The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Money (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

amazin
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of amazin
With the time we spend, gas prices, cost of props ect. are most magicians charging too little?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Probably, but it depends on what people are willing to spend. I've been increasing my prices. Some people go for it some do not. You gotta give them their money's worth.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
Unless your are a full time pro, most of us do it for the love of performing! I seldom work for free and I won't leave the house for less than $200! I have lots of bookings, and mostly by word of mouth. When I consider the cost of the tricks, props, travel, pay for an occasional assistant, and the hours of practice learning my craft, I can say that I am not really making a profit. So why do I do it? The answer is in the first sentence!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
It amazes me how people just randonly discount what certain providers should charge.

For example, people often think a computer technician charging $75 an hour is too high - yet they do not complain about paying auto repair shops $80+ per hour.

A magician is just like any other skilled profession - you spend time and money learning your skill.

I think many magicians charge too little and give away performances too often.

Yes it is fun to perform - but you need to cover your costs and make a little money to keep the nonmagic side of you happy too.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Thomas Kwon
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Thomas Kwon
Quote:
On 2008-05-09 10:19, mmreed wrote:
It amazes me how people just randonly discount what certain providers should charge.

For example, people often think a computer technician charging $75 an hour is too high - yet they do not complain about paying auto repair shops $80+ per hour.

A magician is just like any other skilled profession - you spend time and money learning your skill.

I think many magicians charge too little and give away performances too often.

Yes it is fun to perform - but you need to cover your costs and make a little money to keep the nonmagic side of you happy too.

That is true.. I think people would appreciate the profession of magic more if there are formal courses in colleges or universities that offer such education.
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
Most magicians are charging to little, but like you said with the gas prices and the economy the way it is, entertainment will be the first thing not in there budget.
Like davidpaul$ said you have to give them there moneys worth.
Entertainment is not a necessity!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Money (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL