We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Birds from cone history? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
Hey guys! I wasa curious if anyone knew the origin of the bird routine in this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thxCcV_1d3w

I was told it was performed by Thurston way back... I donno

- Wade
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
Pm me
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Not related to your question; just to the use of the words "Xtreme Magic" used by Dirk Arthur for ordinary store bought props. I guess it is now like calling your act a "World Class Magic Act." The phrases are becoming meaningless. "Xtreme" or Extreme Magic should take magic far away from what is possible with a big budget for props, and require actual skill beyond the ordinary. Our definition of it at The Magic Nook requires that the magic take place within the personal space of the spectator(s) and involve them personally in some way. I'm not sure if allowing a spectator to hold a standard duck bucket counts. If, on the other hand, spectators had been allowed to take the box apart in which the duck vanishes, I might concede some elements of Xtreme Magic taking place.

And now back to the question: The cone trick, or more properly banner or flexible tube trick is described in Adair's Dove Encyclopedia Volume 1 and appears several times in different formats, but you can easily see the method used in the effect Adair calls "Feather Duster Dove." The principle used is even older than Thurston, although he may have also applied it to a production of livestock.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Spellbinder... you mention Dirk's equipment as "store bought"?

His show is called "Xtreme Magic" as he has performed some of the largest illusions on the strip. Now with Wyrick doing the appearing lear jet, Dirk's larger illusions aren't as "extreme in size". When he was making the Amtrak Locomotive appear nightly, it was the largest illusion on the strip!

I'd research your facts a bit...

-Bryan
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
If I'm not mistaken Dirk Artur bought his bird routine from Ken whitaker.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2008-06-01 19:31, Bryan Gilles wrote:
Spellbinder... you mention Dirk's equipment as "store bought"?

His show is called "Xtreme Magic" as he has performed some of the largest illusions on the strip. Now with Wyrick doing the appearing lear jet, Dirk's larger illusions aren't as "extreme in size". When he was making the Amtrak Locomotive appear nightly, it was the largest illusion on the strip!

I'd research your facts a bit...

-Bryan

I'm not as impressed with size as some. Large does not make "Xtreme" unless you use the two words together as in "Xtremely Large Magic." I would have no problem with that. But some of us are trying to take magic new places it has never dared to go before, and to me, that is more deserving of the title "Xtreme Magic." If he makes the locomotive appear with a bunch of spectators on board and they have no idea how he did it, that would be my idea of Xtreme.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
Rafael is correct
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
I saw dirks show in vegas, it was soooooooooooooooooooooooo bad!!!!!!!

the music so fricken loud,the best thing was the tigers!

But about the cone, that was the first time ive seen it!

Kyle
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Dirk did buy the rights to the cone trick from Whitaker, whom he studied under. I don't really know of much of anything in his show that is store bought -- the vast majority of his magic he created himself....not sure what you've seen that struck you as store bought. I think Xtreme Magic is an appropriate title for the show. I suppose the word Xtreme can mean diferent things to different people. I've heard several bad reviews of Dirk's show regarding stage presence, showmanship, etc. Say what you will, but in reality the man knows a ton, has always had high-profile work, and makes great money. Obviously he is doing something right. Based on my experience (I've worked in his show), his show is generally a crowd pleaser.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Well said Brian! I agree with you 100%

Back to the topic: I spoke with a reputable source regarding this effect. I'm not sure how much I can/can't say regarding this as I did not ask for permission to pass the information along (especially within a public forum). Yes, performance rights were originally purchased from his mentor. Though many older books on bird magic may have similarities, there is enough difference in it to be unique. I've seen many fellow magicians become stumped over the final production of the duck! Fan or not, you have to admit that his timing is pretty good on this!

-Bryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Birds from cone history? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL