The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Reactions To "Sudden Deck"? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magiclee
For those that have it and have performed it for a lay audience, what is the reaction you get?

magiclee
mentalism101
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
105 Posts

Profile of mentalism101
It's almost over too quick. The audience never gets time to examine the unfolded card case and then bang! there's suddenly a deck in it.

The immediate reaction is, 'What just happened?'

There is no conviction level (about the emptiness of the box) before the production.

Maybe Regal would've been better taking Kaufman's advice and publishing it in Genii rather than selling it...
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Try to extend your presentation and patter instead of just getting into the gritty of the trick.

You should use patter to make your presentation, no matter how small, seem like something really awesome...my Reset performance time is 10 mins, because of my patter and presentation, so it isn't over so quick - I sort of try to give time to let the audience 'savor' the effect.

Just try to crack a few jokes about the fact that you 'forgot the cards' or whatever, this will - subconciously AT LEAST - get the spectators to believe that the box really is empty, and then you can fold it up into the shape of the box and say, "Doesn't it look like it's full of cards like this?" and then you can produce the deck or whatever.

Try extending your performance, that's all.

I think this is a great effect!

All the best,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
On 2003-03-23 20:46, Logan wrote:
...my Reset performance time is 10 mins, because of my patter and presentation...

Wow, it must be a "showgirl, elephant production, lasers and explosions going off everywhere" routine to keep them in it for 10 minutes. Remember, too much presentation can ruin a trick.

Logan you might have to ask yourself, are they reacting? If there is a lot of magic going on, then you pull something long, they might just pretend to be amazed to get to the more entertaining stuff.

My advice on this routine would just be hand out a non-gaffed cut box then switch it for the gaffed box. Simple as that.

Lee
JustAnotherMagi
View Profile
New user
Oak Canyon
79 Posts

Profile of JustAnotherMagi
Great Reactions!!! Perfect Opener!!!
"I am the best magician ever..."
-The Conceited Part of My Mind
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I had a friend show me this the other day and I had trouble with the three-sided aspect of the box. After a bit of tinkering I came up with a version that did away with the third side and have shown this to a few people, Both magicians and non magicians and it plays very well.

Curiously, all the magicians that I have shown it to who saw Regal do it here a couple of weeks ago at his lecture don't see any difference between my version and Regal's, so I guess the third side of the box isn't as blaringly obvious as I thought it to be.

Overall, it's a good effect that plays very well and is a good surprising opener.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
mentalism101
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
105 Posts

Profile of mentalism101
I guess we come down to the question, "does surprise equal magic?"
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Quote:
On 2003-03-23 20:56, pyro_magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-03-23 20:46, Logan wrote:
...my Reset performance time is 10 mins, because of my patter and presentation...

Wow, it must be a Show girl, Elephant production, lasers and explosions going off everywhere routine to keep them in it for 10 minutes. Remeber, to much 'pres' can ruin a trick. Logan you might have to ask your-self, are the reacting? If their is a lot of magic going on then you pull something long they might just pretend to be amazed to get to the more entertaining stuff. My advice on this routine would just be hand out a non-gaffed cut box then switch it for the gaffed box. Simple as that.

Lee

Hehehhe, well, it's only 10 minutes because I'm cracking one or two jokes, and making a few noises as I press the 'button'.

I know long tricks can be quite tedious and the audience can get quite fed up, but the routine I do with Reset is one that builds up the suspense, thus keeping them at the edge of their seats.

Obviously, don't make Sudden Deck THAT long! Smile

And I like Lee's idea about the switching - it's more believable!

All the best,

Logan

P.S For my Reset presentation, I also have dancers prancing around as well as alot of smoke and a full orchestra Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
If you go straight ahead with this one as an opener without having some patter, then chances are that the audience won't get it as they will not assume it is an effect.

Do it as David does it, or with another presentation and that would be a lot better.

Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
mentalism101
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
105 Posts

Profile of mentalism101
Or do a different routine.

Steve Bedwell's 'Re-Boxed', for example. Not only does it have a far more visual impact, but both the case and deck can be examined at the end.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi mentalism,
if you really wish that the audience examines the card case, then switch it. The audience cannot examine an Invisible Deck, but we cannot say that it isn't a great effect and that audiences don't like it.

If I recall well, Reboxed also requires some handling in order to be able to give the case out for inspection. This is another great effect that I am considering buying soon. Yet in both cases (no pun intended Smile), I cannot see a reason for handing out the card case. These are both openers and you can continue with other effects. They will soon forget about not being able to examine the case long after the first effect (unless it is a boring one:P)

Those are my thoughts.

Ivan Smile
Yours,

Ivan
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
You can hand out the card case in Re-Boxed. It's not gimmicked.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
399 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
I received mine last week.

First I must say that David shipped very quick (3 days to the Netherlands!)and confirmed the shipping personally within
1 hour after payment.

It's a quality product, I think it'll last
many years when it is treated with care.

As for the reactions for lay people, They've
couldn't been better.

I know it's an old story but Presentation
does really the job here...

Mentalism101 wrote:
Quote:

Maybe Regal would've been better taking kaufman's advice and publishing it in Genii rather than selling it...

OK lets assume David had it published in
Genii: Try to make yourself this Gimmick with that quality and mesurements.
It's only worth the money for that. Smile

It's great magic.End of the story.

My two cents,

Take care,

Peter
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Watch the Regal demo. It sold me, and the quick patter story I think was very clear and the effect easy to understand. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I like the SHRINKING CARD BOX as an opener. Take the cards out of a BICYCLE card box, close the lid and in an instant, the box has shrunk to the size of a mini BICYCLE card box.....just great!
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
I just can't stand the people talking about how the box can't be examined? What kind of weak, low-down argument is this? "The BOX can't be examined?" Well, oh my gosh, isn't that just crazy.

Are you, "mentalism 101," the type of person that does a card trick then says, "and EVERYTHING can be examined," while you push them the cards? This has to be the most annoying thing magicians do. Plus it is pointless.

However you perform, whether it be parlour, close-up, stage, or whatever, all you do is throw the card box aside like Regal does. It's not too hard. It really bugs me that "SuddenDeck" isn't selling as much as it should be and is losing customers from sometimes people that don't even have one!

-Max

If you want to make the box examinable do a switch, and hand out a cut open one. Why even bother doing that? The only way I see that people have the need to examine it is if they are not using this as an opener. They are just doing it as a single, slimey trick. THEN the audience will want to examine it but why do that?

-Max
white hats rule.
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Sudden Deck is bad with a capital Terrible.

It is extremely obvious what is going on, not just to magicians but to real people as well.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:
On 2003-03-25 10:25, gtxby33 wrote:
If you want to make the box examinable do a switch, and hand out a cut open one. Why even bother doing that? The only way I see that people have the need to examine it is if they are not using this as an opener. They are just doing it as a single, slimey trick. THEN the audience will want to examine it but why do that?

-Max

That's just like I said. I cannot se the point for such fuss.

Adam V, if you do not have this effect, please do not jump to conclusions about being obvious to audiences and being bad. You haven't tried itso you can't say. I was fooled by the video three times and I feel privileged to have witnessed such a great illusion.

I already said this in another post and I will again. Did you ever do the Cross Cut force or even a Flustration Count. Don't they look soooo obvious. Yet the audince is fooled every time. Sudden Deck is one of those effects where you say to yourself "How am I ever going to get away with this?". But one will. And although I do not have this I can speak with certainty, because I am a magician and have been fooled 3 times with it.

Ivan

Let us not judge a book by it's cover. (Or maybe a card case Smile )
Yours,

Ivan
Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
399 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
I agree with the above.

I can recommend this "Opener" to any serious
worker out there. I also know they will appreciate it.

Great contribution to the world of magic, Dave! Smile

Later,

Peter
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Niva,

I re-read my post several times and still can't find any references to me not having the effect. I'm still looking for bit where I said I haven't tried it before but I'm not having much luck so far.

I also can't remember disparaging the cross cut force and flushtration count. Perhaps you were reading another board at the time?

Adam V
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Reactions To "Sudden Deck"? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL