The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Impossible Conversion Therm to Celsius (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I am told there is a way to convert a Therm to Celsius, but is seems like an impossibility.

Anyone smarter than me? Actually everyone is so I am banking that someone might know.

Thanks!
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
We aren't all smarter than you, I don't think I even know what a therm is. Much less be able to convert it. Is that a thermal unit or something. Like a BTU?

Now you made me go look. Found this;

1 Btu = 0.555 555 590 66 celsius heat unit

And this;

1 Btu [thermochemical] = 0.555 184 046 34 celsius heat unit
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
It's been a LOOOONNNGGGG time since I've looked at this stuff, but a therm is a unit of heat which is equal to 100,000 BTU, where Celsius is a unit of temperature. Unless you have some more information, there is no way to associate the two.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
See that is where I get lost Vandy, from what I read 1 therm = 100,000 BTU.

Here is what I know roughly 15 therm should run between 135-161 degrees celsius. I just need to figure out how to get to that point.

Your search was a heck of a lot more fruitful than mine was, thanks Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
What are you trying to do?

1 Therm =100,000 BTU
1 BTU = 1055 Joules

It takes 4186 J to raise 1kg of water 1 degree Celsius. The number of joules required to raise other materials' temperatures depends on the composition of the material. It only takes 386 J to raise copper by 1 degree C.

The short answer to your question is "No". However, if you have a particular context in mind, then maybe your question can be rephrased in a helpful way.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Hey Clinton thanks for jumping in I was posting as you were.

My parent company apperantly has a "conversion scale" for it. However being part of their subsidiary I do not have access.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Let's see if I can explain, my parent company runs gas dryers for our output. Dryers should range in temp from 131-165 degrees C anything less and the output does not properly dry.

They do not record the temp at all but there is a min by min gas consumption log in Therms by feet per min.

I am told there is a way to roughly convert but everything I have tried is way off.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
In that case, I can't help you. I doubt that anyone could without knowing more about the dryers (but don't quote me on that). You are most likely going to need the internal conversion information.

If I understand you correctly, you wish to use the energy rating of the gas to predict the heat generated and maintained by the dryer. I can't imagine that being a straightforward calculation by any standards.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Thanks, at least I now know there is no mathmatical way to do it. I'm guessing it was an internal averaging done by the company.

Someone probabaly monitored the temps and then compared the temp to the therms, I'm glad I was not the person to do that, it would have taken a long time!

You all are the best Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
It sounds as though they're assuming a specific heat for the medium you're heating. Off hand, I'd say that if you threw in the number of joules required to heat the volume of air in the dryer 1 degree C you'd have all you need to make the computation.

Alas, I do not know what that number is.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2008-05-22 17:32, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
What are you trying to do?

1 Therm =100,000 BTU
1 BTU = 1055 Joules

It takes 4186 J to raise 1kg of water 1 degree Celsius. The number of joules required to raise other materials' temperatures depends on the composition of the material. It only takes 386 J to raise copper by 1 degree C.

Whenever I think of joules I recall the EFP warheads I used to design: we'd measure the energy on-target in megajoules. For example, one warhead I designed produced 55 15-gram penetrators moving at an average speed of about 2.5 km/sec; that works out to just over 5 megajoules hitting the target.

That's enough energy to dry - well - an aweful lot of clothes.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
In the calculation, one would have to know the mass of the load, the initial humidity, and the ambient temperature of the dryer among other things. Therms are a measure of heat content or potential energy a substance has while temperature is the measure of average molecular activity, which is kinetic energy. One can be converted to the other, but many variables in this instance need to be addressed.

That being said, I would imagine that your company is talking about a conversion that is used to calibrate or determine whether or not a dryer is meeting its particular specifications with the variables assumed to be at a certain level.
Coram Deo
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Quote:
an aweful lot of clothes

I was waiting for somone to bring that up Smile thanks for not letting me down.

Also thanks for the added info, it helps a mathmatical nimcompoop like me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Impossible Conversion Therm to Celsius (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL