The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Should a mentalist know sleight of hand? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
wallmott
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of wallmott
Hello everyone.

I meet up with some magicians where I live and the subject sleight of hand came up and the asked me to show them some of my tricks.

As a mentalist, I can't do any advanced sleight of hand because I never felt that I needed to know any so I told them and their answer was, "Oh yeah, Mentalists. that's where people go when they found out how hard sleight of hand is and want something more easy"

This might be a very silly topic, I'm just wondering whats your thoughts on this? Should a mentalist know sleight of hand?
ipe
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On 2008-05-23 10:48, wallmott wrote:
As a mentalist, I can't do any advanced sleight of hand because I never felt that I needed to know any

If you don't need them, don't use them. Smile
What would a real mindreader do?
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
To be a great mentalist -- you must also be a great magician.

IMHO...

Derren's devil's picturebook is an example...
xxx
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Ringo
Should is a big word. What's important is that you know what you want to achieve for yourself.
As far as I'm concerned, I used to think that "sleights", "mentalism" and "bizarre magic" were things from different worlds. That was, until I met Christian Chelman, who provided some off the cuff, eye-opening moments.
But then again, "should" is a big word. I never liked it, but perhaps I should.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It depends on what you do. But, not learning at least the basics of card, coin, and billet handling will limit the methodology available to you. But, I will add that moves cannot be done sloppily.

Tony
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
Should e mentalist know sleight of hand?

Just sleight of mind.
The Café's Jerome Finley performed an effect for me over the phone combining several principles, where he not only told me what my sign was, but the day on which I was born. No math at all.
A great cold reader can tell you thinks about yourself they seeming have no way of knowing. Nothing is stronger in mentalism.

All that being said, yes, basic sleights are very good to know as a means to and end. But, as Ted K. demonstrates in his "no-prop" nightclub act, not only don't you need sleights; you don't even need props. But basic sleights in cards like a DL and Elmsley count can only help.
Card and coin flourishes, however, are pointless, and indeed, may work against you, as you'll be tempted to employ them, but all they do is make you look like a slick magician, not a mindreader.
wallmott
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of wallmott
Yes I know the basics but I never felt the need to have say, a perfect pass.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I would not say should know, but I will say that having a mastery over certain sleights can be very benefical. There are a number of effects that I do, that have allowed me to fine tune them to my liking & performance venue due to me be able to change them due to my sleight of hand, sleeving & even toppit abilities.
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
Heck yes, I say.

That answer is for me, though. Just about every single time I perform, I'll do some sort of sleight of hand effect. Not a mentalism effect, but a straight up magic effect. I do this to draw a very visible line between what magicians do and what I do. But I do this without knocking anything. I love sleight of hand magic, which is why I weaved it into my routines.

If you or any other person does not care to learn sleight of hand, don't learn it. It may limit you somewhat, but it may also make you more creative as well, making you think about a different methodology or presentation for an effect you want to perform.

I, however, would suggest picking up a basic book on sleights to occasionally practice an item from. Or not.

It's all up to you, just like most things in your life.

/paul.f
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Knowledge is power and working through Bobo, Erdnase, and Tarbell will pay dividends when developing your own effects.

Having said that ...

Quote:
As a mentalist, I can't do any advanced sleight of hand because I never felt that I needed to know any so I told them and their answer was, "Oh yeah, Mentalists. that's where people go when they found out how hard sleight of hand is and want something more easy"

If one of these guys can secretly write my full name with a NW in front of 500 people, I'll go back to learning a perfect hot shot cut. Smile
“You are what you pretend to be.”
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Whatever gives you the advantage or skill set to do the things you wish to achieve - then learn it...

I'm glad malchat mentioned a hot shot cut - as that's what I use to reveal the name of the dead person from my living and dead test...

only kidding...

however, that being a case in point, there's a lot to learn from Lennart Green that can be applied to mentalism...

when I read up on some of my favourite mentalists - they are all good card workers too...John Riggs, Derren Brown, Canasta, Berglas, Horwitz...

good enough for them, good enough for me...

how far you go though, is your own personal little journey...
I've asked to be banned
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Well I can do a perfect Hot Shot cut but resist the temptation to display it in public.

Some people do better with sleight-of-hand and other do better with setups and props. That's just the way it is. I like Henry Hay's classifications: "Head Magic" & "Hand Magic". Knowlege of both is helpful.

For me I come from a heavy sleight-of-hand background. So I approach things from that angle. I find I trip up more when I am using a prop that does the work. But that is just me.

In the long run sleight-of-hand can step in when other methods fail. When a subtlty fails, or psychology doesn't do as you wish sleights can save the day. Best approach is a combination. And the combinations open many possibilities you didn't have before. More directions you can move things.

So I would suggest a study of sleight-of-hand. The principles will carry across and help you in other areas. The study and theory of angles and misdirection for instance do more than just make certain sleights effective. They teach you about following and controlling an audiences attention.

There is a lot more but that should get the idea across.

I would suggest picking up "The Amatuer Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay. Pay particular attentions to the first two chapters which have much to offer. Then see his approach to sleights. He covers the basics in many areas and shows how you can combine them with "Head Magic" for added effect. I prefer the older editions without James Randi's name on the cover. Just helps set the mood better when opening it up.

Hope that helps.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Billet handling.

NW

PW

Peeks.

etc.

C'mon the answer is likely yes.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
More you learn more you improve your performance...

Sleight of hand, Sleight of mouth, Dancing (gives posture and sense of timmings and it's good for your mind&body), etc etc and go outside and perform a lot to get to know audience reactions, eye contact, audience patterns...
You need to practice with your hands to feel confortable with props... to achieve a natural look (mentalist is a normal guy that has the "abilities/intuiton" to know things in advance) so the practice is already sleight of hand...

Hope it makes sense and it helps,

Cheers
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Does a Mentalist have to know/learn SOH? No, I don't believe you do.

J
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Every tool you know is beneficial. The great thing about sleight of hand for mentalism is that spectators are not trying to burn your hands during execution thereby making it easier to execute. The important thing to realize,however, is the sleights must be totally hidden. If something even looks like a sleight it will give spectators a hint as to the method and detract from the overall effect. The last thing you want to look like is a flourishy sleight of hand artist.

As Dai Vernon once said when refering to magic is "the art is in hiding the art". I think this is even more important in mentalism.

Steve
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Essential sleights for the psychic entertainer - by mr riggs is a very good grounding of lots of useful things to know...
I've asked to be banned
R Gould
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of R Gould
As some of us are intimating, sleight of hand is too broad a term to address the question.

If by sleight of hand you mean "a finger palm", then yes, that would have an obvious application for a billet switch.

If you mean a waterfall shuffle / classic pass / fizbin drop, then no, that is unlikely to help with the effective performance of mentalism.

Would it hurt? No. But then we might as well be asking, "Should mentalists know how to crochet?" Both advanced slights and the ability to crochet a scarf have about as much application to mentalism.

And to Jay Are, remember that Derren recorded the Devil's Picturebook DVDs because he specifically did not intend to perform that card magic ever again. He simply wanted to do the DVDs before he forgot the routines forever.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Devil's Picturebook DVDs?
Wow, mine is on VHS tape. And I had to write to Derren in order to buy it.
R Gould
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of R Gould
Tony,

Cool!

R Gould
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Should a mentalist know sleight of hand? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL