The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best Effect with a Liquid (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-09-01 17:06, jimhlou wrote:
Nobody mentioned sl_ _ _ p _ _ _ _r ... although considered "simple" by magicians, never fail to completely fool an audience.

Jim

You'd be surprised at the number of lay people (especially kids who have seen it demo'd as a Science Experiment in school programs) know all about it.

The trick is to show the cups unmistakably empty and examinable at the start and then surreptitiously introduce the stuff . There is a topic here (search) on preparing packets of the stuff which can be easily concealed . This will throw off the ones who know about the stuff.

Or you can openly do it by using a routine with a coffee cup . Pour in coffee , creamer , and sugar from a packet of sugar . Stir. Turn cup upside down --- coffee has vanished.
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Yes snow and sl*** po*** is now sold in toy shops. Too bad. Just like the Kevin James living arm illusion that became every kid store staple.
oldi
View Profile
New user
switzerland
92 Posts

Profile of oldi
Water monty by Scott Alexander. Its on his Midnight Show DVD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_APHz--MFY
ting
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of ting
Why Didn't Anyone mention the Chan lee Water Suspension??
Its a great effect too!

Anson
Lion Dope
View Profile
New user
York PA
88 Posts

Profile of Lion Dope
I second the Chen- Lee water suspension. Great little trick.
Mike
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1789 Posts

Profile of Anatole
There are some really nice liquid tricks in _Marconick's Original Magic_. I particularly like "Shaker Finale," in which a cocktail shaker is used to produce a 36" silk. As the title says, it makes a great finale to a routine or act. I don't recall if Marconick's description included pouring liquid into the shaker cups, but I added a sl--h p--r component so that wine-colored liquid could be poured into the cups and "transformed" into the silk. As the silk appears, you're in perfect applause pose.

Marconick had some outstanding ideas and routines in his books. I think his "Prisoner Silk," which was once sold by Tannen's, is the ultimate 20th century silk routine. Imagine this: You tie a red and blue silk together by their corners. Then you take a white silk and toss it toward the red and blue silks. It looks like the white silk visibly ties itself between the red and blue one. I ended by changing the red, white and blue silks into an American flag, but you could also end by changing three silks of any color into a 36-inch art silk.

Of course, any of Anverdi's liquid tricks would be outstanding, like his ring glass. I doubt that it's available anywhere, though. (Anverdi's lecture was the first magic lecture I ever attended. I thought all magic lectures would be that good.)

That brings up an idea for a new thread in the stage manipulation category. We often talk about books with great manipulation routines. How about a thread on live lectures that included a manipulation component? Anverdi's lecture had some very nice ball manipulation bits, as well as thimble magic--including I think the one where there are four thimbles on the fingers and one by one they jump from one finger to the other. (See Walter B. Gibson's _What's New in Magic_ for that routine.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Sands of Time and Chinese Rice Bowls..
Self concept is destiny..
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I purchased Chameleon Champagne and was very sceptical at first. I have been let down too many times with bad magic purchases. I absolutely love Chameleon Champagne and I am happy I purchased it. Very simple and I just wish I had thought of the simple method first......

Take care,

Bryan
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 19:08, _MB_ wrote:

My favorite is AIRBORNE and a mirror glass.

What do you think???

Me too! I actually have a routine with both...
Dare to Dream...
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
And I like Slush Powder, like Jim said.
Dare to Dream...
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1404 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I second the water monte effect on Scott Alexander's DVD. It's incredible!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22107 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In using the Chameleon Champagne, do you have to start out with the glass full of water or can you fill the glass in front of the audience? I am speaking per the instructions.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
I am fond of the simplicity and fun of chen lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kex6O6luRhk
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I have a question for the Chameleon Champagne effect also. Can you drink the liquid after the effect is finished? Is it difficult to rig your own glass? Can you make the change without a silk, perhaps by a movement of the glass, besically without cover is what I'm getting at..
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Winston Freer, aka Dr Maxam, had a very smart large bowl of water vanishing in full view from the top of a vertically held ten foot pod.
Gaetan Bloom has rebuilt a sample to demonstrate the principle in his lecture on Winston Freer: it's extremely clever.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Tennispro
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Tennispro
Mmmmm there are some pretty big price differences in Multum in Parvo glasses I have seen them range from $18 to $100. Why such a difference?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have built Horace Marshall's Bowl on a Pole vanish as I own the rights to it. If you watch the Miracle Factory of Kalanag working you can see him doing it.

It is a real fooler.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have an effect I invented back in 1980, 4 stars in genii and featured in Tannens catalog. Called "Refreshments". A six champagne glass production from a square circle no larger than one champagne glass.
All liquids are real drinks and different beverages.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
639 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
My own combo Benson/Rice Bowl routine. (not a store bought prop)also no rice!
Kills every time
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1789 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I liked Grant's Magic Tea Kettle. Pour liquid into four shot glasses, each shot glass filling with a different color. Lift the lid of the tea kettle and produce four colored silks to match the liquids in the shot glasses.

Before I became a magician, I used to love watching a magician pour a pitcher of milk into a paper cone and making it vanish or change into a bouquet of flowers. Even better if the paper cone was made from a sheet of flash paper and cone and liquid both vanished in a flash of fire. In the 60's there was a brand of flash paper called Pro-Glo that was somewhat heavier than the standard tissue paper type paper. Is that still available?

Speaking of flowers--I loved to see Botanias, although some of my magic friends complained that they looked like big feather dusters. On the other hand, Marshall's blooming bouquet was a classic, especially the way my mentor Earl Edwards performed it.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best Effect with a Liquid (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL