The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » A brief report about the Third Annual Storytelling Magicians' Conference. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Last week in Bad Heilbrunn, Germany, I attended the Third Annual Storytelling Magicians' Conference. This was really wonderful. I had a chance to see the progress of some of the people I met two years ago at the first one.

All of the stories were very high caliber. Among them was Jörg Alexander's wonderful reinterpretation of the Punx story "Kismet" from Magical Adventures and Fairy Tales/Once Upon A Time. It is still a work in progress, but his work so far is the best I have seen of this story. Jörg also presented Borodin's "The Face" as part of a tribute to Borodin. He did a very fine job of this very difficult to present work.

During this same tribute, Christoph Borer presented Borodin's "Swan Lake" from Final Curtain. This presentation was done outdoors at night. The wind gods were kind to Christoph, and the story went off without a hitch.

The best storytelling magicians in the German-speaking world were there, and they kept everything going quite well.

Additionally, presentations were given in costuming, makeup and prop-building.

The only unfortunate thing about this get together is that it is strictly limited to 30 people. And they get first crack at the next year.

I almost forgot -- my friend Jannis did a wonderful presentation of Losander's floating table that had an unbelievable story which was based on a Chilean legend.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
OK, why can't we do this here?

Why not a United States "Storytelling Magic Conference"?

Well, probably because only a dozen of us would want to attend?

Anyway, if there were interest in setting one up I'd help out.
the San Francisco area is a great place to visit and a plus to the subject matter.

What do you think???
Walt
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I'm with you Walt.

Thank you Bill.
Roni
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Roni
Perhaps "Psycrets" (The British Society of Mystery Entertainers)will consider promoting something like this?
Our next meeting is mostly about Seance and Bizarre performances that are laced with story telling:
http://www.psycrets.co.uk
For more details
Cheers
Roni
Roni
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Roni
Sorry I have made a mistake PSYCRETS web address is:

http://www.psycrets.org.uk
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The ICBM gathering is the closest thing we have to this over here.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Quintana
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Quintana
Even though I'm not performing as much, I'm for it! Great idea Walt and Bill!

Quintana
Rosemary
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Rosemary
I always felt that storytelling magic is as close to real magic as we can get. I keep on wondering why clowns or people doing card tricks are in more popular demand... and receive a better paycheck.
This is - in my opinion - the ultimate form of magic. This and mentalism.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's not that clowns or people doing card tricks are in greater demand or that they receive a higher fee. You are the one who determines how much demand there is for what you do. You are the one who sets the fees.

Don't book yourself as a magician. Book yourself as a storyteller with that "something extra."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings everyone,

I haven't posted on this thread before but I have a suggestion and, if I may be so bold, a request.

The request? Please do lets work on getting something like the above event together for the U.S. What a wonderful and magical event that would be! There is the National Storytelling Conference which rotates around the US, the National Storytelling Festival held annually in Jonesboro, TN and several other telling events but these are just that, storyteller events. There are conventions as we know all over the US as well as several that are national level, but those are magic events which may or may not offer some storytelling magicians. There is nothing to begin to compare with what Bill is speaking about above.

The suggestion? We own a home near Jacksonville, Florida. Just about 2 miles away, on the St John's river, with a pictoresque and wonderful background there is a fantastic ampitheater which we could use, free of charge, if we wish to hold an event there. This would be outdoors, reminiscent of the open stages used by Roman performers, but the performers would be under a shell shaped dome which would protect them from rainy weather. We could join forces with one of the service clubs in the area who would help sell tickets for a 10 or 15 percent take of the money and would assist with providing tents for the audiences, arrange for food vendors, etc.

Just one location, I am sure there are many others across the US -- I'm willing to pitch in and help in any way I can.

How about it? Anyone else want to help organize this also? Let us believe the old saying, if we build it they will come and even if the first year is a small one, it can't help but build up fame and grow from there.

Then there's the suggestion of San Francisco....Jay and I will phone and make our flight reservations ASAP if that comes through; we love that town!

How about it Bill, can we make this happen, do you think?

Keep a dream in the making

Maria Ibanez
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I personally feel a magic style convention or festival or get together would be a great idea. Any who knows me knows that I strive to place creativity into the magic Kelly and I perform and storytelling has become a big part of the many routines we do and create. I love telling stories with my magic and instilling in people a certain emotional repsonse from it. It makes the magic so much sronger.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
silver
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of silver
I know this is a little late but I was at the Storytelling Converence in Bad Heilbrunn/Germany for the 3rd time already and I really loved it!!! We are all really having a good time there and the stories are fantastic. I love it!

Yours Magically from Switzerland
Stefanie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I finally did find "der Stein der Dummen." Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Myrsolon
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Myrsolon
Personally, I really like Maria's suggestion. I'd be willing to do everything that a broke college student is capable of doing to support this idea and would definately make it to that event.

How would we go about putting something like this together here in the States?
puppeterry
View Profile
Regular user
Sanger, CA
114 Posts

Profile of puppeterry
I would like to see something like this happen in the US. As a member of NSN (National Storytelling Network), P of A (Puppeteers of America) and SAM...and as a children's librarian...this appeals to several of my fields of interest.
TV Mc Arthur
The Librician
Fresno (CA) County Public Library
"They don't get better.....just faster."
Roland
View Profile
New user
Arizona
37 Posts

Profile of Roland
I haven't attended but a friend that has, says Jeff McBride's "Magic and Meaning" conference is primarily a story telling gathering for magicians.

Roland
http://www.DanceOfIllusion.com
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 15:06, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
OK, Why can't we do this here?

Why not a United States "Storytelling Magic Conference"?

...Well, probably because only a dozen of us would want to attend?

Anyway, if there WERE interest in setting one up I'd help out....
the San Francisco area is a great place to visit and a plus to the subject matter.

What ya think???
Walt

I am planning to host a Theatrical Magic convention here in nashville in 2010. Several people have volunteered to help. If you'd like to be among them, give me a shout!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
[quote]On 2009-01-13 00:31, Roland wrote:
I haven't attended but a friend that has, says Jeff McBride's "Magic and Meaning" conference is primarily a story telling gathering for magicians.

Roland
http://www.DanceOfIllusion.com
[/quote)

I've attended Jeff McBride's Magic and Meaning conference which is held in late October. This truly is a wonderful gathering where folks can move forward with their magic and story telling. In addition to meeting many wonderful folks you can also participate in the Works in Progress Sessions and receive constructive feedback on your magic in a safe and supportive environment. You leave with a DVD of your piece and lots of great ideas on bringing your magic to the next level.

Check it out at http://www.magicalwisdom.com

I look forward to going again later this year.

jeff
Geoff Akins
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Geoff Akins
Other than McBride's Magic and Meaning conference has there ever been a U.S. gathering for magical storytelling? I know this is an old thread but I'd very much be interested in a gathering.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » A brief report about the Third Annual Storytelling Magicians' Conference. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL