The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Today's Oprah all about Hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
Oprah just had an hour long special with Dr. Oz and another prominent doctor on hypnosis. It was mainly about past life regression. This area of hypnosis doesn't interest me, but it was neat to see an entire Oprah show devoted to hypnosis. I felt they featured it in a very positive light, and cleared up a few fearful misconceptions about hypnosis in general. I thought it was cool to watch another show this week about hypnosis. Did anyone watch House yesterday! I thought it was pretty cool they threw in a little hypnosis there too. I don't know how accurate it was, but maybe some of you pro's could comment. I thought it was fun though.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Oprah did not do a show about hypnosis. Past-life regression is religion. She did another religious show, as she always does lately, and hypnosis is the ritual for this religion. I have no problem with Oprah or anyone having any religious belief they want to, but recognize, hypnosis may have been "featured" but it was religious belief that was the subject of the show, not stage nor clinical hypnosis. Stage hypnosis is featured on the PTL network....
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6122 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Some therapists associate hypnosis as being past life regression. Oprah has chosen an easy subject to get viewers. Sensational and a bit controvertial too. I think it has more to do with attracting viewers than the subject of hypnosis or religion.

In a sense it is hypnosis in that you are directing the subject to behave in a certain way by fantasizing about past lives rather than doing skits on stage. It's the same process to get them there.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17337 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Why is everyone a Prince, a King or a famous general in their past life? No barnyard cleaners or ox cart drivers . Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19491 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Slim, I am writing a book on past lives, the title.

"How come nobody is ever the stable boy?"

Tough thing when we agree so dead on huh LOL?

I have met hundreds of Cleopatra's, and it is fun when it is a guy who wants to shock me. But never the stable boy. Theoretically there should be thousands more of them right? LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
If the logic of past life regression hold true becasue of the ability to travel on an astral plane without limitations of time and space, why are there no future life progresions? I mean, as easy as it is to go back, seems one could go forward and avoid problems! I am almost certain in my fiture life I am the star of my own radio esp show and also do a stint in Mexico in the resort industry...
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Someone I know does 'Betwen Life Regression'. You zip off on the astral plane to Venus and Jupiter, meet the great white brotherhood etc.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4170 Posts

Profile of bobser
I used to work in a place called The Psychic Café (in Hampshire)as a Past-Life regressionist.
It was fun. I didn't believe in it but I got 3 times as many sits as I did for therapy. And to be honest, every now and then I'd have a session that would appear very very real (just let me have that, ok?)
One of my clients I went on to discover taught psychology in a well known University here in the UK. I asked her one day (after about 8 regressions) if she believed she was actually travelling back in time to a past life, she laughedf out loud and replied candidly:"I'm not really sure. Probably not, yet in some cases it does seem incredibly real."
I then asked her, in that case, why she continued. She told me that she simply enjoyed the experience, and that in her opinion, it somehow helped her in her everyday life.

I had another friend (from Dundee, Scotland) who worked in regression and psychic readings. he assured me that in all his travels he'd never quite met anyone like the folks he met whilst working in San Francisco. For what it's worth his findings up until that point had been similar to mine, in that most people we had regressed actually WERE stable boys etc. But when he hit San Francisco theY turned into Romans and Egyptians from hundreds and thousands of years ago, many of blue blood lineage.
He even revealed to me, that in his experience, when Atlantis sank most of the population seemed to have moved to the West coast of America.
The question is.... is it possible that the stories might be true?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
While in school to be a Hypnotherapist a fellow student asked our instructor if past life regression was real.
His response was brilliant I will never forget it he said "Who Cares, it does not matter if a person actually lived in a past time or if they are remembering a dream. What matters is that it is an experience that holds therapeutic value to them and that is why it is important."
The relevance is in the symbolism of the experience.
briandavidphillips
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of briandavidphillips
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 00:21, Nongard1 wrote:
If the logic of past life regression hold true becasue of the ability to travel on an astral plane without limitations of time and space, why are there no future life progresions?

Richard, there ARE future life progressions. Smile While I've done a few for fun, there are folks who take them seriously and there are books on the subject (by the new age hypnosis guy who shows up on tv a lot and does alien abduction stuff and now is claiming that many alien abductors are time travelers from the future who are shifting people through time via the fifth dimension . . . Dr. Bruce Goldberg http://www.drbrucegoldberg.com whose book I once read and my wife would keep asking me why I bothered as I was constantly screaming out "bulls**t" and worse and periodically slamming the tome in disgust, but like a good lemming I kept reading and I did find one or two nice little insights of use hidden beneath the mounds and mounds of befuddlement - I have a video of Goldberg doing a regression that I have used in classes as a wonderful example of how to completely ignore any semblance of clean session language and just pound a client with your preconceptions until they start responding in your fantasy). I won't do regressions or progressions for therapy purposes but will do them for recreation and even then I always signpost that there is absolutely no way a hypnotic experience can prove or disprove reincarnation. For most people the experience is phantasy and confabulation of the unconscious, it's metaphor and can be interesting and powerful and helpful but there are other processes that perform that function without the PLR. I have had a few spring up spontaneously in regular hypnoanalysis regression but in such cases I just run the process and treat it as metaphor rather than as proof or factual. It is a religious belief for many (I live in a part of the world where it is an extremely common belief).

Bobser, I can see how one's number of sitters would increase when offering PLR in such a setting. I know I get more queries about my metaphysical processes than my therapeutic ones when doing sitdowns even though the querants are after therapeutic release.

All the best,
Brian
Hypnosis DVD Courses
http://www.briandavidphillips.com

Brian David Phillips brian@briandavidphillips.com
Hypnotist, Trance Wizard, Intuitionist
Keelung, Taiwan
http://www.briandavidphillips.com
Zenmagic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Zenmagic
If I'm not mistaken, the show in Oprah is about the past-life regression by Dr. Brian Weiss. Btw, I'm just wondering guys, do you think that we can use hypnosis to access our memories about past lives? Or do you actually believe in past-life at all?

Because I came from a Buddhist background and I certainly believe that we have numerous lives in the past time. But I'm also interested in your opinions about this issue Smile

Felix
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19491 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think if you read the thread it is pretty clear what most of us believe LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I have done PLR with over 1,000 people, and not one has been someone famous. I've met hundreds more who have claimed past lives and again, not one had a famous past life. While I'm sure there are some who claim to be someone famous, the myth of "everyone" being someone famous, as far as I can tell, is a total nothing more than that: a myth. Besides, in the words of famed occultist Dion Fortune, having a famous past life does not give more notoriety to your current life as it does make one wonder what you did to be in the current lesser situation!

Even if there were a bunch of people claiming to be the same famous person, there are several presuppositions and logical interpretations that could explain it:

Presupposition 1: The personality survives death
Presupposition 2: The personalities of all people go to one "place"
Logical interpretation: If presups 1 & 2 are correct, it is possible that people experiencing past lives are simply tapping into that past life "pool" rather than having a direct line of personal reincarnation back to that famous past life. In other words, 20 people could claim to have had a past life of famous person X because they're all experiencing the memories of personality X that are in the pool of past lives.

Personally, I don't think the "actuality" of past lives (i.e. the personality of person X survives death and is remembered by person Y during a PLR) isn't important at all. What's important is that the unconscious mind is sending a message. The past life supposedly remembered isn't important, it's the message of that life to the conscious mind that is important.

Be that as it may, there is episodic evidence to support the validity of past lives. Ignore the pop culture references (such as Bridey Murphy) and look instead to something such as the book, The Search for Omm Sety by Cott as well as the books, Omm Sety's Egypt by Hanny El Zeini, Catherine Dees, and Hanny El Zeini; Omm Sety's Living Egypt by Omm Sety, Kent R Weeks, Nicole B Hansen, and Walter A Fairservis;
Omm Sety's Abydos (Society for the Study of Egyptian Antiquities Publications) by Dorothy Louise Eady.
asithlord
View Profile
New user
johnathan townsends daily hobbie is
98 Posts

Profile of asithlord
Is Omm Sety a Café member?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5687 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
He was...

In a past life.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jon Dee
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Jon Dee
Briandavidphillips,
I know you made the above post in Aug but I am just now reading it and wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your entry.

Jon Dee
James Hazlerig
View Profile
New user
Bastrop County, Texas
12 Posts

Profile of James Hazlerig
Reincarnation is part of my religious belief, but I recognize that it's just that: a belief, taken on faith and therefore not needing to be verified. If someone asks me about PLR, I say that I really don't know whether a person is recalling a past life or fabricating an experience; but in either case, it can reflect something interesting about the trancer's psyche.

As someone who believes in reincarnation, I get really annoyed with people who run around putting on airs because of how great they think they were in past lives. I always want to say, "Yeah, so you were a T-rex in a past life, but now you're just an annoying gecko . . . " I cringe whenever I hear of someone acting like that--I heard of one fellow giving lectures on "Life in King Arthur's Court," based entirely on "personal memories." People like that are an embarassment.

And for the record--I've never experienced being a king in a PLR, but I was a dairy cow once. Smile
James Hazlerig
www.HarmonyHypnosis.NET
David McCall
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of David McCall
Quote:
And for the record--I've never experienced being a king in a PLR, but I was a dairy cow once. Smile

In one of my past lives, I think I might have tipped you over!
James Hazlerig
View Profile
New user
Bastrop County, Texas
12 Posts

Profile of James Hazlerig
@MentalDave--That was you! I thought you looked familiar. Smile

I'm just going to moooooove along now . . .
James Hazlerig
www.HarmonyHypnosis.NET
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Today's Oprah all about Hypnosis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL