The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just say no... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

remf3
View Profile
New user
Novato, California
67 Posts

Profile of remf3
Please tell me that I'm not the only one!

Is there anyone else out there that doesn't do any card tricks? I've found as I get more into magic that I'm more in to coins, cups and sponge balls and have not learned one card trick. Well one...and it involves producing coins from cards!

Non-cardists sound off!
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Hey man, nice to see another sponge/coin guy.

I'm currently working on my classic palm with a coin. Not great at it yet, but OK

I mainly do sponges. I'm a sponge guy

But now Im getting into coins. I do not do cards
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3393 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I don't do card tricks. Well, maybe one or two...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Don't do TRICKS! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I think a lot of closeup workers fall into cards because of convenience, versatility and available material. If cards don't fit your personality, by all means don't use them.

For the one trick that you produce coins from a card, is there something else you could use? Your driver's license, a post card, an envelope, a bank withdrawal slip? Give it meaning, and you could develop a reason for the magic happening.

Slim, I know where you're coming from. But wouldn't that be like telling a beginning music student not to play a series of notes?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I know what you mean Slim. I used to do card tricks, anmd I even asked the sales person at the first magic shop I visited for " something on card tricks." Lucky for me he never made me feel bad about that.

But I know how you guys feel. When I first started out, all I did was cards. Then I got into some Coins, which I still go over from time to time. Have David Stone's DVD's. Recently I discovered Fiber Optics, and Tabary Rope magic.

Now I am looking into some Thread magic to go along with other things I have in mind... but I will admit, I have not learned 1 new card magic effect in a few months... I just want to explore other aspects of magic.

I think part of it is also, that when people see me, and ask to see some magic, I can do something besides card magic. Or even with a pack of cards like." Haunted Deck" or " Hummer card." something they may not have quite seen before.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Even when I first started at age 11, I never really liked card tricks beause to me, they are too repeatitive since if you think of it, even though we magicians think there are millions of card tricks, to the general and in some situations paying public, about 80% of what we consider card tricks are just fancy and extravagant and sometimes pointless ways to find a chosen card. I do have a handful of card tricks in my repritore for walk-around gigs and to show family and friends. but I never have really liked card tricks, or even close-up magic in general. I was always a stage magic guy, but it still took me a while to find my niche until about a year ago, when I realized that childrens magic and comedy magic were what I would be best at.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
When I first started magic I avoided card magic.
Later I thought it might be good to learn a few so I studied some card tricks.
I'm not cardician by a long shot but there are few card tricks I like to do.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
I initially wasn't interested in them, but there's something about being able to borrow a deck from someone else (most everyone has one in their house) and use it immediately which is making it more appealing to me now.
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
When I first started, I did tricks with coins only, and thought to myself "I am never going to do tricks with cards" but half a year later..
Now I do cards, coins, sponge etc, close-up.
The ultimate, most visual and practical ambitious card routine finisher - HERE!
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
How many times have we all heard the fraise, PICK A CARD ANY CARD.
While card effects are very cool, I think it’s a good thing to be well rounded.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I have to say one thing. There is more to card magic than " picka card" tricks. The problem is... mostly this is the only exposure we have to Card "tricks" when we are younger. Almost everyone knows at least 1 card " trick" and more than likely it is a " pick a card" trick.

For people looking for other types of Card Magic, I recommend Michael Ammar's series. Some of My favorites are things like Gemini Twins, Jumping Gemini, Ambitious Card, That's it. Doc Daly's last Trick, Spec cuts to the Aces, etc... a LOT of card magic is more than just " Pick a card.

There are even very magical versions of " Pick a card" Like "Your Signed Card" Where a selected and signed card is vanished from a pack of 4 aces, and finds itself in a surprising paradoxical location.,..

Cards can be as imaginative as any other form of magic. I just feel if people think " 80% of card magic is pick a card tricks.." they have not really explored other aspects of card magic. Personally I stay away from " Select a card tricks" Unless they have a Powerful ending like "Triumph" or " That's it"
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
remf3
View Profile
New user
Novato, California
67 Posts

Profile of remf3
I have to admit, as I am the starter of this thread, that I love card magic. I spent the better part of a day catching Bill Malone's stuff on YouTube.

I also have to say that it really isn't my niche at this point in time.

I am most certainly *not* trying to denigrate the card workers out there. There are a lot of people out there that are able to perform miracles with the pasteboards. I just am not seeking that as an outlet at this point in time.

My intention was merely to find other people who didn't think of pure card magic as their only goal in magic.

As a newbie in the realm of magic, I was just merely looking for like minded individuals that are the same level as myself. I could PM some of the coin masters themselves, but I think it's difficult for some of them (as it would be for anyone) to put themselves in the realm of the neophyte. Not to mention I'd hate to come off as someone just trying to come find out how a trick was/is done.

Anyhow, I'm entirely too defensive for my own good...

Thanks, again, for the replies all.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I know how you feel, when it comes to Coins, I am also a neophyte. While I can do 20 minutes of Card Effects without doing a single " pick a card" trick... I can basically CP a coin.. retention vanish, french drop.

I am working through David Stone's DVD's. My Expert Coin Magic made easy By Roth is a VHS that is threading badly... So I am working on ... other things... But Lately, I just feel the need to explore more of the World of Magic... IT, Manipulation, etc. Nothing wrong with disliking Cards, that was never my intent. Just wanted to let others know, there is a LOT more than just " Pick a card" out there.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
I've been moving off in the direction of cups and balls and an egg bag recently. Been feeling guilty not putting in an hour a day with the cards too, but just can't seem to find the time any more!
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
JHNelson
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
120 Posts

Profile of JHNelson
Cards have been my main area of interest, but are really difficult to form an act around. Even walk around. I've been getting into rubber band magic, cups and balls, and I would like to learn coin magic. I think card magic is a good starting point, but its good to branch out. Just my 2 cents.
James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just say no... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL