The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best Effect with a Liquid (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
P&L2007
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of P&L2007
Multum in Parvo

I had a cheaper version of this but I finally saved up enough for the Deluxe Multum In PARVO and it looks so much nicer.

You also can't beat a good Milk Pitcher effect.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hydrostatic glass & Absorbing News are my two favorite 'wet wonders'. Magic with liquid scores especially well with audiences as they know the difficulty of handling things that can spill, seap or leak.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I’ve been performing “Water-Lu” (hydrostatic metal can) with the prop looking like an “Old El Paso Hot Chili Pepper’s” can (taped a label on it!). I pair it with the Chin Lee Water suspension and with a Styrofoam pencil thru cup bit for a multi phase routine. It is a solid routine!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Harry - question about "Water-Lu" ... I've seen it advertised in the old Abbott's catalogs , but never seen it performed. It's the Hydrostatic Glass effect , but is the method the same ? I always thought "foo can" principle , but haven't ever actually seen one.

Your idea of covering the can with a real-life label is a good one . That's exactly what I did with an old Mak Magic foo can , which was just a straight-sided, squat cylinder shape : I covered it with a Maxwell House coffee label and I expect you can guess what kind of effect I do with it now. There is never any suspicion placed on the can because it looks like a very ordinary object now (in it's previous life it was a red can with a poorly painted stencil of a goofy looking white rabbit on it) . A plastic lid from a real coffee can fits over the top of the can , so the illusion is complete .
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It’s not a Foo can or really a hydrostatic glass. It uses a kind of hydrostatic glass principle but the cover never comes off. It drifts from the bottom to the top and back again. It is totally self-contained. Pour water into it until it is full to over flowing. Put a playing card over the mouth of the can, turn the thing upside down (typical hydrostatic handling so far), and peel the card away. Put the card back and turn the can up right again and pour the water out. Nothing to dislodge. The amount of fluid is the exact volume of the can. Lu Brent was a genius when he invented this little treasure.

I like your idea of the coffee can. It makes more sense than a stencil of a rabbit!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
No one has mentioned "Hospitality". I have this and use it sometimes, too.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
"Ice From Water" by Andrew Gerard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfWwuCGN9mU
Tony Chris
View Profile
V.I.P.
Vancouver, Canada
714 Posts

Profile of Tony Chris
My favorite routine with liquid is "The Jug" by Dan harlan. I had stopped doing the vanishing milk pi***er effect for many years as it was just to impractical in a workers world.

When Dan Harlan released the Jug a few years ago, I purchased it and have being doing it at almost every show from children's events to adult corporate work. It is a very practical gimmick and transporting to and from shows is a snap.

Some magicians still prefer to use the actual milk pi***er gimmick but it is just not something you see in todays world anymore. Where on the other hand, an actual 2 litre milk jug is something most of us and everyone else already has in their fridge at any time so it is a very common looking item.

I love mine and have used it for the last 3 years over hundreds of performances. It is the only liquid effect that I currently perform.
As magicians we create what onlookers call magic. If they truly believe in what we have created for them to witness then magic is real!!!

- TONY CHRIS, A.K.A. Zany Zack

http://www.tonychris.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Yeah, I like "The Jug" , too.

As you pointed out , most of us don't see many pitchers full of milk served in the real world , but I do regularly see pitchers full of iced-tea and beer . If you fill a standard milk pitcher like this one : Milk Pitcher
full of "dark beer" or dark red "kool-aid" it makes a pretty good vanish. But for milk I'd stick to "The Jug" or Abbott's "Miracle Tumbler" (a glass of milk is very believable as a real world object ) . The beauty of milk is that it's opaque, which sells the pouring illusion of the milk pitcher. Using a liquid that is too light colored (tea or light colored beer or light colored kool-aid) doesn't look as good as an opaque liquid like milk or dark beer , or dark red "kool aid" , etc.

By they way, I just attended a summer camp with meals served Caféteria-style in a big central tent area and they served ... you guessed it , milk in big glass pitchers on the table. So it's not totally unrealistic.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I'd also have to say Multum in Parvo. Saw it many years ago when I was a kid
and I still love it...
Tony Chris
View Profile
V.I.P.
Vancouver, Canada
714 Posts

Profile of Tony Chris
I like the dark beer idea and you are right. There are still some venues that use the pitchers, especially bars of course so I can see using the pitcher would still work.

I guess I have just become to attached to the jug these days. I too still own several different milk pitchers both glass and plastic and will on some occasions use them depending on the theme of the event. I performed a corporate event for a lemonade distributor last year and used one of my glass milk pitchers for that event. It was perfectly suitable then so yes indeed, the milk pitchers still have a good place in magic.

I guess I like the jug because of its ease of use and the relative simplicity of its appearance.
As magicians we create what onlookers call magic. If they truly believe in what we have created for them to witness then magic is real!!!

- TONY CHRIS, A.K.A. Zany Zack

http://www.tonychris.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have two.

There is a water bowl routine, perhaps it's the one Jeff McBried does, that was popularized by Assan in Germany. Harold Voit produced a limited number of them. It used two hemispherical bowls. Or, at least, that's what we were told. It was somewhat more complicated than that. The bowls were not gimmicked, just not hemispherical.

The other is mopping up.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I just got Chameleon Champagne from Japan, where you can change the color of its content 4 times. Very colorful liquid magic for your act.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-08-06 05:22, indomagic wrote:
I just got Chameleon Champagne from Japan, where you can change the color of its content 4 times. Very colorful liquid magic for your act.

Hi, Indomagic,

The demo of Chameleon Champagne looks very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68ggVQAsTs

How are the sight lines ? Are the angles a problem if spectators are standing or seated to the side? I understand that it is not a "do-it-surrounded" trick or else the dealer ads would be screaming "Can be done completely surrounded !" . (I'm not asking for discussion of method, just asking if anything is revealed by spectators being to the side) . I like the look of the video , but something tells me this is one of those tricks that looks very good in front of a TV camera or if the audience is positioned directly in front , but maybe has bad sight lines for real world performing conditions. (?)

Also, can I customize the colors or does it have to be the same red, amber, and green colors as shown in the demo ?

I would prefer a color sequence that goes: Clear water , to light amber ("white wine") to
rosé ("blush") wine , to dark red wine color, then back to clear water.

Would it be possible to change the gimmick so the colors are as I describe ?

Thanks.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2008-08-11 19:17, David Todd wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-06 05:22, indomagic wrote:

Hi, Indomagic,

The demo of Chameleon Champagne looks very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68ggVQAsTs

How are the sight lines ? Are the angles a problem if spectators are standing or seated to the side? I understand that it is not a "do-it-surrounded" trick or else the dealer ads would be screaming "Can be done completely surrounded !" . (I'm not asking for discussion of method, just asking if anything is revealed by spectators being to the side) . I like the look of the video , but something tells me this is one of those tricks that looks very good in front of a TV camera or if the audience is positioned directly in front , but maybe has bad sight lines for real world performing conditions. (?)

Also, can I customize the colors or does it have to be the same red, amber, and green colors as shown in the demo ?

I would prefer a color sequence that goes: Clear water , to light amber ("white wine") to
rosé ("blush") wine , to dark red wine color, then back to clear water.

Would it be possible to change the gimmick so the colors are as I describe ?

Thanks.

I noticed that you never got an answer to your question. I just received my Chameleon today and I think it will be something I will be able to use. To answer your specific questions, you will not want anyone to your sides or to your back. Peforming from a stage would be the perfect venue. The color sequence shown in the demo can be altered and the actual colors could be altered as well by customizing your own gimmick which would probably not be very difficult for anyone of average ability. I can't wait to try mine on a live audience. I think it will be a great opener.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
On 2008-08-28 23:56, misterillusion wrote:
Quote:

I noticed that you never got an answer to your question. I just received my Chameleon today and I think it will be something I will be able to use. To answer your specific questions, you will not want anyone to your sides or to your back. Peforming from a stage would be the perfect venue. The color sequence shown in the demo can be altered and the actual colors could be altered as well by customizing your own gimmick which would probably not be very difficult for anyone of average ability. I can't wait to try mine on a live audience. I think it will be a great opener.

Thank you very much , Misterillusion. That information is helpful to me in deciding whether to get this effect . To me it looks very good in the demo, but I do think I would want to customize the colors , so this is the answer I was looking for .
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Nobody mentioned slush powder. Effect with slush powder, although considered "simple" by magicians, never fail to completely fool an audience.

Jim
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
163 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
Where do you order Chameleon Champagne from a link to a website please ....

Thanks

Mike
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-09-01 22:46, Mike McEathron wrote:
Where do you order Chameleon Champagne from a link to a website please ....

Thanks

Mike

http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......s_id/182

or

http://stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=10274
mrdane
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento / San Francisco
191 Posts

Profile of mrdane
I suppose Flow could work as well on stage with the right patter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best Effect with a Liquid (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL