The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Convincing Vanish » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
I would like to vanish a 24" silk for adults version of 20th Century Bra (cabaret/stage situation) in a fairly convincing manner. I use a one handed change bag for the kids version but would prefer a stronger vanish for adults. I have thought of a cone but can't find one big enough for 24" silk, I have tried making one but wasn't very successful. I have also thought about a pull but what will take this size silk? Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks Joe Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
You can make your own pull out of a trimmed down toilet paper tube (wrap it with making tape to reinforce it) that will accomodate that size of silk easily. Other options would be a silk caddy, a newspaper cone, etc.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mark the Balloon Guy
View Profile
New user
Tampa Bay Florida
27 Posts

Profile of Mark the Balloon Guy
try a diamond cut silk that looks like a 24 inch. then you could use a thumb tip if you want.

Silk ball is another way to go. Contact Duane Laughlin he has some great ball devices.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark theBalloon Guy
"Bad to theBalloon"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There is a much simpler method of vanishing a silk than using a gimmick or prop (pull, ball, silk caddy, change bag, etc., etc.,). In fact it is the first silk vanish discussed in the “Rice’s Encyclopedia of silk Magic” (page 290).

I had read about it and promptly ignored it in favor of a Palmo ball until I went to a Patrick Page lecture in the early 70’s. Pat taught this bit as a “throwaway” or extra. That is, to answer a question from the audience, he showed and explained the vanish. It was not in his notes. He credited Rice among others. His lecture sent me back to my Rice to re explore some items that I had overlooked.

It is called (by Rice) “A Master Vanish” and involves rolling the silk up in a ball and palming it away. If you can do a sponge ball vanish, then you can do the Master Vanish.

It is best used to vanish large size silks, like your 24 incher. I produce a 36” silk early in my act and later vanish it.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
Thanks guys I'll check these methods out.
Is the Rice Encyclopedia still in print?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Yes, all four volumes have been reprinted, and at a pretty reasonable price, too!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Have you thought about a hankball, they are great on stage. An other option is to use a ball with a opening, read Silken Sorcery by Hugard (one of my favorite writers).

Yours faithfully

Smile Dan Kirsch Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Use a hank ball -- I do. Duane Laflin has a great handling of it!
Smile
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
I like the idea of using a diamond silk with a thumbtip. It would be especially good if you use the Slydini move that makes the tt protrude from the back of your hand at right angles. Romaine ,a well-known magician originally from Montreal , has a move where the tt in the Slydini position is simply popped out of your hand and propelled up your sleeve. Think for a minute of the sucker trick where you try and catch a wooden-hooked dowel on an elastic inside a tube, and do the same move with a tt. As it is popped up your sleeve , you continue to pretend to stuff the last little corner into your fist. And you are left clean!
Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
My favorite "magical looking" silk vanish was a magic wand. You touched the silk with the wand and it vanished. Unfortunately I haven't seen one of those wands in a very long time.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Viking Magic Co. makes one called The Instant Silk Vanishing Wand.

http://www.vikingmagic.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Convincing Vanish » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL