to reset scotch and soda @_@ it just disappeared from my bag that I use around to carry my cards and magic whatnot. is there any way or place that I can get one w/o buying the whole set? or should I get a new one and have for myself 2 sets of s&s and one brass r***, ba***r?

or, is there any other way to reset it w/o using it i.e. use pliers or something? Smile

thanks guys, I appreciate any replies, thanks for reading my post Smile
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
You definately have problems there guy. The best thing for scotch & soda is to use a bang ring and you can get just that at the Magic Warehouse. You should have received a Mexican coin too, but you can get that seperately also.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree, pliers wouldn't be a great idea here, and the coin should have come with a plain Centavo, too.

You can get a spare bang ring and one or two extra Centavos from most magic dealers or click HERE and HERE for some online sources. Good Luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Actually, most sets don't come with the extra coin. Johnson coins has two different locking models, one with the Penny and an extra coin and one with the Centavo and no extra coin. The $30 set of Johnson coins is the Centavo for most shops.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks for the info, Jeff, I didn't know that! But then again, it's been a while since I bought a Scotch & Soda.

When I got a few extra Copper/Silver coins last year, they did come in sets with an extra English Penny, so I figured the same would be true of the S&S set, but apparently that's not so. SETH
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...as mentioned, bang rings and Centavo coins can be purchased separately from most magic stores for not much money.

If you don't see them listed on a website, just ask.

Mark. Smile
demonray
View Profile
New user
Bethesda, Maryland
2 Posts

Profile of demonray
Thanks for the info Fingers! although I checked the website of the magic warehouse I couldn't find a bang ring for the half dollar ^_^ but thanks so much for the info!

thanks so much Seth! I'll probably order from the links that you gave me! thanks so much! Smile I should've order there int he first place seeing as it's the same price and it already came with the extra 20c coin. just a quick question tho.. theres a plastic bang ring and a metal bang ring. is there a difference? @_@ thanks so much!

thanks for the info Jeff, yeah.. mine just came with the two coins.. >.< hmm.. oh well! c'est la vie Smile

thanks for the info Mark, I'll be sure to ask if I come across any magic store before I order it online.

all your replies and time are very much appreciated! thank you!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
You're welcome. There is a difference in the plastic versus metal bang rings. The plastic ones aren't as sturdy. I, personally, like the metal ones. They are more durable and last a lifetime.

Hope that helps. Mark.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree, go with the metal bang rings. They aren't that much more expensive, but they are much more durable and also more likely to fit the coins properly. A plastic bang ring can get out of round fairly easily, and then it's more trouble than it's worth -- I know, because I had a few.

FYI, if you don't want to carry a bang ring around with you, you might want to look at the Royal Magic "Dime & Penny" set, click HERE for more info.

This coin set operates exactly the same way as a Scotch & Soda, but doesn't come with or need a bang ring (you reset the coin by gently shaking it in a glass). I use a standard 1 oz. shot glass to do this, which can double as a pre-show holder for the coins. I just put the dime on top of the penny, in the bottom of the glass, which keeps them in the proper order and away from curious fingers. You can then "pour" both coins out of the shot glass onto a closeup mat in a very natural fashion.

At $5 for the set, you can get two or three sets for backups and still spend less than you would for a Scotch & Soda set. With care, the coins should last for quite a while; I've been demoing the same Dime & Penny set for over a year now. FYI, I would not recommend the Johnson Dime & Penny set, which does need a bang ring and is more expensive than the Royal Magic one. Nor would I recommend the Daytona Magic Dime & Penny set, which is their own "house brand" and in my opinion, not as well made as the Royal Magic version.

There is also a decent DVD on the Scotch & Soda/Dime & Penny, click HERE to view. Good Luck! SETH
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2703 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I found on Penguin that they now carry a decent bang ring that is aluminum, and it's priced fairly.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=10659
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
If there's a coin shop anywhere around, you can often get 20 Centavos for under a buck.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Scotch and soda b**ger / brass r*** (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL