The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Do it yourself ATA case? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I've been thinking about buying the hardware for making an ATA style case, but I can't wrap my mind around how the corners come together.

Does anyond know if the corner pieces tie in with the edge strip? Is there a rivet that goes through them both?

I've looked at the parts online, and just don't have it 100% built in my head. Since I can't figure this out, I'll likely scrap the idea and just build a box that I'm comfortable building.

I just wanted the edging and corner durablity that came with this style of case. I wasn't planning on applying laminate to the outside though.

So, although I've almost talked myself out of building this, I would still be interested in knowing if any of you have built one before using parts available online.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Chad, the only miter joints you have to worry about are where the lid fits with the box. The other joints aren't mitered as a rule because the ball corners have to fit over these corners. I generally cut and piece everything together and use an air stapler (without staples) to crimp the aluminum on the luan from the inside. The corner pieces are riveted and pretty much holds everything together.To get a better idea do a search for ata cases to see how others look. It's hard to explain this but if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Ray,

Thank you very much for responding. Your thoughts make sense to me. I was thinking (hoping) that the corners provided the strength. That's what made logical sense in my mind.

I've looked at these cases online, but they are still a bit of a mystery to me.

I just don't want to buy everything...only to end up with a case 2" smaller than what I need because I mis-estimated my lengths!!!
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Keep in mind if you are going to pad the case, make the case bigger to allow for the space padding will take so your props still fits.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Good thought!

The case will be for the transporting and temporary securing of my street performing gear/sound system...so it won't need padding.

Right now I'm using a dolly, and hauling everything with me when I sign in/go potty/grad a snack/etc.

I may just end up buying a custom case.

Sometimes I gotta remember that just because I have a full shop, it doesn't mean that I HAVE to build everything I need. (It's just more fun that way Smile )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Do it yourself ATA case? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL