The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Help with Slydini Scissors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
Greetings everyone. I purchased a lot of old magic from a deceased magician but not much came with instructions. I do know that it contained a pair of Slydini scissors but of course NO INSTRUCTIONS.

Could someone please PM me privately with some sort of instructions.
They are the all-steel ones with the little extra something on the back.

Thanks
Shaun
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Shaun
You have perked my interest. What do they look like?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Hmmm...Double-checked my Slydini book collection and find no mention of a gaffed scissors. If there are no instructions, how do you know they are Slydini Scissors?

Just curious!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
This is a Slydini scissors. The welded gimmick has been broken off of my set. Is this what you have??

Click here to view attached image.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The added whatsit is to hold a short loop of rope. Hold rope and scisssors in same hand. Pull up the loop off the scissors, take scissors away and cut loop.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-05-23 19:23, Pete Biro wrote:
The added whatsit is to hold a short loop of rope. Hold rope and scisssors in same hand. Pull up the loop off the scissors, take scissors away and cut loop.

That's it Pete, and you can't see the whatsit and the steal is invisible. It makes for an impossible cut and restored of the exact center of the rope.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
Magicains...
Yes that is exactly what they look like. I have a few questions. First off.. How do you put a piece of rope into the sleeve? It has a rather small opening, so how would a loop of rope go into it?

Second... Is the peice of rope folded and put into one end of the sleeve or is one end put into each END of the sleeve??

I really don't remember where I saw them advertised and it has been a few years since I have seen a set (my teacher, Walter Cummings, had a set) BUT I do know they ARE Slydini scissors.
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You take a small piece of rope that you would be comfortable cutting. Fold that into the loop and stick the cut ends into the gaff.
The loop should align with the shank of the scissors. And, or course it is away from the audience. Merely grasp the center of the rope, slide the loop into view and cut. Then cut again to allow all pieces to fall. Retain the grip on the rope and then reveal the restore.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Pete and others (whose experience far exceeds my own),

I give Tony a lot of credit for his contributions to our art...but this sounds like an WHOLE LOT of work for a cut and restored routine. From the descriptions I'm reading, does the end really justify the means on this one? Just curious having never seen this in action....?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian's "loops" is much better.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
In the case of the Slydini scissors, I have a friend who has done it for years. Its just so fast. You can do a blitz of c&r's. So, he does an eric Lewis, then the Slydini and the deal is, there is no setup. Just pick up the scissors and snip, then fake snip the pieces and the rope is done.
He is an emcee and it just works well. But, his c&r's are throw-away moves and patter is fast to fill time. There are, of course, more subtantive c&r's.
And thanks, Al, my "Loops" are a bit different. If I didn't have my own stuff, I would do the Slydini effect.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I'd love to see this effect in action. Does a video clip exist of someone doing it?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Help with Slydini Scissors (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL