The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Did Houdini Really Do This ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2040 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have been reading a very interesting book called "The Great Entertainers". Of course Harry Houdini is included. In the story it explains that Houdini had an impending sense of death. He saw strange omens, an unexplained sound of his mother calling his name and the bizarre reactions of animals in his presence. Now, I will quote the book on the following. " In New York, on a rainy night in October, 1926, he phoned Joseph Dunninger, the famous magician and mentalist, and asked him to come to his house. When Dunninger arrived, Houdini explained that he wanted Dunninger to help him take some boxes to a storage place on the other side of the city. As they were driving away, Houdini suddenly told Dunninger to turn back. They arrived before the house, and Houdini got out of the car. He stood silently in the rain and then got back in. "I just wanted one last look", Houdini said. "I'll never see it again alive".
Can anyone substantiate that this is what happened. I had never heard this story.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I've never heard that. It sounds like a tall tale. I prefer the one where Vernon locked Houdini in a phone booth at a hotel and said "There, escape from that."
Eric Fry
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of Eric Fry
I believe it appears in Gresham's biography "The Man Who Walked Through Walls." The problem is you'd have to believe Dunninger. No one else, reportedly, was present.
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
101 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
The story also appears in the recent "The Secret Life Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero," written by William Kalush and Larry Sloman. Unfortunately, I don't have the two-volume set, which I think contains details on their references. It could very well have been one of those already mentioned.

I believe the story about him also being locked in a phone booth is also in there, though someone else is given credit for the prank.
Eric Fry
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of Eric Fry
An early draft of the Kalush/Sloman book is online. Their reference is Gresham, who seems to be referring to an interview he had with Dunninger. You have to consider that Dunninger craved publicity, would want to associate himself with Houdini's fame, and liked to imply that psychic abilities exist.
TonyMc
View Profile
New user
Glossop, UK
52 Posts

Profile of TonyMc
Rennie, I've just finished a portrait of Houdini and, if I wanted publicity, I could say that Houdini appeared to me and told me to paint it or maybe every time I hung the picture it turned its face to the wall. Magicians tell lies!

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Did Houdini Really Do This ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL