The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Tapestry of Deception, Vol 5 by Michael Vincent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1532 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I am, at heart, one who has a tremendous appreciation for the classics of magic. My heroes are men such as Vernon, Malini, Leipzig, Robert-Houdin, and above all, Hofzinser. It came to my attention recently that there was a new DVD offering by British magician, Michael Vincent. After seeing his videos on YouTube, I knew that he was an incredible performer so I made a purchase of his latest DVD, Tapestries of Deception, vol. 5: The Poetry of Conjuring. I’m now convinced that he’s also one of the most prolific thinkers in magic, and it shows throughout the video.

To begin with, this isn’t just another “Here’s a trick, now the explanation” magic DVD. This was apparently filmed during a lecture at the Magic Circle (at least, I’m assuming it was at the Magic Circle since I’m a Yank and have never actually been there in person), and centers mainly around Michael’s theories and philosophies based on his study of the magic of J. N. Hofzinser. In this DVD, which runs approximately 80 minutes, Michael gives some of the finest insights I’ve come across regarding just what it takes to be an “entertaining card expert.” His thoughts on misdirection, which he calls “Audience Attention Control”, were very direct and I can already see places in my own presentations that could use an application of these principles. Another point that stood out to me was Michael’s use of digital graphics, which left me with the impression that I was viewing a lecture by someone who knew what he was doing. Michael Vincent not only understands the deeper theories and philosophies of magic, but he has mastered the art of teaching and knows how to present these theories so that anyone can understand them.

As for the material on this DVD, he performs and explains his handlings of some of the classic pieces of card conjuring: Everywhere and Nowhere, Remember and Forget, Card in the Handkerchief, Bert Allerton’s Reputation Maker, as well as Michael’s take on the Multiple Selection effect.

At £35, which translates to about $65 USD, it was a bit pricey...but I’ve paid much less for DVDs which were badly produced with poor performances. Dollar for dollar, this was by far the best value I’ve received in a long time. Highly recommended!

http://www.michaelvincentproductions.com/
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Tapestry of Deception, Vol 5 by Michael Vincent (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL