The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best routine in print for Twisting the Aces? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1152 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Was curious what in-print routine you all think is the best for TTA?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
The original found in: Dai Vernon's "More Inner Secrets of Card Magic" by Lewis Ganson. Other good variants are found in "Jennings '67" ’65 Twist (p. 226) & in "The Classic Magic Of Larry Jennings", Twist’ In II (p. 198).
Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Twin Falls, ID
580 Posts

Profile of Kex
Dai Vernon's original method is very solid and hard to beat. Nothing fancy but pure magic to the spectators. So I agree with KRZ4kardz on that one.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Personally Hollingsworth's Waving The Aces, or the Asher Twist (for one or two people),

but because of being virtually angle-proof, I do the original most frequently.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
My all-time favorite old stand by is Twisting the Spades. The Ace, Two, Three, and Four of spades turn one at a time, then the Four changes into a Four of Hearts and I show both sides of the cards. I have original patter about the Four being the "most emotional card".

The problem is...I learned this 25 or 30 years ago from a card guy in a convention session and I am not sure where to find it. I think it may one of a series that Marlo worked out using the Ascanio Spread. He published a few variants in the Linking Ring and possibly in Racherbaumer's Ascanio Spread book.

Not much practical help, but maybe someone will recognize it and point out the source.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
I like the original one.. And also the Hollingworth's Waving the Aces..
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
dragee
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of dragee
I also like the orginal handling by dai vernon.He also explain why is it call TTA.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I'm also partial to the original, with my second vote going to Reed's "McClintock Twist."
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
James Swain has a cool variation in "Don't Blink".

Rudy
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Does Roger Smith's "Maxi Twist" count? I really like that one.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Quote:
On 2008-05-07 21:28, Glenn Godsey wrote:
My all-time favorite old stand by is Twisting the Spades. The Ace, Two, Three, and Four of spades turn one at a time, then the Four changes into a Four of Hearts and I show both sides of the cards. I have original patter about the Four being the "most emotional card".

The problem is...I learned this 25 or 30 years ago from a card guy in a convention session and I am not sure where to find it. I think it may one of a series that Marlo worked out using the Ascanio Spread. He published a few variants in the Linking Ring and possibly in Racherbaumer's Ascanio Spread book.

Not much practical help, but maybe someone will recognize it and point out the source.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey

I think this is Brother Hamman's Second Twist from "The Secrets of Brother John Hamman" By Richard Kaufman
Donavon
View Profile
New user
Battle Mountain,NV currently in CT
47 Posts

Profile of Donavon
I like Gary Freeds N.F.W.. I don't think it's technically a TTA but it is a similar premise. Granted it's not impromptu but hey it's still a neat variation
Donavon
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 21:32, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-07 21:28, Glenn Godsey wrote:

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey

I think this is Brother Hamman's Second Twist from "The Secrets of Brother John Hamman" By Richard Kaufman

You may be right...it has a very Hammanesque feel to it. But I learned it at least a decade before that book was published in 1989. It seems like maybe I learned it from Ken Garr who may have learned it from Hamman. I saw Brother John perform in Kansas City in 1967.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Tina I
View Profile
Regular user
Oslo/ Norway
194 Posts

Profile of Tina I
Twisting the Aces is one of my all time favorites and I must admit that I have yet to see or come up with anything that beats Vernon's original routine.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2008-05-09 02:27, Tina I wrote:
Twisting the Aces is one of my all time favorites and I must admit that I have yet to see or come up with anything that beats Vernon's original routine.

You could try "Twist In a Glass" by Paul Hallas. In can be found on the "Clever Card Magic' DVD, some early notes of his or the upcoming "Magic From The Overground" book due out from H & R Books later this year.

Glen, why settle for one of the faces changing when all four can change suit? See Sam Schwartz's "Twisting THe Faces" in "Sam's" by Allen Zingg.

Plenty of references to Twisting The Ace effects can be found in the book "Small But Deadly" in the chapter headed "Vernon and the Twist'.

Paul.
JHNelson
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
120 Posts

Profile of JHNelson
I like the original Dai Vernon TTA because it's virtually angle-proof. Asher twist and twisting the Aces are alos good effects. Martin Nash's Omni Twist.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17147 Posts

Profile of joseph
Skinner has a nice version on his videos....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
[quote]On 2008-05-09 09:51, Paul wrote:
Quote:
Glen, why settle for one of the faces changing when all four can change suit? See Sam Schwartz's "Twisting THe Faces" in "Sam's" by Allen Zingg.

Plenty of references to Twisting The Ace effects can be found in the book "Small But Deadly" in the chapter headed "Vernon and the Twist'.

Paul.

Thanks, Paul. I have done Back Flip for decades, but I am not familiar with "Twisting the Faces". I need to buy "Small, But Deadly". Do you sell it, Paul?

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Hi Glen, as it happens, I do, (you can p.m. me for details)but its available from many dealers too. Whilst I discuss many 'twisting' variantions in effects, the methods are not revealed. The other book mentioned fully details the mechanics of Sam's routine.

"Twisto Blanko" previously on the market but detailed in the new Nick Trost book has a packet turning blank at the conclusion of the twisting.

Paul.
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
Another vote for Vernon....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best routine in print for Twisting the Aces? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL