The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Will these cards match (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JeffHall
View Profile
Regular user
Davis, California
161 Posts

Profile of JeffHall
I saw the card trick "Will these card match". As I recall you take five cards, tear them in half, reverse count one pile and something about spelling out "Will These Cards Match" From here I am lost. Will someone tell me more about this card trick or where I can find it?
thanks, Jeff
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
803 Posts

Profile of magico
The effect is called "Will the cards match". You have the basic idea and here is a post that may help.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5517763
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
I learned this in the Paul Harris Art of Astonishment set I believe. You can change the words up to fit your routine as well.
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
147 Posts

Profile of tltq
The trick is in Easy card tricks by Bob Longe and New self-working card tricks by Karl Fulves.....it's called hocus pocus pairs in Bob's book and make the cards match in the Karl's book
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5361 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I learned it originally in Apocalypse. You can also find it in the free tricks section of the Genii forum. Additionally, David Regal has just published a terrific variation (Will the Socks Match?) in his exceptionally remarkable new book, Approaching Magic.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8307 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hi: You learned it originally in APOCALYPSE because it originally appeared in APOCALYPSE - at least so far as I know. I sure don't remember ANY "popularity" for the effect until after I wrote/published it, etc., for and in APOCALYPSE. HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
This is an old classic and stronger than most 'spelling' effects to my mind. You can either use the formula "Will these cards match" or perhaps devise your own formula to suit your style of presentation (eg "Will our minds merge?" for a mentalist angle)

You could of course just use normal playing cards for this effect. In this case the five cards could be taken out of a normal deck by a spectator and shuffled prior to being torn in half by you. Then proceed as per normal with the presentation.

However like other magicians I have experimented a little and have come up with a story about the creation of order from Chao. I utilise the formula "Fire, Air, Water, Earth, Space" using blank faced playing cards each with a picture/name of an element drawn/written on the front of them.

With the method of using the 'element cards' the spectator can also shuffle the five cards but you first need to subtly mark the backs of the cards at the top left corner area.(You could I guess use 'star' marked ESP cards as the backs).I prefer to mark my own.

After the spectator has shuffled just spread the cards slightly in the hand to cut the "Space" card to the top. Then you are all set to go.The only other thing to remember is not to reverse deal the first five cards onto the table. Rather it is better to do the dirty in the hand whilst naturally dividing the cards into the two equal piles.

To those who already perform the effect all the above will hopefully make sense(!)
Good luck with the effect Jeff.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Actually thinking about it, it would be best to false shuffle the cards yourself if using the 'element' presentation (a 'Charlier' haymow mix would look convincing for the ten cards) and then do your cut.You would NOT be able to allow a spectator to shuffle unless you are confident enought to cull the ten cards whilst in the guise of undertaking your own shuffle afterwards(!)

With best wishes Andy.
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
Anyone know if its possible to use other words that "will the cards match".

The reason I ask this is that I perform in french and its really hard to create a sentence that make sense with : 4 lettres, 3 letters, 5 letters and 5 letters words. Is it possible to create our own formula?

thanks
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Devilix,

In my version of this effect ('MatchMaker' found in my 1999 "CARDWORKER" manuscript), I twisted the phrase around to read: WHICH ONES WILL WE MATCH?

Notice the number of letters in each word reduces by 1 until the last word which simply needs any odd-amount of letters. Perhaps knowing that will help you figure out a French phrase that works.

I'm willing to bet there are as many variations on this effect as there are for Vernon's "Triumph". Smile

Hope this helps.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
nameless
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of nameless
If my memory serves me right, I remember seeing this in Ammar's Business Card Miracles DVD, and I think he credits this effect to Paul Curry if I'm not mistaken.
Maybe someone could check?
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
147 Posts

Profile of tltq
The lowest number for each word that can be used is one less than the number of cards in one packet before the spelling starts. To that number add the number of cards in one packet before the spelling starts to get the number of other letters that will work. Repeat adding that number to get the number of other letters that will work. So for the

first word 4,9(4+5),14(4+5+5)...will work
second word 3,7(3+4),11(3+4+4)...will work
thrid word 2,5(2+3),8(2+3+3)....will work
fourth word 1,3(1+2),5(1+2+2)....will work....this means any odd number as Mick pointed out
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
Thanks a lot guys. Really, really appreciate
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
I was originally taught this by one of the customers in International Magics old basement store many moons ago. The version I was taught had a second sequence in which two spectators pick half a card each and these two halves also match.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
197 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
If you'd like to make this a topical effect dealing with the Summer Olympics, make two sets of 5 cards, each set containing cards with one of the Olympic rings: BLUE, BLACK, YELLOW, GREEN, RED.

For the spelling key, use the phrase:

Olympic
Games
China

Works perfectly! I made this up in 7" x 10" cards for parlor/stage use back when the Olympics were in Atlanta (it worked for "Atlanta", of course).

TED
Thought farmer
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Thought farmer
Can this effect be done with less than five or more than five cards as well?
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
The way I understand it...yes if you follow the tltq formula.
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
197 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
Thought Farmer:

Yes, I have done the effect with two groups of 6 cards each... I'm sure it can be done with just 4 or 7, too, but I personally have had no reason to try that. It partly depends on the message or words that you use for the spelling sequence.

TED
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
147 Posts

Profile of tltq
Ted

when you did the effect with two groups of 6 you also did it with two groups of 5, 4, 3, and 2

what needs to noted is after a spelling is done and the top card of each packet is taken off, the packets reset to the order they need to be in

the trick can be done with two equal piles of any number
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
197 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
TLTQ:

You are 100% correct!

You can experiment in a visual way to see the number of letters that will work for each card, by simply using any group of face-down card and turning the bottom one face-up... then counting until the face-up card comes to the top (or comes to the top a 2nd or 3rd time, for longer words).

TED
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Will these cards match (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL