The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Why is it people jump to conclusions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Since this topic is about mask manipulations, I am posting it in this forum.

Why is it as soon as a magician sees a performer using masks, they instantly think he is copying Jeff McBride.

Excuse me if I am wrong, but I don't even think Jeff was the first to use them.

Masks have always been a hobby for me, collecting them, displaying them, making and painting them - and I would love a mask act. Although I don't want to be classed as a 'McBride Copy Cat' just because I am performing colour changing masks and different mask vanishes etc.

Surely there are original moves to do with masks, without copying anyone, and I am setting out to find my own!

(End of rant)

Smile

-Kevin-
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I agree, it's like saying no one can perform street magic because they might think that person is copying David Blaine.

I use masks in my show and I don't feel guilty. I don't use them to copy anyone, I use it to create a specific mood in the act for my show.

Good post Scot! Smile
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Eddie, thanks for your input regarding my post.

The thing being, is that since I was very young, I have collected masks from movies etc. I would buy them from joke shops, and even send away for them.

When I grew up, I started getting into painting the masks, and it would make sense to the masks (and hobby) to use in creating a mask act.

I would be pleased to hear everyone elses input. I decided to post this after reading this post.

-Kevin-
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
Scot,
I don't think there is anything wrong with you developing a mask act. We do what we do because we love it. This is part of you. Why not use it. Good Luck on venture. Smile
Zauber280
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
67 Posts

Profile of Zauber280
Masks are a timeless art form and it would be a shame to limit yourself simply because a "known" magician developed a famous routine with them. I'm in love with Venitian masks and would love to use them as part of a magic routine in the future. Perhaps not even using the masks for magic per se, but as a costume piece.

Go for it, I say!
--
Joel

"In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest."

-Henry Miller
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I am now in the process of getting some blank masks so I can start the designs for the routine.

Someone else I know pointed out the fact that the general public haven't even heard of Jeff McBride, never mind witnessed his mask routine (Especially here is Scotland!)

Smile - Colour changing smiley!

Thanks again,
-Kevin-
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
If you use masks in your act you can't be a 'McBride Copy Cat'. There was a magician in the 30's or 40's using masks! So if anything, MccBride copied him.

Ray Noble
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I wouldnt say you are copying McBride anymore than dove workers are copying Lance Burton.

Magic using masks has been around for centuries so I don't think McBride can lay claim to it!

Like you said, not many lay people have heard of McBride (NZ is similar to Scotland in that respect!). Most people over here have not heard of Lance Burton, and barely know who Penn and Teller are, so I imagine your mask act will be considered unique and refreshing by audiences over there.

Good luck with it,

Chris.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I thought the same, I thought thousands of people perform the linking rings, and the don't get classed as 'copy cats'. So whats the difference with masks?

Anyway, since I decided to start planning, I have came up with things McBride doesn't do which will be exciting.

Smile

-Kevin-
Magicman13
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Magicman13
Scot,

Go for it man and maybe one day it will be you we are talking about in this forum like we talk of McBride today.

Your 14 right? You have plenty of time to sit back, relax and think of an awesome routine. And then to master it which takes years.

I am doing a phantom of the opera act in my show and it uses the "phantom" mask. There are no changes or anything major it just vanishes to a silk in the beginning of the routine after a little acting.

Anyways, go for it and have fun. Let us know if you need any help. Smile

Cheers, Smile

Leon!
"Leave your own Legacy." *Mickey Mantle

"Be Natural." *The Professor
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Thanks for your optimism!

Smile

I am 14, and I just ordered a batch of masks which I will pick up this weekend, and buy some fresh paints for the designing of the masks.

Maybe one day I will be knows for masks... you never know.

Smile Smile Smile

-Kevin-
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Shimada dabbled and performed with masks long before some of these recent performers.
This type of performance belongs to NO ONE exclusively. Do it well, get credit for it, and it's YOUR act. I'll bet you can't count beyond your left hand the number of performers who execute such acts to this degree.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I agree Randy has a very good point!
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Randy is absolutely right. In fact, Shimada still uses masks in his "Dragon Act" whenever he performs it in it's entirety.

I believe that the manipulation of masks has it's roots in oriental magic. Seems that (if my memory serves me correctly) they have a fascination with masks that we don't have here in the west. In any event, nobody has a "copyright" on their use.
Coram Deo
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
There is nothing wrong with adding a mask act to your show. The important thing is that it is origional. If you do the exact same act as McBride, than you are a copy cat. However, if you have an act that is developed by you and your imagination, then it's fine to use in your show.
Magicman13
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Magicman13
Well said Daniel.
"Leave your own Legacy." *Mickey Mantle

"Be Natural." *The Professor
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2003-03-24 20:02, Daniel J. Ferrara Jr. wrote:
There is nothing wrong with adding a mask act to your show. The important thing is that it is origional. If you do the exact same act as McBride, than you are a copy cat. However, if you have an act that is developed by you and your imagination, then it is fine to use in your show.

Daniel,

Thank you for pointing out the importance of originality! There is nothing more tragic than a Shimada or McBride clone. If you watch The Greater Magic Video Library "Shimada, Doves" Vol.2, you are clearly reminded that you are about to view HIS act and you should create your own. In Jeff McBride's "The Art of Card Manipulation" Vol.3, Jeff says he'd be upset if he ever saw McBride clones. He encourages you to create your own act utilizing the classic methods he teaches.
They both do us a great favor in reminding us to create our own.
mitchmajik
View Profile
New user
Illinois
27 Posts

Profile of mitchmajik
Kevin,

I always encourage people to find their unique interests and bring them into their expression of magic. That's what creating performance art is about, expressing your infinitely unique individuality. From your post, it's obvious that you have a passion for masks that developed separately from having seen McBride, or even from magic performances at all. Bringing your passion into your magic, including your passion for masks, is what will set you apart and make your magic the best it can be. GO FOR IT!

Mitch Williams
Make your magic more creative and impressive;
http://www.artofmagicseries.com/toolkit.htm
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
In fact I was into collecting masks several years before starting magic - and when I did do magic for a few months, I used to finish an act with producing a mask on my face, this was before any McBride videos I had viewed.

(Just for the record)

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Why is it people jump to conclusions? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL