The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Google Adwords Price (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I am thinking of using Google AdWords. Their explanation is you set your own limit and the amount you pay per click, for instance $5 per day and 10 cents per click. It seems to me this must mean that the higher price you set per click the better placement you get, but I don't see that anywhere in the explanation.

Anyone know?

Thanks.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
It's an interesting system.

The higher price per click, the larger number of times you add will appear in a given time period.

FYI, if you buy something from vistaprint.com, they give you a $50 Google Adwords credit.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Dean, you can spend a lot of money really quickly
trying to figure out adwords. If you think $5 a day is OK
then I strongly suggest you save that for 10 days
and buy Perry Marshalls course. It's about $50 last time I looked.
It will save you mega time and money in the long run.

Adwords is a steep learning curve that can generate spectacular results
both good and bad. Smile

If you don't want to spend that amount on research at least subscribe
to his free 5 day course that will answer many of you questions

Perry Marshall link

timothy
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Thanks. The deal is that while my ad in a local parents' magazine does okay, business here in Michigan has dropped off. And I used to be one of the top search results for my city + magician in Google and Yahoo, but not so anymore, and I notice that email inquiries have dropped. When I check it out now I find I am also competing with ads, so I wondered what to do.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
I personally think you'd be better off here... http://www.adbrite.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you tweaked your search engine placement you wouldn't need those expensive adwords.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Al,

I don't think I know how to do what you are referring to. I do have meta keywords in my html. I used to be placed higher. There are still a couple of referral sites that show me and come up very high.

But I suspect you may be talking about a paid placement that requires parameters, yet is not based on adwords. Could you elaborate?

Thanks.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Yes Al, do elaborate.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The more often you submitt your web site to google the higher your web site will be rated, but if you submit it more often than every 30 days it will be treated like spam, so the first of every month fot the past 10 years I have submited my web site. That is one reason why you may be loosing ground.

Too many meta tage could be as bad as the wrong meta tags.

If you pay someone to make your web site "search engine friendly" you will only have to do it once.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Quote:
so the first of every month for the past 10 years I have submited my web site.

Great tip Al
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
539 Posts

Profile of Carducci
It's actually not necessary to resubmit your site to Google and other big search engines. Once you're in the database, your site will be crawled anywhere from monthly to every few months.

Meta tags do still factor into the ranking (and submission and meta tags are a great place to start), but it's only a small part of the formula. The biggest factors seem to be who links to you, title text, page description, page structure and where your keywords are used in all these places (I'm oversimplfying somewhat) I have top 5 positions for all my desired search queries but I also use adwords, partypop, gigmasters etc.

Anyway, I would suggest starting an adwords campaign before your decide which keywords to optimize for. With adwords, first you want to make sure you are a specific as possible with your keywords. If you do shows in a given region, then you want your ads to appear when people in your region are specifically looking for a magician. To do this, your wrap your search phrases in quotes and you try to think of all the possible ways to search for a magician in your area. "yourtown magician" "magician yourtown", "Magician in yourtown" "magicians in yourtown" etc. If you don't use the exact matching (using quotes) you will find your ads getting clicked on by people who aren't looking to book you. You also want to filter by region if you do most of your work in one market.

When I first started using adwords, I was far too general and ended up paying for clicks from people who were not looking for a magician. Occasionally I booked a few shows but it wasn't worth it. The bottom line is, if you're paying for clicks, only pay for the very best clicks--people who are looking for a magician for thier event. Also I strongly advise against advertising on the content network. (that's where your ad shows up on other webpages)

Once you've run your adwords campaign for a few months (especially during a peak season like christmas) you will get very valuable data. You will see, for each keyword, how many times your ads were shown (roughly equal to how many times people searched for it) the top 3-5 will be the search phrases you will want to optimize your site for.

Search the top 5 or 10 queries and see what directories rank highly. You can, very cheaply, get listed on partypop and gigmasters to fill in the gaps allowing your to focus on the top searches.

Another great tool, especially when you are using adwords is web traffic logging. I've tried various free traffic analyzer tools including google analytics and some open source ones but the very best one and the one I use now is called web-stat I use this to, not only give me detailed stats about what people are doing on my website (where they come from, what pages the look at, how long the spend on each page etc) which allows me to tweak everything to increase my conversion ratios, but it also tells me when if my site goes down (your don't want to be paying for clicks that never make it to your site)

Finally, it really depends on your market what you will need to pay; how competitve is it? If you are filtering out all but the serious enquires you will get fewer impressions and thus fewer clicks so perhaps a larger investment would be worthwhile.

Remember, though, that your maximum cost per click is only part of what gives you good placement in the ads. You also need compelling ads that get clicked (that's why you want to always have at least two ads alternating at any time, so you can determine the better one.)

There is a ton of free information that really tells you anything you could ever want to know.

If you have any specific questions, PM me or shoot me an email. I, by no means have all the answers but, if nothing else, I can help you find the answer.

Good Luck!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Carducci
I find your advise very sound, but if there's a ton of free information that will help you get to the top of a search engine seach why do you need adwords? Adwords is a suckrs game, and if you are sharp with your free search engine placement you are just being redundant. I have been in the top ten of all the biggest search engines for a long time and except for the first six months it has all been for free.

Keywords, and titles count to, but once you get them streight you are done with that business.

There are other things I do that gives me the edge which I do not talk about, because my competitors are Café members too.
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
539 Posts

Profile of Carducci
It probably is a little redundant, but I've recently restarted my adwords campaign for three reasons. 1. My site doesn't perform well for every relevant search phrase (including searches in surrounding areas) and nor do the directories I list in. and 2. my philosophy is, the more ways people can find me, the better. Almost all my traffic comes from other means, but the more links I have on that 1st page, the better IMO.
3. I wanted to get updated stats on which searches were the most common in my market.

I'll let it run for a few months, see what it costs, what I get out it and go from there. As it stands, I'm getting less than 3% of my web traffic from paid clicks.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

This has been a true case of magicians helping magicians. You all would not believe the private messages I have gotten with tons of great information. I am a programmer, but I'm not real deep into web development, and a couple of PM's sent me right to the FREE software I needed to build a clean site quickly AND add forms.

Plus all the advice on those pesky keywords.

Thanks, everyone.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I'm glad you got the help you were seeking, Dean. Would you, or anyone else, be so kind as to let me in on the free software to build a clean site along with forms? And, any advice on keywords would be appreciated too. I've got a reasonable site with pretty good organic search result listings, but not in a very wide range of search phrases. I'd really like to improve my site and organic search result ranking if at all possible. Thanks in advance for the help!
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
NVU is the software I suggested he try. It is open source, Free and surprisingly full featured for a free program. I believe it is NVU.org. a Small learning curve if you are a total newbie, but decent help and tutorial info with the program and forum.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dean Montalbano (please excuse my spelling)
Thanks buddie. This subject has come up before, but this time we got some good FREE advise instead of the same old buy a course advise.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Here's a link to a new SEO blog for magicians which explains why Al's site is getting the rankings he is getting. http://www.seoformagicians.com/?p=5
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

So if I understand that article, I should update my page hosted on Comcast because it may rank higher than my site on my own domain?
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
No, that's not what I read at all. He was just showing how Al's site is ranking. It's working for him, but it may not work for you. Not that comcast is going out of business anytime soon, but if something happened to the company or the way they host sites, Al's site would lose it's rankings. His domain name isn't getting the high ranking, the comcast address is and that's not the best way to go for a solid, long term solution.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Google Adwords Price (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL