The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best routine in print for Twisting the Aces? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1089 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 07:47, El Mystico wrote:
Martyjacobs says the Vernon handling lacks a good ending....but I have to disagree. You've just shown all the cards face down. You've done this *** thing three times down and they are watching intently. You do nothing. The SPECTATOR rubs the cards...the spade turns over.
Another vote for Vernon!

I just think the last twist should be the most impressive; you could argue that the second twist is the most shocking because it is a reversal wrapped up in a transposition.

I agree that involving a spectator in the final twist is a good way to make the last twist more memorable (you could also put the cards in a wallet or envelope to isolate them, thus eliminating the possibility of SOH). However, the very fact that you need to do something like this highlights that the ending is weak. I think it needs changing, even if just on a presentational level.

I'm not suggesting that the orginal is bad, quite the opposite, I just think that TTA is a good example of an effect that is greatly improved by the addition of some kind of LOGICAL kicker ending.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I shall make another suggestion Smile: "Power Trip" by Peter Duffie includes an excellent, very direct twisting phase called "A Crisp Twist" by Mark Tiffney.

Kind regards,

Marty
mike greene
View Profile
New user
Manchester
80 Posts

Profile of mike greene
Another vote for Vernon here.

Im in the middle of moving house so I cant get to my books right now, but the AOA series has a very nice twisting the aces routine, where 3 chosen cards appear between the aces as a climax, although I cant be more specific as to which book because I don't have them right now

MIKE
ALL I NEED IS ONE LIFE, ONE TRY, ONE BREATH, I'M ONE MAN, WHAT I STAND FOR SPEAKS FOR ITSELF - NAS
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4985 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On 2009-03-22 14:26, MagicbyCarlo wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-19 03:31, Kjellstrom wrote:
Fred Kaps version, my favourite, easy to do. Yoy can find the explanation in Fred Kaps lecture.

Watch a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIOcugPweoA

I actually needed your video in addition to the written Kapp's routine to make this work. I didn't find the version in the notes a good explanation. I also assume your presentation uses a DB rather than what is suggested in the notes.

I added some "twists" on Fred Kaps routine, plus, I normally ends with a color change of all backs as a killer ending.

Kaps Lecture Book: https://midwestmagic.net/shop/item.asp?itemid=475

FRED KAPS group on Facebook, join: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32350776606
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Do check this one out to. You may like it, and it's only five bucks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNLZTmV8kR0
nathanernest
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of nathanernest
Hey all,

I actually like the "twising the aces plus" by Archiro? (I think that is his name). Almost the same as Vernons but the ace of spades has a different coloured back and this is revealed at the end as the kicker. Not sure where to get the instructions for it though.

;-)
---------
Nath
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
152 Posts

Profile of swamy
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 00:09, nathanernest wrote:
Hey all,

I actually like the "twising the aces plus" by Archiro? (I think that is his name). Almost the same as Vernons but the ace of spades has a different coloured back and this is revealed at the end as the kicker. Not sure where to get the instructions for it though.
;-)

The effect "Twisting the Ace Plus" is from the DVD "Card Master DVD by Ichiro Araki"
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
John Mendoza also had a version where the back of the last ace changed color, and it changed into a KS. See "Twisting The Aces Again" in "The Book of John".

Quite frankly I don't think the routine has a weak ending without any extra changes. There's a famous quote, "Sell the sizzle, not the steak!"

Points to Note:

Present is as a challenge. Tell them exactly what you are going to do beforehand.

Do it very slowly.

Remind them you have done exactly what you said you would.

My final pose is holding two aces in each hand at either side of my face and pausing for applause after saying:
"And that just uses four aces, two hands and a charming personality!....Well, two out of three anyway".

Of course, not suitable for every condition, but I think the best version of the routine in print or on DVD is my own "Twist In A Glass" to be found in "Magic From The Overground" or the "Clever Card Magic" DVD set.

Many versions with 'extra' endings are discussed in the book "Small But Deadly"

Paul.
zmakingmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Burbank, California
119 Posts

Profile of zmakingmagic
Michael, I love the look of your Twisting the Aces effect. I do have one question, is it impromptu or gimmicked. It doesn't matter to me, I'm just curious.
martin1025
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of martin1025
This is a video of my favorite variation called French Twists by Richard Vollmer. As someone mentioned earlier, is kind of a long routine but a good one IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mji6v3Y95MM

The trick can be found in Impromptu Packet Tricks DVD by Aldo Colombini. However I have not been able to find it in a book.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Martin1025, that is a nice variation to TTA. If anyone out there knows where this is published in a book could comment I would greatly appreciate it.
Magic is a vanishing art.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6754 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Apart from Vernon's original, I'm surprised nobody mentioned the second best of all- Royal Twist by Larry Jennings.

Fish
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
I'm partial to Robert E. Neale's version "Fly Sport".

Uses the classic handling, but is a delightful little story that ends with a humorous joke involving 3 samurai who test each others skills by "sporting with flies" - uses club-suit spot cards to represent the flies.

It can be found in his book "Life, Death, and Other Card Tricks".

Cheers.
J.Warrens
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2685 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 07:47, El Mystico wrote:
Martyjacobs says the Vernon handling lacks a good ending....but I have to disagree. You've just shown all the cards face down. You've done this *** thing three times down and they are watching intently. You do nothing. The SPECTATOR rubs the cards...the spade turns over.
Another vote for Vernon!

Just that I do perform, too. So I vote for VERNON!
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
166 Posts

Profile of jnork
Dai Vernon.

Jason Christopher
Yours in Magic!
Jason
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
I really enjoy doing Elmsley's "Hoftwister" Essentially it's twisting the aces with a card revelation at the end.

As follows,

Audience has just selected a card, and the 4 aces are showing and the audience is told, one at a time, each of the 4 aces is going to turn face up, when this happens, it will eliminate that suit and by the end the final ace will hopefully be the same suit as yours.

Gets down to the final card and is turned over to reveal that it is their card.

Very nice
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Hoftwister is a superb effect that many seem to pass up...it's one of my favs from "The Collected Works Of Alex Elmsley" Vol. I.

Cardamagically,
Dom. Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
themagickeeper
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
55 Posts

Profile of themagickeeper
Vernon for sure. Ungimmicked and great.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
[quote]On 2008-06-19 03:31, Kjellstrom wrote:
Fred Kaps version, my favourite, easy to do. Yoy can find the explanation in Fred Kaps lecture.

Yep, I like Fred's version too. Nice colour change of the backs to finish.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1152 Posts

Profile of Corbett
It's been almost two years since I first asked this question and started this thread. I've since learned the original (Vernon's), and love it. Works for me.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I will tell all why I love this post. It was phrased CORRECTLY. How many times have we seen this: "What is the best (insert effect name here) in print?" or, even WORSE: "What version of (insert effect name here) should I use in my act"? ACK!!!!!!!

Thank you Corbett for phrasing it correctly. You asked us our opinion thus implying what we think works best for each of us, not what we think might work best for you. Also your post shows you DO your homework! Smile

I don't really HAVE a favourite. If I am feeling gaffy, I do Vollmer's Hyper-Twist. But, since I rarely feel gaffy these days I use the original or the method used by Dave Campbell in his truly splendiferous routine About Turn.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best routine in print for Twisting the Aces? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL