The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Got a Light-Matt Wayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Matt was demonstrating his upcoming effect, "Got a Light," at the Harrisburg MayDay convention yesterday. It's a solid monte-based effect that uses LEDs instead of cards; the plot follows along the same line, with three LEDs placed under three shot glasses, and the spectator being challenged to find the green LED instead of the red ones.

This trick has a great deal of potential, and your challenge will be to make it your own, with your own presentation. What Matt does may not work for everyone; if anything, I found it to be almost *too* fair to the spectator...so much so that a savvy audience member could figure out what's happening.

An in-the-hands handling (keeping in mind that you're dealing with electronics) might work for you, or simply not presenting your audience with as many visual cues. Either way, Matt's thought this one through quite a bit, and it's obvious that he's produced a well-designed trick that brings the monte plot into the present day.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
247 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
Sounds similar to Juan Mayorals effect that he came out with many years ago. I think it was called " Telepathic LED'S ". Hank Lee might still sell them.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Hello Steve!

I'm glad that you enjoyed the demonstration yesterday! It was a fun time at the convention. Got A Light is indeed my upcoming DVD/trick release to the community. I received a call this morning saying there's already 'buzz' here on the Café about it-- and thought to come and see:0)

The routine is based off of an effect released several years ago- 15 or so- by my old friend Scotty Correll. His was entitled, 'Micro Monte.' He released his though Lou Tannens- solely as a one page instruction piece. The routine was basic, and I at the time of developing it-- had no prior knowledge of his release. We've compared routines, and 'Got A Light' has been deemed the full work on the subject.

Also, Stephen Tucker from the United Kingdom released a similar effect-- rightly titled, 'LED Monte'-- only in a manuscript form. When planning for this project we corresponded and it's been deemed that my routining, presentation, and thoughts on the monte were more elaborate and thorough.

Juan Mayoral did indeed release that effect. Does indeed use LED lights, but isn't a monte like routine with cups. Rather a mentalism effect. Great trick too!!

I originally designed the effect by accident. I used to perform in restaurants and behind the bar. I always wanted to do the classic cup and ball trick, but was always hounded by the angles. I also always wanted to 'combine' the classic gambling routines (three card monte, cups and balls, and the shell game) into one effect. The result being, 'Got A Light?'

This is my first effect that I'll be releasing to the magic community. I wanted to do something really special, unique, and thorough. The DVD is professionally produced by the New York Magic Project- run by Kevin Reylek. (Also a Café member!) The DVD even comes with everything you need to perform the effect, minus the shot glasses. There are dual angles- so you can see a close up shot of the routine and handling. The routine is fully explained, and I basically spill everything out on how and why this effect works. Why the structure and phases that I have a powerful-- and also, bonus handlings. There is a lot of potential here for creativity and I've been very happy with the project.

I also will be releasing my companion guide book for, 'Got A Light' as well. This features even more potential routine concepts, professioanlly illustrated by Gregg Webb, and commentary on the routine. Even giving you my personal written script.

I'll let Kevin fill you in on the dates when it will be available. Dealers will be able to contact Murphys. We're planning for a June release. Many thanks Steve for stopping by the booth!! Your comments are very kind. Hope you had fun yesterday! It was a nice surprise seeing a posting here on the Café.

Hopefully some of the other members witnessed the routine and enjoyed it as well! For all those that preordered at the convention-- I thank you, and will get them out to you as soon as I receive mine. This will indeed and surely be before anyone else does.

All the best,
and regards,

Matt
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi everyone! Looks like the cat is finally out of the bag on both 'Got a Light?' and The New York Magic Project.

I'm a long time Café user, so a lot of you might know me already. Here's a bit of background about the new company in general:

I've had a love affair with magic since age eight. Two years ago, I finished school with a BFA in Filmmaking. I wanted to combine my two passions and start producing magic DVDs.

But why The New York Magic Project? Frankly, because NY doesn't get enough attention! There's so much focus on LA and Vegas in the magic world, but there's a wonderful, thriving community here in NY, and I wanted to try to bring some attention back to it.

As for Matt's 'Got a Light?' and other similar routines:

I loved this routine the first time I saw Matt perform it. Not only is it super-easy to do and totally angle-proof, but it's also highly visual. The 'street' nature of the Three Shell Game fits perfectly with a New York vibe.

As has been mentioned in the thread, Matt is not the first magician to work with LED lights in a monte kind of style. We highly recommend that everyone take a look at the work of Stephen Tucker, Scotty Correll, Juan Mayoral, and Joe Silke.

Where Matt's routine is different, is that it is really an updated version of the Three Shell Game. In fact, we're calling it "The 21st Century Three Shell Game." The addition of the shot glasses and Matt's routining bring the effect to a much higher level than simply handling the LEDs and battery by themselves.

The 'Got a Light' DVD was shot in high-definition and will show full performances and explanations in both wide and close-up angles, and include a few extra bonus handlings as well. We're also including a full set of LEDs and a button-style battery inside each DVD case. The DVDs are standard region-free NTSC discs that will play in regular DVD players world-wide. We've also included English subtitles for the hearing impaired. Just press the Subtitle button on your DVD remote.

Right now we're looking at releasing the DVD in late June.

Matt has really developed this routine over the years, and has gotten a lot of great feedback from the community. Here are some examples of what people are saying:

"Matt's 'Got a Light' reilluminates the three shell game." —Eric DeCamps

"Bring magic out of the dark ages — let there be light!" —David Roth

"Fun, commercial, new, and different. Any magician that does even one gambling trick could add this to their repertoire." —Gregg Webb

"A real colorful, mystifying effect. An "outside the box" fooler!" —Tom Craven, Linking Ring Magazine

"Matt Wayne has taken a classic of magic and brought it into the twenty-first century." —David London

The New York Magic Project is very proud to be releasing 'Got a Light' as our first DVD, and we hope that you guys really enjoy it. It really is something fun and different if you're tired of all of your card and coin effects!

We're also already at work on our second DVD, and a special project with the United States Playing Card Co (but more on those later!)

"Got a Light?" will be available in late June from http://www.newyorkmagicproject.com or from http://www.mattwaynemagic.com Dealers will be able to contact Murphy's Magic Supplies.

Thanks, and stay tuned!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Sounds like a great time.
Thanks Matt & Kevin for the informative posts.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hey everyone! We're getting closer to release by the minute! 'Got a Light?' will be here before you know it!

Those who have pre-ordered from Matt directly will receive theirs first. After that, copies will be available directly from the New York Magic Project site, and then your favorite dealer in the not-too-distant future.

Here's a little preview clip to show you guys what the DVD entails. (Click the 'Watch in high quality' link underneath the View counter under the video to get the best results!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-EPDwEb42I

We'll be posting back with exact release details soon!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Hello everyone,

Well it's that time! I officially have my copies of my effect, 'Got A Light?' The reviews have been quite positive and I'm looking forward to hearing any comments from Café members!

To order visit: http://www.mattwaynemagic.com

Retail for the DVD/Effect is: $35.00
FREE shipping on orders in the United States :0)
All orders go out to you on the next business day!

Kevin Reylek of the New York Magic Project will also be selling them on his website within the near future. http://www.newyorkmagicproject.com

These DVDs will be distributed through Murphys Magic Supplies- dealers please contact them Smile

For a short while- I'm the only one currently who has them for the general population at large! Read the above reviews from some of my friends in magic, watch the trailer, and get yours today! Looking forward to bringing more of my effects to you in the future!

warm regards,
Matt Wayne
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I'm going to have to pick this up just because it's subtitled. I've been waiting for years for a magician to do that for years. But it's a good thing the effect looks good too.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hey guys! Everything in Matt's post is absolutely true! The DVDs are IN!

http://www.newyorkmagicproject.com will be launching soon, but in the meantime, you can order directly from Matt. I'll be sure to give everyone a head's up when NYMP launches.

Shortly after the site goes live dealers will be able to contact Murphy's to place orders.

Ron - Thanks for that feedback! The decision to add the subtitles was largely due to some feedback I'd seen here in the Café where people were wishing subtitles were an option on other magic products.

So, if anyone out there has been wanting subtitles, please keep the feedback coming! Adding these subtitles is EXTREMELY time-consuming. If we don't hear much about them, there is the potential that they will not be included on future NYMP releases. However, if we receive enough feedback that people are enjoying the feature, we will continue to have them on future releases. So, if you're enjoying the subtitles, please post about it, PM me, or pop me an email at nymagicproject@gmail.com

On a related note, we've found that in some DVD players the subtitles are turned ON as the default. To turn them off, simply hit the "Subtitle" button on your DVD remote (or DVD player software if you're watching on a computer).
Kevin Reylek
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
A suggestion on the subtitles.

Once they are made in English they can be translated to other languages. So non-English speaking magician can also understand what's being said.

I realize that it's not something everyone will use. But if they don't want them they can just turn them off. But for people like me it's a rare thing. I usually have to find someone and say, "What did they just say?"

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi Ron. Multi-lingual subtitles are an idea that we've thought about for future releases. We'll look into them on a project-by-project basis, I suppose. Rather than using some kind of automated translator software though, I'd probably use someone fluent in a particular language to do the translating in order to ensure accuracy.

I knew how rare it was to find subtitling of any kind on most magic DVDs that are natively in English, which is why I thought we'd give it a whirl for this first release. If we get enough feedback that people are enjoying the feature (and thus making it worth the extra time and effort in post-production) we'll definitely keep it in future releases.

Keep the feedback coming everyone!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
This is great news. I have worked with kevin early on in developing the NYMP identity design and it was a pleasure to hera kevin;s ideas for the projects coming up and what he plans on doing. I am proud to have worked with him and it is great to see the products rolling out.

As Ro suggested, I am also excitd about subtitles as I am also a deaf magician. subtitles are so lacking in many magic DVds and it is a shame as having them helps us deaf and hard of hearing folks enjoy the DVDs and gain so much more out of them. I really appluade anyone who is working towards putting subtitles on their DVD releases. It is something that can be done and can also be turned off easily if someone chooses not to want them. Bot for us deaf folks, it is so great to be able to used close captioning and be able to gain so much more from the DVds we want to buy or learn from.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Kyle-- my old friend! It's been a while!! How's Kelly? I hope you're well. Great having you on this thread-- hope you enjoy the effect and let us know what you think of it Smile

All the best- we must catch up sometime,
regards,
Matt
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™

Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi Kyle! Great to see you! It was wonderful working with you in the early stages of NYMP to get the ball rolling!

I'm glad to see that people are enthused about the Subtitles being on the DVD. I guess at this rate we'll be forced to contiue the trend on future releases!
Kevin Reylek
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Matt: Hey great hearing from you as well. Awesome that you are involved with kevin on the NYMP. It was a lot of fun working with Kevin to develop the initial logo and brand identity design for it. I had fun working on it and enjoyed it a lot. Kelly is doing well and we certainly have to get together again for sure. Going to be at any conventions? The name through me off there for a second Matt, hehehe

Kevin: It was my pleasure working with you on the project. I really enjoyed it and it looks like you really have something strong here. If I can help you in any way at all, please let me know. As a deaf magician, I THANK you for doing subtitles on the releases of the DVDs. It means a lot to me as it helps us in ways you can not imagine.

In fact it would be really cool to put together a DVD project at some ppint featuring magic performed and/or taught by deaf magicians and with subtitles as well. I do not think anything out there really even exists on it.

Well good luck and much success.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Great Idea on the subtitles guys... BRAVO!

Now on to business,
Matt Wayne's Got a light is super cool to watch and I am even more excited to perform. As most of you know I very rarely perform other magicians effects, it takes a lot for me to even consider it, but Matt's Got a light is something I am very excited about performing!

Justin N. Miller
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Many thanks Justin! Your DVD will go out to you tomorrow! I'm glad that you enjoyed the performance of it, and that you're excited to include it into your work.

Keep in touch my friend,
all the best,

Matt
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™

MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Hi gang,

Just got more copies of my effect in! All the others sold out. I'm so happy that the response has been positive! Thanks for all the e-mails regarding the service, the DVD itself, and the routine. 'Got A Light?' has so many possibilities and I'm happy that everyone is making up their own routines!

If you haven't gotten your copy yet- http://www.mattwaynemagic.com/products.htm

Keep the reviews coming!

All the best,
Matt
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I've performed Got A Light and if you like the shells, or card monte, you will love peforming this. I'll have a review of the DVD this week and tell about my experience with the effect.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi everyone. Here's a second preview for you all to check out. This preview shows only the first phase of Matt's entire multi-phase routine, which escalates as it goes on.

Don't forget to click the "Watch in High Quality" text underneath the view counter to get better video quality.

Also, YouTube seems to have added a bit of echoey-ness to the audio in the conversion process. Rest assured, the DVD does not have this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxBPR4KW4zM

And the original trailer for those who haven't seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-EPDwEb42I

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Got a Light-Matt Wayne (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL