The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Candles (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Hello,

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks of the multiplying candles?

I have the smaller size and I think they are great. When I first bought them and opened the box up I didn't think they would look real on stage, but when you light them they really look real, and beautiful.

What do you all think?
Smile
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
eddiekap,

You revive one of my favorites! I know the gimmick is intense. I produce each candle by waving my right hand over the last produced candle.
Upon producing the fourth candle, I tilt the left hand to the left and vanish the same fourth candle. My right hand comes forward with a unlit candle which I light with the third in left hand. At that moment I re-produce the fourth candle in left hand. I then proceed to cross left and right hand while producing the final three candles in right hand.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I have yet to use them in my act but I am working on the routine. I remember watching Shimada produce one candle and then multiply it. That is what interested me in this effect and what eventually led to my purchase of it. I am surprised that not too many magicians, at least that I know and watch don't use this effect. I can't wait to finish my routine and perform it in my show. What is the best way to store the candles when they are soaked with lighter fluid before the show? Would a ziplock bag be efficient enough to keep the fluid from evaporating?

Thanks,
Ed Smile
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Ed, where did you see Shimada do that? Was it live or on a video. If on a video, I want it.

Randy, your routine sounds great. I think this may definitely be something I'll look into. I love all kinds of manipulations, mostly ball and thimbles (some cards too). I have been thinking about a set of candles. Any suggestions? Does it matter? What should I stay away from?

Thanks,

FC
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I had to look through my videos but I found where Shimada peforms it. It is on the Sensational Acts of Mystery Men Volume 1. By Steven Magic Emporium.

It's not an instructional tape but just a performance tape. There is a bunch of great acts on there from Shimada, to Mr. Electric, Silvano, Charlie Miller, Paul Daniels, Hans Moretti, Jay Marshall. Smile

Shimada produces the candle in his dove act.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
"Shimada, Doves Vol. 2" video shows him with one small set of four candles (used in left hand) and a Fantasio vanishing candle. Following the vanishing candle, he transitions into his card manipulation. He performs a series of single card productions using an entire deck!

eddiekap, you asked about evaporation. My candles are on board as body loads. They remain in plastic tubes until produced. The tubes I purchased at a crafts store. I have no idea what others use them for but they come in all sizes. I use the large set of candles and cut two tubes to hold and cover the candle up to the finger grips. It's important to allow an extra two inches as you will warm the tube and close it shut on one end.
Magicman13
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Magicman13
You guys who use them....I give you credit. They aren't the easiest objects to use. Why do you guys perfer to use multiplying candles instead of using a couple of appearing candles?

Leon.
"Leave your own Legacy." *Mickey Mantle

"Be Natural." *The Professor
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
The candle effect looks more unique than say a fantasio appearing candle, or vanishing. I do use them also. You can get some different effects with the multiplying than the fantasio products. I like how you can make candles appear in each hand at the fingertips, kind of like a multiplying ball routine. You can make one disappear and reappear in the other hand, etc.

You are correct, they are difficult to handle at first. It takes a knack, but I think I am doing fairly well. I just wish there were some more sources on information on these.

Thanks for the useful info on how to keep the fluid from evaporating Randy.
Best,
Ed Smile
Magicman13
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Magicman13
Ed,

Yeah, I guess the effect is different. Fluid can also be retained by putting them in a plastic ziplock baggy before performance and you can produce them at anytime during your act.

Leon Smile

EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I am trying to find the best way to steal them, perhaps a body load, or a table load.

Any suggestions? Smile
Magicman13
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Magicman13
If it was me I would use the body. It is more magical when you do not go to the table, for any reason motivated or not. Stay away from the table! Smile

Leon

genemccarthy
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of genemccarthy
Don't believe they are made any longer but Loyd's used to make a set of multipling candles that were produced between the fingers ala billiard balls. Unlike the set that was entirely hinged these were rather different.

One of the acts that utilised them was Rico, Magic by Candlelight which may have been the Gustafason's.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
The multiplying candles are one of the great stage manipulation "images" in all of magic. My most recent moment of wonder involving the candles was in Torkova's stage act. He gets laughter and amazement from this wonderful bit of magic.

Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Fred Kap's ued them as part of his manipulation act as well. I believe that he used the Lloyd's, which are more difficult to master, but can do much more with. 2 hinged, and 2 nest over the hinged pair.
Lou
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
When I did stage work many years ago, I did a multplying candle act. It was one of the favorite parts of the show (at least for me), the audience seemed to really enjoy it also. I used the shorter ones then graduated to the larger set. After doing all the manipulation stuff, in the end, with the last candle, I turned it into a white silk, ditched the gimick and went on with an effect with the silk.
Amazing Rallo
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Amazing Rallo
Are you talking about the kind of candles that Daytona Magic sells?
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I’ve got a set of multiplying candles from several years ago. They are metal, all shells and they seem very fragile. I could see the weld on one of the hinges breaking easily. Using all of the lighter fluid they soak up and the hot flames made be nervous so I modified them to look like short stubby candy canes.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There are two types of multiplying candles. .The Morgan and Lloyd style. The Morgan's are hinged together and are much easier to learn and use. The originals were very good but unfortunately they have not been made in years. The ones availabable right now are imports from India. They are generally very poorly made.

The Lloyd's style is still made by Owens Magic. I also have very good set that was made by Tim Starr. This take more practice to use and it is best to practice over a bed to help with drops. They can be shown as solid candle on both sides where the Morgans can not.

I think one of the reasons people do not do this is because the fire. It looks best in a dimmed light. Most people I have seen use them in a manipulation act and secure them from a box type table.

Randy, your body loads are great. I used to load a firebowl on my body. A couple of times I got overzealous in adding the lighter fluid so I had plenty when it lit. I developed a nice arm rash from the fluid fumes. I have to admit as great as it was. I do not miss the hassles of packing and doing that effect.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The complete handling for the Multiplying Candles can be found in Lewis Ganson's Routined Manipulation series of books. Steals and all, along with suggested holders.
Amazing Rallo
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Amazing Rallo
Shaun Yee magic offers a set that you can remove one at a time and show seperatly as they are produced. They are more expensive than the ones that are all hinged together, but still not nearly as expensive as Owen's. I don't know if being able to remove them and show them one at a time would be that important or not, as I have no experience with them.
I was thinking about purchasing a set, but thought that I might get some advice from you guys before I do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Candles (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL