The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Old wizard spell book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
I have been looking for a authentic looking wizards spell book for a medieval wizard routine I putting together anyone know where I can find such things?
askernas
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
293 Posts

Profile of askernas
Uhm ... make one yourself with interesting fonts and various free brushes to use with photoshop and sew it all into leather?

at least that's what I'm in the process of doing ... slowly.. slowly .. slowly....
Micke Askernäs
www.askernas.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
There are various professional book binders that love projects like that... also, if you frequent the auction site and find VISIBLE DARK, you'll find a tone of HPL inspired tomes - but he is willing to customize! Including inserting your own text... pricey but worth it!

There is the Plush Necronomicon too as per the other thread
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Franmonet
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Franmonet
These are expensive but great looking books.

http://www.thestygiandepths.com/arcane_tomes.html
Heck is for people who don't believe in gosh
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 22:04, Franmonet wrote:
These are expensive but great looking books.

http://www.thestygiandepths.com/arcane_tomes.html

Do not trust this website. I have been waiting 4 months for an order. Lots of excuses and 2 bogus shipping notices. Police report filed. A big hassel, best avoided, I hope someone can learn from my mistake. I thought they looked great too.
Happy to supply details, just PM.
Franmonet
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Franmonet
Thanks for the info Balaram I will be sure not to buy anything from them.
Heck is for people who don't believe in gosh
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Talk to Michael Fraughton (fraughton is his name here at the Café) for a custom, hand made, aged work of art that not only looks and feels GREAT, but is a self contained show with a number of effects built into the rites and rituals contained therein.

Michael and I are teaming up to create a new grimoire and act surrounding it (including a pet effect and signature piece of mine - a full act) that is unlike anything else out there and different than anything he and/or I have ever done prior.

Fraughtons work is top notch as anyone with a product attached to his name will gladly verify.

Best,
Jerome Finley
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
Michael,
An artist friend of mine attended some workshops at this: http://www.seattlebookarts.org/ a while back and came away with all manner of ideas about how to create custom books. Maybe it would be a useful thing for you to look into?

-Jason
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Thanks for the hook ups.

Michael Fraughton has to really good material I will look into it.

quack, cool link looks like fun I'm always looking for new ways to make props
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
Check these ones out
http://www.newmoon.uk.com/ritual/bos.htm

They are very expensive but if you want an authentic one, its best not to skimp on costs.

We make wooden ones with faux leather at MagiCurios but they are actually boxes, not books.

Simon
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
Sorry, the best I've ever seen have to be the ones listed here:
http://www.brahmsbookworks.com/
Enjoy.
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
The ones on Brahms book works look amazing!
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Oh, do not forget the HPLHS!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
My opinion .... make it yourself. When one moves into the realm of Bizarre Magick, if he, or she is unwilling to make some of the props themselves, then maybe they aren't ready for the world of Bizarre Magick. I'm afraid of the days when there are many performers doing the same exact "Bizarre Magick" routines with all of the same props. Make this stuff your own. Imagine if everyone who calls themselves Bizarre had the same "one of a kind" props.

I think I actually enjoy making the props, or modifying the props as much as performing. It's a real high to look at something you created and know no one else has one.

Dr Spektor, HPLHS is a wonderful resource. Also, look for empty leather journals which won't "break the bank". These can be found at sources for Renaissance faires. It's ok to use pseudo parchmont, as long as it doesn't have that new and unused look. Astroparch is great if you need something a little heavier.

If you do some research, there are MANY articles and examples of how to age and distress props. Try Dragonskull.co.uk for excellent tutorials from the likes of my good friend Ed Solomon. Also look up the works of another friend of mine, Brother Shadow.

I feel Bizarre Magick should be a journey and require research. Everything should not be able to be purchased as a complete package ... BUT, resources such as Outlaw Effects, Lebanon Circle are most excellent. We ARE all artists, are we not? I strive not to be the Musak version of a magickal performer.

Just my 2c.

Dave Birtwell
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I can attest to Michael Fraughton's exquisite work. In addition to his Zodiac Chart and Hand of Glory, I have most of the creations on his website, and he is currently creating a Grimoire (Daemonicus) for me.

Michael is a fine artist and his work is superb. Check his website:

http://www.illusions.ws/

Andre
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Roni
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Roni
Hi
I whole heartedly agree with David Birtwell. Making your own props makes you feel attached to them and this alone creates better performance.
I try very hard to be different by creating my own props and love doing it as part of my Bizarre work.
Cheers
Roni
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Actually I do make most of my own props, and I alter the ones I buy.
having never seen a wizards spell book or having never done and book creation for that mater I felt that it would be better to seek EXPERT advice in where to look and how they should be like.

do I think I can make my own perhaps, do I think I can make it as beautiful as some that I have seen from starting this topic?
absolutely not.

it is not in my talents.
as some of the things I am proficient in are not in some of yours.
we all have our gifts.

just because I can not <at this time> create a book from scratch does not make me less of an entertainer, nor does it mean that I do not have dedication to my art.

no routine that I perform in front of a live audience is less then the very best I can do.

to say that I am not ready to be a bizarrist or that I am not some how connecting to the routines I perform is both insulting and judgmental.
granted I may not have had the experience in the bizarre field that many if not most of you have but to be honest and fair how many of you can perform everything I perform?

I respect a lot of people in this art and would appreciate not being hashed over as a second rate or an arm chair mage.
meet me in person, see me perform then judge me by my merits and flaws.
for those of you that posted with tips and links and helping advise I thank you and hope that you will continue to share with others.

"magicians helping magicians"

If I can help in anyways feel free to ask as I am always open to helping.

Michael
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Michael, if I may interject something here, let me say that I don't believe anyone intended to put you down or criticize you in any way. It seems to me that both comments were meant to be generalizations, and although I can see how they appeared to be aimed at you, they should not be taken personally. I may be wrong, of course, and perhaps I should keep my mouth shut, but I think this shows how easily our words can be misconstrued when not accompanied by nonverbal cues.

I'm willing to bet that no one builds from scratch every prop that he or she uses. It is fine and dandy when you can build your own unique prop, but few of us have a complete machine shop, woodworking shop, electronics lab and whatever else would be necessary. Anyone who claims to build everything is blowing smoke (and maybe a few mirrors, to boot). And folks, it ain't the size of your prop; it is how you handle it!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

As always bill you wisdom is taken to heart.
thank you.

I guess I may be a bit sensitive as of late as it seems that random attacks on boards are becoming invogue.
It is never my intention to become involved in conflict but rather to help inspire and in return become inspired by others.

I admit that there are many on this site that I look up to and aspire to reach a level of mastery they exhibit.

the real difference here is I do this as my sole income and this is how I support my family.

I do not have the time to study and create like I would love to.

doing it for arts sake is what I would love to do but for now I must do it for the commercial aspects.

I think the best step for my career was when I decided that I didn't just want to do tricks but to actually put some meaning into my work.

that is what captured my attention here.
so many of you put heart and soul into your routines, and they have meaning.

the laymen are wanting more then pick a card they want something to make them feel, to make them think.

I may never be a great craftsmen when it comes to building things but I can create
wonderful presentation for my audiance then I am happy.
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
If everyone built their own props - I'd be out of business!!
Simon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Old wizard spell book (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL