The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Movement (Entity's Open Prediction) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 10:18, Picard wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 10:08, Slydini62 wrote:The Second Best Open Prediction is my OWN version. It is available to purchase by PDF but on an limited basis. PM me if interested.

Can you tell us a little bit more about your version?
Is it 100% impromptu, normal deck?
Does spectator deal cards himself?
Does it meet ALL of the conditions set by Stewart James?
etc., etc.
Thanks

Lots of suggestions and recommendations have been made. Like the above one most pose more questions than they answer. No offense intended but the framework was given by Entity earlier on. If any poster knows an effect then they can use that framework to
help other readers. Here is the framework again. I have sub-divided it to help (I hope):
1)A borrowed pack of cards is used.
2)The performer never touches the cards.
3)He writes down the name of a playing card, say, the 4 of Spades, and shows it to everyone (hence the name, Open Prediction).
4)The participant shuffles the cards, then begins to deal cards one at a time face up onto the table.
5)Everyone watches to see if the 4 of Spades turns up. The participant continues to deal through until they feel the urge to stop. When they stop, they deal the next card face down, unseen, to one side.
6)Then they continue dealing through the remainder of the pack face up.
7)Finally all of the cards have been dealt and the 4 of Spades didn't show up. The participant turns the card that they dealt face down over, and it is the 4 of Spades, the card predicted at the beginning.

The above is far from perfect. But it may be of some help. Some conditions are more important than others. Here goes

Karl Fulves More Self Working Card Effects

1),2),3) Excellent 100%
4) The spec will think it is so
5),6),7). The production of the card is different and is not as strong as the one above. I have used this because it it so simple (and cheap LOL)
Works for lay people only. Magicians will think that you have cracked up
:)
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
I have sent a PM to Slydini62 asking the same questions. This thread is not about ANY Open Prediction effect. The only ones that are of interest is just like teejay stated, ones with those conditions. If the performer has to touch the cards at any time, then it is not even in the same realm of Open Prediction effects.

I love the LA Open, but it is not close to what this is about. To me the LA Open is an entirely different effect. Yes it is an "Open Prediction", but the magician handling the cards through the entire effect changes it.

Yes, I am a snob when it comes to the "Open Prediction" effect. I even bought Ibidem #3 that had 25 plus solutions to the open prediction from Stewart James. None were of interest to me. Something about the magician handling the cards through the effect changes it for me.

Just my opinion.

Aaron
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Oyama: You should mention that in Ibidem #3 Stewart spoke of his ultimate version, 51 Faces North, but didn't reveal the method. In that version he doesn't touch the cards. He gives lots of interesting and creative ideas for Open Prediction methods, which are of definite use to those wishing to devise their own methods.

- entity
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
I agree with you entity. I guess I am just spoiled with the two versions that you came up with. I guess I was thinking their would be more "hands off" ideas in Ibidem #3.

Aaron
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Slydini BINGO Smile
The Game
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
180 Posts

Profile of The Game
I am not trying to fish for the method or something, but I just wanted to know if there is any kind of dual reality or some double talk involved. Is it allowed according to the problem's rules?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
There are no "rules" per se.

Stewart James set out the conditions under which his version, 51 Faces North could be performed. I posted those conditions earlier in this thread.

Condition number 9 states: "No alternative meanings or effects." I suppose that this would rule out dual reality and double talk, if you want to adhere to Stewart's conditions.

- entity
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi All
Entity gave two lists of conditions for this effect. Unfortunately, in my post above,
I used the SHORTER one.Apologies to Entity and other readers.
Here is the fuller version AND with Entity's numbers:-

Quote:
On 2008-05-23 09:43, entity wrote:
What I described earlier was the ideal, classic effect of The Open Prediction, as that was what was asked for. It was a challenge first put forward by Paul Curry, the inventor of OUT OF THIS WORLD. MANY people have their own versions of The Open Prediction, including Derren Brown.

The routine that I came up with matches my earlier description above exactly, and also meets all of Stewart James' conditions for his own ultimate version, 51 Faces North. Stewart was a friend, and his thinking inspired me to create several of my own versions of The Open Prediction. The one I've spoken of here is my favorite version. I call it: A Dianoetic Rage.

While these conditions make no real difference to most audiences, it's an interesting exercise to create an effect that stays within these strict guidelines.

His conditions were as follows:

Conditions For Stewart James’s 51 Faces North

1. Borrowed cards may be used.

2. The deck is ordinary, and might even have cards missing. You don't have to know which cards, or how many are missing. You only have to be sure that the card you predict is there.

3. You do not need privacy with the cards to set something.

4. The deck is never out of sight for a moment.

5. No card or cards are stolen from or added to the deck.

6. Borrowed writing materials may be used.

7. It is described as a prediction at the time of writing. The prediction is the name of a card. It is known to all before the first card is dealt.

8. Strictly impromptu. No set-up, stooges or special tools necessary.

9. No alternative meanings or effect.

10. Nothing but the borrowed articles used.

11. When the spectator starts dealing, the performer does not know where the predicted card is. It would not help to know with this method. Nor does the performer know the location in the pack of any other card.

12. The performer never knows when the spectator will leave a card face down until after they have done so.

13. The spectator deals straight through from top to face, the only variation is when he leaves a card face down.

14. It is not a once-in-a-while trick. If the instructions are followed, it cannot fail.

15. The cards are never handled by the performer from first to last, at any time before, during or after the trick.

16. The spectator himself checks that the face down card is the predicted one.

17. The method could be used by someone for criminal purposes.

18. It is not a well-known method for use with cards. It could be used for other than cards.

- entity
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
I would love to see entity's 2 alternate takes on the open prediction plot, along with the other included material.
Hopefully you can get a page up with details etc as after 'a card merely thought of' I am looking forward to seeing other material you have to offer.

I do 2 different 'open predictions', one uses a gimmick but is completely hands off and can be done with a borrowed deck... this one looks as clean as the one set out by Stewart James, but isn't as something is needed other than the deck.
The other is completely impromptu and hands-off... though the 'open prediction' is probably the weakest of the things I use the principle to achieve.

entity's has really got me thinking as to what else can be done as it appears he's found a way to have an effect that keeps within all those points listed by Stewart James.

Very impressive to us as performers.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
The most comprehensive single source on the Open Prediction (which also contains one of the published versions of entity's brilliant work on the effect) is both "Stewart James in Print", and "The James File".
(entity's take is in "The James File" if you want to get one volume at a time).

There's dozens and dozens of versions of Open Prediction, from most of your favorite (well known) magicians.

I've heard there isn't a whole lot of these sets of books left at Hermetic Press, and there's serious doubt as to whether they'll ever be reprinted, because of the books size, cost, and relatively limited market.

I've said it here before, there's material in these books that quite honestly may have NEVER been performed in public. Stewart was SO prolific, and so inventive, that these Hermetic volumes take months and months to read, and would likely take a lifetime to actually perform and perfect each of Stewart's effects contained within.

I mentioned in another post recently that I will occasionally pick a favorite James effect that I've noted while reading these books, prepare the items required to perform it, practice it for a while, and then take it to a magi gathering where not only has the magi present never seen the effect before, but 9 times out of 10 it totally baffles all the magi viewing.

Stewart is one of my magic idols.
He had a tough life, but it was the magic that made it bearable for him.........and all of that magic output (well, except "51 Faces North") is in these volumes. INCLUDING the worlds greatest concentration in print of the best offerings of the Open Prediction effect.

Much like Berglas's big book which supposedly contains tips to the key of his ACAAN effect, I'm not sure that the seeds of "51 Faces North" aren't contained within these two James volumes. If you read them carefully, and read them enough times, you begin to see what the version that Stewart took to the grave with him might have looked like.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Most of the readers here have been drawn by Entity's name or 'Open Prediction'.
Unfortunately, Entity does not seem to have any plan to release his versions?
So what are we left with? Speaking for myself, very little. I came to this thread
because Entity's book ACMTO made me into an expert in a mind blowing effect lol
I was hoping to get the same in the Open Prediction. We have had couple of pricey items recommended, about which nobody will say much. I understand this because the list of SJ's conditions does seem unworkable. Many excellent versions couldn't meet half the conditions.
This is because the list of conditions are a challenge to MASTER MAGICIANS!
The solutions are meant to fool other magicians. Because the thread has bogged down
(for me), so I must give myself a reality check:
I am not a Master Magicians. I do not work for other magicians. So all I need is a version that will fool lay people. This means that most of the conditions are now redundant for me. For me, a revised set would be:
1. Borrowed cards may be used.
2. The deck is ordinary, and might even have cards missing. You don't have to know which cards, or how many are missing. You only have to be sure that the card you predict is there.
3. You do not need privacy with the cards to set something up.
4. The deck is never out of sight for a moment.
5. Strictly impromptu. No set-up, stooges or special tools necessary.
6. The spectator deals
7. It is not a once-in-a-while trick. If the instructions are followed, it cannot fail.
8. The cards are SEEMINGLY never handled by the performer from first to last, at any time during or after the trick.
9. The spectator himself checks that the face down card is the predicted one.

IMVHO these conditions would make a baffling effect for lay people. Some of these conditions could be unnecessary as well because of the nature of the effect.
My suggestion (Karl Fulves) meets them and I have fooled lay people with it.
Does anybody know of any other versions of OP that would fool lay people. It must meet or seem to meet some of above conditions. I apologise for hijacking the main thrust of the thread but I'm sure a lot of readers would like to hear of some practical, working versions of this mind blowing effect?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Teejay:

2 of my versions have been published, but I believe are no longer available.

Within a week or so, I'll be putting an ad up here for an e-book of card effects. Many of these are effects that I've previously published, but that are either out of print, or not easily available. Included in the e-book will be two versions of The Open Prediction.

As you'll see if you buy the e-book, these versions of the Open Prediction aren't only for "experts" or elite performers. Anyone can do these routines. That's sort of the point of this thread, as I see it. If you think creatively, there are many ways to approach the Open Prediction. While it's certainly not necessary to meet all of Stewart James' conditions in order to mystify and entertain an audience, it's an interesting exercise to try to meet Stewart's guidelines. You don't need to be a Master Magician to come up with your own version.

- entity
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 15:12, Elcio wrote:
It's a open prediction very straight.

Deck of cards. You make the prediction... deal cards face up and spec stay stop whenever he/she wants. the card stopped or he can change mind for the next one... goes face down on top of the pack. Continue to deal the rest of the cards face up, leaving the face down card aside. You have show all cards. Just take out the face down card that was always in full view and turn over. It's the prediction 100% - no duplicates - with any deck even borrowed one.

You can find in Joshua Jay - Talk about tricks dvd's

Cheers

I enjoyed this version too, certainly one of the highlights of Josh's DVD which for anyone interested is a great DVD. I had the pleasure of watching Josh lecture a month ago and he was superb..

I think it's fair to say that Entity's version is different, the cards are borrowed which makes it astonishing.

I have a card at any number which a very rarely present, it is as clean as you could imagine, borrowed deck, very hands off and both any card can be named and any number.
On my original 4 DVD's I had a hidden performance only of one version, I have three versions each has it's strengths.

Enitity's Open Prediction sounds great and better that it is left a mystery, after all how often do we with all the secrets we know ever experience that wonder..

M.S.
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
ThePreeningNinny
View Profile
New user
Under the Bed
84 Posts

Profile of ThePreeningNinny
I think it must be stressed that Stewart James was very liberal with his conditions for effects, they were sometimes worded very ambiguously to throw fellow magicians off the scent. I'm sure that the effect is not as straightforward as it first appears. His conditions do not state anything about how the effect is played, the spectator could be asked to think of a number and deal the card aside on that number etc, this compromises the original presentation.

I have thought about this for a couple of weeks now and have come up with a few solutions that fit all of James' conditions, however, none are as straightforward as the spectator dealing through the cards and on a total whim puts a card to the side which turns out to be the prediction. If this is what people are trying to achieve in the constraints of the conditions I think they are climbing a slippery slope, but that's just me.

I also came up with a version where the spectator can think of a number, then thinks of a card in the deck, deals through putting the card at their number aside face down, it turns out to be the thought of card - performer never touches the deck. I am no master magician but you can create some interesting ideas if you think laterally and hard enough.

It's going to be a while before I can come up with a version of the Open Prediction I am completely happy with I think. But at least having a guideline of conditions and ideals helps you to step up to the mark a bit more, and even if you never get there, you can create some other related effect that is rather good in its own right. So at least it's got us thinking?
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-06-15 09:02, entity wrote:
Teejay:
If you think creatively, there are many ways to approach the Open Prediction. While it's certainly not necessary to meet all of Stewart James' conditions in order to mystify and entertain an audience, it's an interesting exercise to try to meet Stewart's guidelines. You don't need to be a Master Magician to come up with your own version.
- entity

LOL
Hi Entity
YOU don't NEED to be a Master Magician, you are already one. I had to really sweat before I realized that the conditions are what you describe. An exercise in the discipline of magic. I have had unbelievable, tremendous fun researching and thinking about this effect. I started thinking about the parts of Fulves version of OP that didn't meet the conditions. I got a great buzz when I saw ways around some of the blocks and meet some of SJ's conditions. I now fully understand the excitement of this type interesting exercise. lol
Great news about your upcoming ebook
ipe
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On 2008-06-15 09:02, entity wrote:
Within a week or so, I'll be putting an ad up here for an e-book of card effects. Many of these are effects that I've previously published, but that are either out of print, or not easily available. Included in the e-book will be two versions of The Open Prediction.

I'm looking forward to read your ebook. Thanks Smile
What would a real mindreader do?
ipe
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On 2008-06-15 13:05, ThePreeningNinny wrote:
I also came up with a version where the spectator can think of a number, then thinks of a card in the deck, deals through putting the card at their number aside face down, it turns out to be the thought of card - performer never touches the deck.

This sounds also more impossible. Great!
What would a real mindreader do?
ThePreeningNinny
View Profile
New user
Under the Bed
84 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-06-15 13:05, ThePreeningNinny wrote:
I also came up with a version where the spectator can think of a number, then thinks of a card in the deck, deals through putting the card at their number aside face down, it turns out to be the thought of card - performer never touches the deck.

This sounds also more impossible. Great!
[/quote]

Not impossible, just more protracted. Like I said, never takes the descriptions James gave as the literal fact!
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I'm very pleased to read that this discussion has compelled people to think more, to be creative and to flex their imaginations in order to work on The Open Prediction problem.

Just a note in response to P.Ninny's admonitions not to take the descriptions too literally... Take this exactly as I say it: My version of The Open Prediction called A Dianoetic Rage plays EXACTLY as the problem set out by Curry. Meeting all of Stewart's conditions, the participant stops freely at a point of their choosing (or whim, if you prefer), leaving one card aside face down. It is the predicted card. There is no alternate meaning or instruction.

My other, previously published versions of the Open Prediction are a little less straightforward, but the primary consideration is the effect to the audience. Stewart's conditions might be looked at as an ideal. The closer one can come to meeting an ideal while achieving the desired effect, the more satisfying the end to the performer, in my opinion.

- entity
ThePreeningNinny
View Profile
New user
Under the Bed
84 Posts

Quote:
Just a note in response to P.Ninny's admonitions not to take the descriptions too literally... Take this exactly as I say it: My version of The Open Prediction called A Dianoetic Rage plays EXACTLY as the problem set out by Curry.

If that's true then you're a better man than I.

I'll probably need a lot longer to think of the problem to come up with a satisfying solution, and that's no guarantee, it is a particuarly hard problem I think. I had put off buying the James file for a long time because of the expense, I am a poor student, but recently got it and saw that your solution as well as a few others in there used the same method I had come up with for one of mine, a method dating back to Annemann I think - but not a full proof method - breaking one of James' conditions. Is the other method you've referred to being printed the one in an issue of Antinomy? If it is, it is a very Jamesian solution, and as I said - more protracted.

I think the most difficult thing with this effect is exactly the spectator allowed to deal a card aside on a 'whim'. My initial thoughts were James used some kind of mathematical force or clock trick variation. But discounting these as viable solutions allows you to move on to other ideas and maybe come up with something interesting, while indeed not being a solutions to the problem. The only trouble is this makes the effect about a thousand times more difficult to achieve. It is pretty interesting that people like Marlo and many others had sat at the problem for many years yet I've never seen a clean and straightforward handling by any of them! Anybody who can achieve that while maintaining James' conditions has some of my respect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Movement (Entity's Open Prediction) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL