We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is Derren Brown Making it in America (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mugen
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Mugen
Im from the UK and I know Derren has done a Sci Fi show in the states, I was just wondering, was it popular?, has any one heard of derren there? or is he a nobody like robbie williams
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2351 Posts

Profile of todsky
Who's Derren Brown? Wasn't he that singer on American Idol?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Whoever says that Derren Brown has the same initials as Robbie Williams is a liar.
Mugen
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Mugen
Hes a famous magician/mentalist/hypnotist in britain
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Vz_YTNLn6w
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Wasn't he married to Whitney Houston?
jasons_mind
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of jasons_mind
I'll answer seriously, regardless of the seriousness of the question. The American public as a whole knows very little about Derren Brown. His show ran for several episodes on Sci-Fi. I don't know of the success of it, but am guessing it received a mediocre response. I'm thinking he's not going to be part of the next British invasion.

Jason.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

To add on to Jason's post, his show was announced for a second season. But to make it clear, SCIFI is a small niche channel with a viewership smaller than some of the cooking channels. Even if he were the breakout star on that channel (which he is not as of yet) most of the US would never have heard of him.

Tony
Mugen
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Mugen
Thanks guys that clears it up for me!
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I don't know if DB is know in USA but the private detective Thomas Magnum yes !

I like him !
he use a ferrari and live to Hawai
So nice !
Of course, I like also Terry and Rick.

Magnum is like a mentalist, he divine who's the killer ! Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Derren has been going over here on tv for about 8 years. And while is a lot more popular than when he started he really isn't a houshold name here either.

Out of all the lay people I talk to most of them have heard of him but rarely watch more than one show.

He has a very niche fan base but still big enough to fill out theatres.

The last real really big magician in the UK was Paul Daniels. Derren has not achieved that level of success so far.
Mugen
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Mugen
As Derren says "most people think I'm paul Mckenna" he more popular among students
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
A quick limited run of Derren's live show on Broadway would lead to a Tony nomination for Best Special Theatrical Event and likely a win.

It will happen.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Eddie

You are absolutely right. He could create a Broadway event like no other.

What about a recurrence of the British Invasion like the 60's.
Derren, Luke, Andy and the incomparable John Archer.

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
Mugen
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Mugen
I went to one of his shows and it was amazing! I agree he just needs one big shot
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 09:36, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
To add on to Jason's post, his show was announced for a second season. But to make it clear, SCIFI is a small niche channel with a viewership smaller than some of the cooking channels. Even if he were the breakout star on that channel (which he is not as of yet) most of the US would never have heard of him.

Tony

Good point about the SciFi channel, Tony. However, much needs to be said about the receptivity to the content as well. Battlestar Gallactica is also exclusively shown on the Sci Fi channel and has much, much deeper market penetration than DB does in the States. I've recently started watching BG myself, which I think is great so far, but I personally like DB's shows more.

I'm also curious where people perform that their spectators have heard of DB. I have yet to run into a non-performer who has even a vaque recollection of his name. These are people who have heard and/or religiously watch BG, so I am not sure whether it is the channel or the content, primarily.

I'm going to have to think about this.

Lem
Mugen
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Mugen
I know that derren did a lot of tricks in america for his british show as he would get noticed I he did the same effects int he uk, Whos BG anyway?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

BG is "Battlestar Gallactica"

Remember, BG is also an updated version of the 70s show of the same name which also had a made for TV movie back then. It came with a ready made large fanbase. Additionally, it has been on for several years.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3453 Posts

Profile of Looch
Is Dynamike back?
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
Derren will do extraordinary things. maybe not today, but he will conquer the states.
RichardSand
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
56 Posts

Profile of RichardSand
Battlestar Galactica fiend right here..!!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is Derren Brown Making it in America (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL