The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Chinese Coin Mystery (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Hocus Pocus is offering a set of 4 Chinese coins with a matching shell, apparently with little fanfare. However, this is a beautiful set of coins, and something I've been looking for.

I have a set of similar coins by Sasco, which are very crudely made. I then got a set of beggar coins, but those are not much better. The beggar coins are brass with a couple of engraved Chinese characters filled with black paint. The diameter of the holes in the coins doesn't match the shell. I don't think these coins look like real money.

The Chinese Coin Mystery set has a well-fitted shell, and the coins look like real money. They are solid brass with intricate designs. The set costs as much or slightly less than the beggar coins. If you're looking for "Chinese" coins, I recommend you check these out.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Does the shell cover the coin completely? Thanks.
Bernard Sim
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thanks for doing the hard work of checking this out, Darrin. What about the feature they mention at Hocus Pocus, i.e., that you can show both sides of the shell? Is it true? Do you find this useful?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I was misled by the advertising, thinking that it was like the shell advertised with an insert inside so that the obverse side can be casually flashed. What the advertisement means is that the nested shell can be casually flashed front and back-the fit is very close.

Viewed from the side, the thin edge of the coin, there is nothing to see, as the shell extends all the way to the bottom of the coin.

As a test, I tried a coin roll, and was able to roll a nested shell without the two separating, although there was a little clatter.
sanskara
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
59 Posts

Profile of sanskara
Hey,

Give us a link when you plug a product. Some of us are too lazy to leave this site to search for it.
Regards,
James Bostwick
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Oh, the NESTED shell can be shown on both sides... Smile a rather crucial omission, IMHO. Obviously you weren't the only person to read it this way, I'd feel a little taken, too.

On the other hand, I have yet to identify any routine I can't do simply because I can't show both sides of the shell. So it's mostly a non issue for me.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Hocus Pocus has a big old banner on the Café's Main Page. Just click on the banner.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
sanskara
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
59 Posts

Profile of sanskara
Thanks, Scott.

Curtis,

I've always wondered what is the novelty of being able to show both sides of a sh**l? The depth of field is totally wrong; I can't imagine it fooling anyone close-up. But hey, if someone wants to pay an extra $20 for one of those special devices, I say, go nuts.
Regards,
James Bostwick
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
How do the coins look in quality compared to the Johnson Chinese coins? I am VERY interested in buying Chinese Misers Dream by Henry Evans to obtain the half dollar sized set to match my Johnson coins as well as the Jumbo set with gaffs (about $125 at magicsmith)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
magicday
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of magicday
The Chinese Coin Mystery's quality is not as good as the Johnson Chinese coins! and I also own a set of Chinese Misers Dream by Henry Evans it is very good in quality and handling! Cheers
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Quote:
On 2003-03-23 02:46, Poof-Daddy wrote:
How do the coins look in quality compared to the Johnson Chinese coins? I am VERY interested in buying Chinese Misers Dream by Henry Evans to obtain the half dollar sized set to match my Johnson coins as well as the Jumbo set with gaffs (about $125 at magicsmith)

Henry Evens' coins are very nice but no where near Johnsons Chinese coin.

The 2 coins are totally different. Evens coins are very thin look nothing like the Johnson coins which are probably 2 or even 3 times thicker.
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
magicday
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of magicday
Yes, Henry Evans' Chinese coins are not like the Johnson coins which are probably 2 or even 3 times thicker.

But actually the real Chinese coins are not that thick!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2003-03-24 02:05, Full Effect wrote:

Henry Evens' coins are very nice but no where near Johnsons Chinese coin.

The 2 coins are totally different. Evens coins are very thin, look nothing like the Johnson coins which are probably 2 or even 3 times thicker.

Do they look like the Johnson coins asteticly? In other words, if I do copper silver brass and a couple routines later use an Evans Chinese coin, would they pass as the "same coinage" I hate to introduce so many different coins (WL half, WL silver dollar, 20 Centavo, English Penny) now introduce several variations of a "Chinese coin" I would definitly like to see if they will "pass as the same coin" before spending that kind of money.
Thanks, Jeff
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Chinese Coin Mystery (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL