The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wierd News (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I heard this on the National news this morning. I kept running it through my mind all day and just couldn't stop laughing: it's now been determined that obese people contribute to global warming.

How so?

Well according to the news lady, they use more GAS to haul their butt back and forth (and the extra food that they consume.)

(Think McDonald's here folks)

Anyway, for what it's worth.

No I didn't make it up. It really was a national news exclusive this morning.

Posted:
Home » Opinion » Article
Global warming and obesity: the links revealed

* Email
* Print
* Normal font
* Large font

Illustration: Jamie
AdvertisementAdvertisement
By Jim Schembri
November 13, 2006
Page 1 of 2 |Single page

The day will soon come when we shall be roused from our beds, not by the ringing of the alarm clock, but by the rising sea levels slapping us on our slumbering faces. That is how serious global warming is. What makes it worse is that we shall all be so morbidly obese by then we won't be able to rise from our beds to save ourselves.

There is absolutely, positively no question whatsoever that we are in the midst of a climate change crisis. It is also categorically and undeniably beyond any dispute that it is man-made. Maybe.

It is also beyond any sensible argument that the western world is suffering from an obesity epidemic owing to all the junk food people consume. Listen closely the next time somebody takes their seat. Hear that slightly pleasant squelching sound? That's because the average western bottom is now so full of saturated fat and trans-fatty acid that people audibly slosh when they walk.

Up until now the obesity crisis and the global warming crisis have been regarded as two separate crises. However, irrefutable scientific evidence has recently emerged showing that the two crises are, in fact, inextricably linked. The devastating fallout from this shattering revelation is clear and unavoidable - we shall all have to get our tongues around the correct pronunciation of the word "crises".

The cycle begins with the excessive ingestion of fast foods such as pies, hamburgers, kebabs, chips, potato cakes, maybe a piece of fl ake, some dim sims and, sure, a couple of schnitzels and throw in a spring roll, why not? And salt on that please.

The person consumes the food and gets bigger. This has several major deleterious consequences for the environment, not the least of which will now be having to also learn how to pronounce "deleterious" properly as the "crises" worsen. Their bloated bodies accelerate the emission of gases during digestion. This, in turn, contributes to the greenhouse effect. And because it is too much effort to walk, their increased use of cars and buses and taxies to get from one fast food franchise to the next adds to the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. The chief repercussion of the greenhouse effect is bad weather, which means more hurricanes, which means more rain, which means more grass, which is what cows like to eat.

This results in the well-documented growth of both the size and population of cows, which leads to lower beef prices, which allows the manufacturers of fast food to buy more cattle to make more hamburgers, which naturally brings the price down, which allows people to buy more hamburgers and thus eat more hamburgers, and thus produce more greenhouses gases, and so on and so forth
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I content that skinny health addicts ie: Jogger's, Cyclist's and the million's who participate in Athletic's add just as much "Greenhouse Gas" as the obese, due to the extra Carbon Dioxide they emit due to heavy breathing caused from the extra activity.

"What makes it worse is that we shall all be so morbidly obese by then we won't be able to rise from our beds to save ourselves."

Obese people float better than skinny people.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Listen closely the next time somebody takes their seat. Hear that slightly pleasant squelching sound? That's because the average western bottom is now so full of saturated fat and trans-fatty acid that people audibly slosh when they walk."

Better watch yourself, next thing you know the obese will be using the skinny's for dental floss.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Up until now the obesity crisis and the global warming crisis have been regarded as two separate crises. However, irrefutable scientific evidence has recently emerged showing that the two crises are, in fact, inextricably linked."

Many people, when faced with a crisis, will eat in order to calm their nerves.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The person consumes the food and gets bigger. This has several major deleterious consequences for the environment, not the least of which will now be having to also learn how to pronounce "deleterious" properly as the "crises" worsen."

Maybe if too many people become obese the world will get too heavy and fall out of the sky. Problem solved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"This results in the well-documented growth of both the size and population of cows, which leads to lower beef prices, which allows the manufacturers of fast food to buy more cattle to make more hamburgers"

I did not realize that the "Fast Food" hamburger's had so much meat in them.

I am a bit confused. Who is most to blame? Obese people or Obese cows?
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hey, While I am certainly overweight, I am also a vegetarian! How does that fit into this scenario?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 11:58, Cliffg37 wrote:
Hey, While I am certainly overweight, I am also a vegetarian! How does that fit into this scenario?

Don't eat the fat vegetables like Turnips, Potato's, Rutabagas or Squash.
Eat only the skinny ones like Carrots, Celery, String Beans and Parsnips.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 10:57, irossall wrote:
I content that skinny health addicts ie: Jogger's, Cyclist's and the million's who participate in Athletic's add just as much "Greenhouse Gas" as the obese, due to the extra Carbon Dioxide they emit due to heavy breathing caused from the extra activity.

Isn't Carbon Dioxide susposed to be a Good thing?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 15:02, Justin Style wrote:
Quote:

Not in all quantities or concentrations.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 15:02, Justin Style wrote:
Quote:

Yes all green plants require Carbon Dioxide which they, through photosynthesis produce oxygen, breathable air.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 20:35, daffydoug wrote:
The day will soon come when we shall be roused from our beds, not by the ringing of the alarm clock, but by the rising sea levels slapping us on our slumbering faces. That is how serious global warming is. What makes it worse is that we shall all be so morbidly obese by then we won't be able to rise from our beds to save ourselves.

There is absolutely, positively no question whatsoever that we are in the midst of a climate change crisis. It is also categorically and undeniably beyond any dispute that it is man-made. Maybe.

It is also beyond any sensible argument that the western world is suffering from an obesity epidemic owing to all the junk food people consume. Listen closely the next time somebody takes their seat. Hear that slightly pleasant squelching sound? That's because the average western bottom is now so full of saturated fat and trans-fatty acid that people audibly slosh when they walk.

Up until now the obesity crisis and the global warming crisis have been regarded as two separate crises. However, irrefutable scientific evidence has recently emerged showing that the two crises are, in fact, inextricably linked. The devastating fallout from this shattering revelation is clear and unavoidable - we shall all have to get our tongues around the correct pronunciation of the word "crises".

The cycle begins with the excessive ingestion of fast foods such as pies, hamburgers, kebabs, chips, potato cakes, maybe a piece of fl ake, some dim sims and, sure, a couple of schnitzels and throw in a spring roll, why not? And salt on that please.

The person consumes the food and gets bigger. This has several major deleterious consequences for the environment, not the least of which will now be having to also learn how to pronounce "deleterious" properly as the "crises" worsen. Their bloated bodies accelerate the emission of gases during digestion. This, in turn, contributes to the greenhouse effect. And because it is too much effort to walk, their increased use of cars and buses and taxies to get from one fast food franchise to the next adds to the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. The chief repercussion of the greenhouse effect is bad weather, which means more hurricanes, which means more rain, which means more grass, which is what cows like to eat.

This results in the well-documented growth of both the size and population of cows, which leads to lower beef prices, which allows the manufacturers of fast food to buy more cattle to make more hamburgers, which naturally brings the price down, which allows people to buy more hamburgers and thus eat more hamburgers, and thus produce more greenhouses gases, and so on and so forth

People have been talking about catastrophic climate change since the 1890s. And you know what's interesting: it's always been exactly 50 years away.

50 years, close enough to scare people - far enough that nobody will need to take responsibility for being wrong.

Apparently EVERYTHING causes global warming. Cows, people, natural phenomenon, everything.

Here's something ridiculous:
Gore's movie claimed that the recent increase in the number of hurricanes was evidence of global warming. His computer models "proved" that warmer water produces more hurricanes. He claimed that hurricane Katrina was absolute proof that he was right, and that we would only see more frequent hurricanes and more powerful hurricanes in years to come.

Problems:
1. There hasn't been a major hurricane since Katrina.
2. Atmospheric scientists questioned Gore's computer models and rechecked his work. He had excluded the effect water temperature has on air temperature (warmer water = warmer air). When this massive oversight was corrected, new computer models showed that warmer water actually prevents hurricanes.
3. A recent (released last month) study questioned whether or not hurricanes could be connected to global warming at all - since scientists still aren't sure exactly what causes them.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I also content.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wierd News (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL