We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sciatica (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Anyone else had this?

I'd barely heard of it yet the doctor tells me 70% of people suffer from it at some time. Must be the 70% I haven't met.

It hurts like hell though I have to admit having had incredible luck healthwise during my life I don't have much to compare it to.

The doctor prescribed painkillers four times a day and deep tissue massages - and told me if it doesn't go away in a few weeks come back.

Huh?

Destiny
OrderD29
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of OrderD29
I hope that your sciatica has been releived somewhat. I first suffered with it about seven or eight years ago and it is hell. People who have never suffered with it find it really difficult to understand exactly what it's like (it is NOT a bit of back pain!). I remember going to the doctors and the walk from the bus to the surgery which normally took five minutes lasted nearly half an hour, then I had to lay on the floor in the waiting room to stop from passing out! Oh, happy memories...
While it's a nightmare while you have it, it does die down and go away even though it doesn't feel like it ever will. I really hope that it passes quickly for you and that you're back in good health soon.
Ian
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I had a bout with this a few months ago. I could not lie down, because I couldn't get back up. I couldn't stand up straight. I couldn't walk without a cane or walking staff. All I could do sit around and moan. Trips to the bathroom were pure Hell. It sucks. My advice to you is get better as soon as possible.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Thank you both - it left a week ago - spookily, on a day when about 3 other really good things happened for me. I do not believe in Astrology so must have just been a lucky day.

I had a new silent script in my shows during the condition: 'Don't stoop! Walk upright! Don't stoop!'

Anyway, I have a new found sympathy when folks tell me they are suffering pain now and I'm far less sceptical of people who look okay but claim to be in agony.

Destiny
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
It's a B**** for sure. I pulled my back out and it affected my Sciatica. Hurt like a mother for a few months. I went to my Chiropractor and he worked it for me. It took some time but I'm back to normal (Ha, health wise, that is) but I am still very wary of it returning...

I have found that pain killers did nothing to help.
OrderD29
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of OrderD29
I was sent to a few chiropractors and had no joy. The most I had after they'd all poked around with me (oh-err!) was that, for some unknown reason, I had scar tissue on one of my vertebrae which had aggravated the sciatic nerve.
The thing that I 'loved' - note the sarcasm - was sitting in the only way that was comfortable for me while I was in agony and having people tell me that I wasn't doing myself any good and that a correct posture would help me out. Needless to say, they knew little about the condition. What I wouldn't have given for a snooker ball in a sock!
I know that you posted a little while ago but I'm glad that you're OK now. It's awful when you have to go through it but you really appreciate your good health when it's finally back with you.
Ian
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1596 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Try and visit an Osteopath. This is what worked for me.After about 3 visits I was
pain free. Before that I tried a Chiropracter and painkillers but nothing worked as well as the simple manipulation that was performed by the Osteopath.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Darkfrog
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Darkfrog
I suggest reading books by Dr. Sarno, specifically The Mind Body Connection, where he details Tension Myositis Syndrome. This is getting more acceptance by the medical community as a valid cause of sciatica, fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel and other pain disorders.
If you can find a physician that can help diagnose if this is TMS, then you would already be on the road to recovery. The diagnosis for me helped prevent an unnecessary and probably traumatic back surgery.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The pain killers part is so scary I had to write this:

Sorry about the pain and diagnosis - but it does suggest a cute reason to do Ramsay's Four Little Beans trick with the pills.

You tell them what's up and then that your doctor is one of those alternative medicine folks and they gave you this prescription... you put one here, one here, one here, and one here - then count to ten and spit them out... and put them back in the bottle till four or six hours depending. Take as needed Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sciatica (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL