The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bewildering Bracelets by Petrick & Mia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
If you've ever witnessed Petrick perform his Bewildering Bracelets, you know the devastating impact it has on an audience. Not only is it filled with strong magic, but teriffic comedy as well!

Two plastic bracelets are placed on top of a length of string and presto! One of the bracelets is instantly threaded on the string with no possible explanation! This is repeated with the second bracelet also amazingly penetrating the string! But that's not all! Not by a long shot!

A spectator then chooses one of the bracelets and the magician visually removes it from the string, visibly melting through and dropping to the table! But that's not all! Not by a long shot!

Before they can catch their breath the bracelets have somehow become linked to each other! Just as quickly, the bracelets are unlinked and everything may be handed out for complete examination. W-O-W!

Comes complete Petrick's Bewildering Bracelets, string and complete, detailed instructions!

I was wondering if anyone owned this trick? There is a video demo up on MagicSmith.Com if you want to check it out. I would like to know if sleight of hand is invloved or funny moves. If someone has it could you please PM me so we could talk about it? Thank you... Smile
§kitch
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5702 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Part of the method has to do with the unique bracelets that are used. Some handling is required and it will take a little time to learn how to do. I've seen it performed and it looks good.

I don't use this method -- I prefer props that I can find easily in a store, if the props are lost.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Quote:
On 2003-03-23 01:21, Alan Munro wrote:
Part of the method has to do with the unique bracelets that are used. Some handling is required and it will take a little time to learn how to do. I've seen it performed and it looks good.

I don't use this method -- I prefer props that I can find easily in a store, if the props are lost.

Alan, about 25 years ago when Petrick first came out with this great trick, these braclets were available at stores all over. Petrick discovered their unusual property and devised a very clever handling and routine.
These bracelets were a fad then and in the right situation, you could borrow two from a spectator who happened to be wearing theirs.
Evan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Evan
I have it... or HAD it. One of my bracelets broke after about a week of use. The trick is ok I think, but I have tricks I like MUCH more than this trick. Is it worth the money? Yes I think it is if your bracelets don't break like mine did. Anybody know where I could find a replacement?

Evan
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3733 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
It's nothing personal about P&M...most of their items are just stuff that Petrick performs well and you buy at his lecture after the show (both of which you normally have to BUY tickets for), you get 'em home and never use 'em. Anybody want a set of the original P&M Magic Coins? I even bought "Transformer" a long time ago, and thought it had potential...until I tried working with it.

Steve Thomas
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
548 Posts

Profile of debaser
I agree with Steve. I love Petrick and Mia and not only are they funny but there very nice. I think I bout some wierd knot and rope trick from them with shoelaces.

They are kind of like a poor mans Gaeton Bloom. All there stuff is totally original and use methods that are uncommon. However all there stuff is unusable more or less. Dick Zimmerman is similiar, interesting ideas that you'll never use.

Oh and I bought a couple sets of linking razor blades (couldnt resist).

Matt
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
The instructions are not very well written. I've traded mine some time back. My friends who own it broke it within a few practices. What I heard from Petrick is, the braclets are from Japan and it comes it a long piece, he'll cut them and glue them to make braclets.
Bernard Sim
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-03-23 17:11, debaser wrote:
I agree with Steve. I love Petrick and Mia and not only are they funny but there very nice. I think I bout some wierd knot and rope trick from them with shoelaces.

They are kind of like a poor mans Gaeton Bloom. All there stuff is totally original and use methods that are uncommon. However all there stuff is unusable more or less. Dick Zimmerman is similiar, interesting ideas that you'll never use.

Oh and I bought a couple sets of linking razor blades (couldnt resist).

Matt

Matt,

I too have a set of the Linking Razor Blades, his Devils Pitchfork and his Magic Straw (drinking straw thru card) effect. Never used any of them, but I'm not certain how much of the reason is because I didn't have the nerve and how much is because the handling seemed so impractical.

I also have Petrick and Mia's original set of lecture notes (a series entitled "7") I kinda liked the lecture notes because I got them when I was rebounding into my "purist" phase and and would only use "ordinary" items.

P&M wrote the lecture notes and used the ordinary items out of necessaity because when they first emigrated to the USA, they were so poor they couldn't afford professional props and so they improvised. I like the idea of using ordinary objects but too much of a "good thing" quickly deteriorates. I mean, after all, you don't wnat to be come known as the "grocery bag, milk carton. dixie cups" magician. At least some of your props should be A-1 quality. Its the differnece between using the aluminum Morissey cups and balls versus the Johnson, Riser or Paul Fox cups and balls.

P&M have earned their place in the magic fraternity. And with their routine(s), the "ordinary objects" seem to fit their style. It's just that they will never forget how poor and struggling they were when they first came to the USA. This is not intended as a criticism, but merely to appreciate how and why they do the magic they do and use the props that they do.

Turk

P.S. Now I've really got to get out that Magic Straw routine....Its so old, its new. Linking Razor blades? I dunno...I'm not certain if the current generation even knows what razor BLADES are. (grin)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of wally
Looking for info for patrick and mia Bewildering Bracelets
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4453 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
What information are you looking for?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2296 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I have several, never been used. I also have several other P&M items.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Hookem
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Hookem
I saw Petrick perform the bewildering bracelets. It was impressive and I even laughed out loud. Bought a set and one of them broke after awhile. They are not made to last with that kind of use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bewildering Bracelets by Petrick & Mia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL