The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best routine in print for Twisting the Aces? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
The only one I have learnt is Vernon's original, and it's so good I have no inclination to learn any other variation.
Visual, easy to follow and packs a punch, though I usually let the spec do the last twist to reveal the AOS. I use the line that the AOS is so familiar to me that it won't play along and let them do it, or if it's a lady spectator I say that the AOS only responds to a feminine touch.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1541 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Hollingworth's waving the aces
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
I know a lot but I mostly do the original - it has to be done slowly and with the right presentation. A lot of people do it too fast, and thus don't do the routine justice.
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
I have to say Brother Hamman's Final twist is extremely magical. And it has 2 if not more kickers at the end!!!
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
My current favorite is Chris Kenner's Twister. TTA+Reset. The aces turn face up one at a time, then change to jacks one at a time, then all change back to aces. Beautiful.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
I have always done Vernon's, mostly because it adds a little visual stuff to my otherwise very mental set of card tricks. Also, I like to do it in tandem with Dr. Daley's Last Trick.

I have had the problem that the patter seems to fall flat most of the time. I'm sure that if Dia was here doing it himself it would be amazing, but for a young guy it just doesn't seem to be working that well for me.

Thoughts?

Edit: Oh and somebody's suggestion on here of "handing them to a lady" to get the spade to come up...wow is that a serious miracle...just try it!
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2008-05-07 21:28, Glenn Godsey wrote:
My all-time favorite old stand by is Twisting the Spades. The Ace, Two, Three, and Four of spades turn one at a time, then the Four changes into a Four of Hearts and I show both sides of the cards. I have original patter about the Four being the "most emotional card".

The problem is...I learned this 25 or 30 years ago from a card guy in a convention session and I am not sure where to find it. I think it may one of a series that Marlo worked out using the Ascanio Spread. He published a few variants in the Linking Ring and possibly in Racherbaumer's Ascanio Spread book.

Not much practical help, but maybe someone will recognize it and point out the source.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey

Glenn, that effect is in "Secrets of Bro. John Hamman" by R. Kaufman (second variant). The addition of the 4 of spades changing into the 4 of hearts is a nice eyeopener/kicker!

Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 21:32, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-07 21:28, Glenn Godsey wrote:
My all-time favorite old stand by is Twisting the Spades. The Ace, Two, Three, and Four of spades turn one at a time, then the Four changes into a Four of Hearts and I show both sides of the cards. I have original patter about the Four being the "most emotional card".

The problem is...I learned this 25 or 30 years ago from a card guy in a convention session and I am not sure where to find it. I think it may one of a series that Marlo worked out using the Ascanio Spread. He published a few variants in the Linking Ring and possibly in Racherbaumer's Ascanio Spread book.

Not much practical help, but maybe someone will recognize it and point out the source.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey

I think this is Brother Hamman's Second Twist from "The Secrets of Brother John Hamman" By Richard Kaufman

OOps...sorry for stealing your thunder Leo. I should have read all the replies before responding!!

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
I'll vote for Peter Duffie's "A Twisted Tale" from his ebook "Card Flair".

It's actually a joining of Vernon's TTA and the Hofzinser Card Problem and gives excellent motivation for the aces turning over, the last face down ace being the actual selection.

Well worth checking out.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I prefer Vernon's original, which I usually follow with Vernon's Variant. "Here, you take the Aces. I'll take four indifferent cards. It won't work for me, cause these won't twist, but you'll see how confusing it gets for a magician when the Aces twist on you..."
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4570 Posts

Profile of Sixten
After I perform Mr. Vernon's original, I go immediately into Scotty York's
'Pineapple Twist'.
Thank you, Mr. York!
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
152 Posts

Profile of swamy
Three variations to the Twisting the Aces effect:
1. Hamman Twist (only face of the last card changes)
2. Twisting the Aces by Ichiro Araki (only back of the last card changes)
3. J. Mendoza's Twisting the Aces (both the face and back of the last card changes)
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1089 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Vernon's original wins for me as it is angle proof, but the given presentation sucks. This effect is also crying out for a kicker ending, as the last Ace turning over is a little unimpressive.

You get a much better reaction if you use the A, 2, 3 and 4 of Spades as the magic is clearer (participants know which card has already turned over).

I have also developed a few variations of TTA over the years, and tried several different kicker endings. I've also toyed with the idea of using a H****r wallet to twist the last card - this floors people as it seems to eliminate the possibility of SOH. I've even got notes somewhere for a version that fuses TTA with Roy Walton's Card Warp!

I'm planning on putting some of these kickers into a book in the near future. Here are some of the effects that I'm thinking about including:

Tribute to Vernon - The A, 2, 3 and 4 are Twisted in the usual fashion. As a finale the backs of the cards change colour and then the 2, 3 and 4 turn into the other 3 Aces.

Ghostless Twist - Same as the above, but involves no false counts!

Trans4mation - The Aces turn into the four Kings, then one of the Kings invisibly jumps from your pocket back into your hand. Finally, a King selected by a participant vanishes from their hand and appears your pocket!

WFN - After twisting, the 4 Aces turn into 4 Jokers.

Finally, Sean Fields has an excellent version called InconTWISTant in his "Bootlegs and B-sides" notes that I perform when I want a change from TTA. Here's a link to a YouTube video of the effect:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dKDOHZJbras

Marty
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
I like French Twists by Richard Vollmer from Impromptu Packet Tricks by Aldo Colombini. A long routine to remember but worth it.
I like Richard Vollmers work anyone know if he wrote any books?
martin1025
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of martin1025
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 15:18, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
I like French Twists by Richard Vollmer from Impromptu Packet Tricks by Aldo Colombini. A long routine to remember but worth it.
I like Richard Vollmers work anyone know if he wrote any books?

Same here. I like the effect because it becomes more magical as the trick progresses.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
I really like "Twisting the Night Away" and a variant called "Four Riders of the Apocalypse."
keith1569
View Profile
New user
California
87 Posts

Profile of keith1569
I am going to have to look into French Twists..i like that the trick becomes more magical as it progresses
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2009-01-24 16:48, Conus wrote:
I really like "Twisting the Night Away" and a variant called "Four Riders of the Apocalypse."

Four Riders of the Apocalypse sounds an interesting title, where can that version be found?

Paul.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
Quote:
Four Riders of the Apocalypse sounds an interesting title, where can that version be found?

You can find the routines in a CD-ROM called "The Book That Doesn't Exist, And More!"
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
Allan Ackeman shows and teaches a variation on Vernon´s in his DVD series, Advanced Card Control. I prefer it, because is the more clean and deceptive. I have done this way since three yeas ago and, after studying many ways, I keep Ackerman´s variation.
Lux In Tenebris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best routine in print for Twisting the Aces? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL