The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Acting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
Hi,

I hypnotised someone on Thursday. It was excellent everything went good. Today, he told a friend that he was acting. I am sure he was not, but I don't know..

Do you have a special way to know if they are acting?

thanks

SM
WillBox
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of WillBox
There are certain ways to prove to someone (and to yourself) that they aren't acting. If you set up a post hypnotic response that is blocked (e.g. walking through a door that you have locked) the mind becomes very anxious and disturbed - not able to fulfill its goal. Having then unlocked the door, you can remind them of the experience of anxiety if need be.

Also, I once had a hypnotised person auto-write on a piece of paper and then place it in a location before they were suggested to forget. They then wondered if they were acting based on the parts they could remember. I aksed them to get the piece of paper, of course they couldn't, when I finally revealed it they could recognise their own writing and this was proof of hypnosis to them.

Bear in mind that even after hypnosis, the person is going to be operating a post-hypnotic command that was installed during childhood - to be in control etc. The "I was only acting" belief could actually just be a perfectly natural creative rationalisation for the hypnotic behaviour (which the conscious mind can't explain).

This then calls into question the definition of 'acting' which would become as complicated as defining 'hypnosis'. I distinguish between conscious acting (where I know I am, and am just being silly) and subconscious acting - where I am responding subconsciously albeit with the illusion of conscious control (e.g. it automatically conforming, responding to a strong stimuli, obeying authority etc).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As for the question let OTHERS tell you if they were acting. THAT is where the validation you are seeking comes from.

First off you are a child. No offense but lets be honest, your "peer" group really likes to play "gotcha" and bust people on things. You are going to have a tough road to walk to get past this.

EVEN IF HE WAS NOT ACTING, he may claim he was later or even MORE attention. We have no idea what the motivation for him claiming to be acting even may have been so there is no way to advise you how to stop him from doing it.

I have had people claim they were acting in a show, and as they do that, others tell them "no way you were OUT". It is more about the perception you leave in the heads of the AUDIENCE, than what is done with the volunteer.

Granted this is FAR easier to acomplish on stage. This is why the entire "impromptu" hypnosis thing is sort of silly anyhow.

Was he acting? No way to really figure it out in truth without LOTS of machines. EVEN IF HE WAS NOT and claimed he was, there is no way to sell it to others that does not look like you are making excuses for failure.

Your "presentation" needs to be strengthened. Then OTHERS will defend you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
I don't really find it rewarding or satisfying to perform a hypnosis show. For some reason hypnosis doesn't float my boat.

I'll stick to thought reading!
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You are all missing a very obvious point. Like the psychic exists verses doesn't exist argument you won't change anyone's mind.

What you choose to believe creates "your reality".

As for acting or not it is common for someone who has been on stage to try and rationalize what has happened so acting seems to be the only explanation. Couple of months ago I hypnotised someone at a dinner party. I had them doing all sorts of things for a couple of hours. Now after this they said they didn't believe they were hypnotised. Until he was shown some of the things he had done recorded on the phones of his friends. He couldn't believe it or remember it.

Some people just have a bigger need to rationalize events since this is the part of their thinking that's most dominant. Therefore they chose the belief systems that support this pat of their thinking process. There is no point agruing with them. They see things differently and no amount of arguing on either side will change anything.

Now if you want my belief. I believe just about everything we do we moves us from one trance to another. Infact like fish lives in water we live constantly in trance. Participating on a forum like this is trance inducing. We create the people we interact with, their voices the tonality their facial expressions and often "argue" or debate with them long after signing off.

So you could say stage is just another type of trance. which means its nothing special. Therefore if someone says there is no hypnosis. In a way they are correct. It is not separate from every day "trance" If they say there is they are also correct.

The problem is a a problem of semantics.
JasonLinett
View Profile
Loyal user
Alexandria, VA
202 Posts

Profile of JasonLinett
Quote:
On 2008-05-21 18:10, PaulPacific wrote:
I don't really find it rewarding or satisfying to perform a hypnosis show. For some reason hypnosis doesn't float my boat.

I'll stick to thought reading!

Ummmm... no offense, but why are you wasting your time on this forum, then?
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Non taken. I don't ever feel I'm wasting my time regardless of what I'm reading. Someone asked me a question and I simply answered it.
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2008-05-21 18:28, mindpunisher wrote:
You are all missing a very obvious point. Like the psychic exists verses doesn't exist argument you won't change anyone's mind.

Actually, that's how all philosphical argument begins. The facts pertaining to argument A versus the ones linked to B, hopefully with both combatants entering the arena with an open mind.... or it simply cannot work.
Many times I personally have changed my mind based on someone else's argument being better than mine. That's how we manage to live in a social environment.

Quote:
What you choose to believe creates "your reality".

I'm beginning to yawn round about now. C'mon, you can do better than this.

Quote:
Some people just have a bigger need to rationalize events since this is the part of their thinking that's most dominant. Therefore they chose the belief systems that support this pat of their thinking process. There is no point agruing with them. They see things differently and no amount of arguing on either side will change anything.

Not being funny, but it does sound like you're explaining who YOU are and what you're like in argument mode.

Quote:
Now if you want my belief. I believe just about everything we do we moves us from one trance to another. Infact like fish lives in water we live constantly in trance. Participating on a forum like this is trance inducing. We create the people we interact with, their voices the tonality their facial expressions and often "argue" or debate with them long after signing off.
So you could say stage is just another type of trance. which means its nothing special. Therefore if someone says there is no hypnosis. In a way they are correct. It is not separate from every day "trance" If they say there is they are also correct.
The problem is a a problem of semantics.

I don't think it's merely a problem of semantics, but yes, I actually like your argument. It's given me something to think about. Thanks.
It is and indeed has been a strong belief for many years now that everything in life is constructed. This I think is both a disturbing yet fascinating thought.

Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
If one claims they are acting, the proper question to ask in response to that is - why were they acting? Your answer should be is because that person was hypnotized. They behaved in this manner because YOU wanted them to. YOU enabled them. All people when hypnotized are acting. They imagine they see things, the pretend they are celebrities, they travel to far away places. They aren't realy doing any of these things are they? Isn't that what actors do? So yes! Of course they were acting.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
BTW Paul has silly feet. But those toes do an amazing double lift.
Katherine Anne
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Katherine Anne
Quote:
On 2008-05-22 10:56, RSD wrote:
If one claims they are acting, the proper question to ask in response to that is - why were they acting? Your answer should be is because that person was hypnotized. They behaved in this manner because YOU wanted them to. YOU enabled them. All people when hypnotized are acting. They imagine they see things, the pretend they are celebrities, they travel to far away places. They aren't realy doing any of these things are they? Isn't that what actors do? So yes! Of course they were acting.

Well put!

Exactly what I was going to say.

I also agree with what was said about making your performance stronger and others will defend you....after one of my shows a guy was saying that he "didn't know if he was really hypnotized" and his friends were telling him that he was out without a doubt. (heh! A ryme!) Anyhoo....

I completely agree with Doyle...have your performance speak for itself. And if that's not good enough, do some post hypno or even waking to prove that they were truly hypnotized.

Just get out there and do it. Smile

KA
hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
Abreactions, Physical actions without concious thought are a good place to start I have done trance work where I have had someone dialate their pupils and sweat on command these things that are not concious normally can be a powerful indicator of depth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Acting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL