The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » CSB routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
I do love Bill Malone's handling on his new dvd series L&L.. very good.. no pocket..

For completeness you should look at this one too.

Doc
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
"Trio in Three" is a 2 copper/1 silver routine... it will NOT work for a standard CSB set.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think C/S/B is...the grand daddy of coin effects. I don't think there is a stronger one.

Tell us why, of Grand Magic Hack....

First, they examine the coins before the trick starts. Then the "Miracle Move" where the silver coin changes to two differnt coins is a gasp getting moment. It looks like "real" magic. And then you perform the magic in their hands ( no stronger magic than that ).

Who has the best routine? You can't say. Get them all ( over time ). You have to start somewhere though, uh?

OK, Doc Eason's routine, Cody Fishers and Bob Sheets are excellent starting points. You get some great patter ideas, moves, etc.

Doc's for his masterful audience management. Cody has some moves ( full credits by him ) from a variety of sources including Jim Lewis's incredible transpo with a nice finese of Cody's. Bob Sheets ( who taught his original routine to Doc back in 1977 ) has some excellent ways to get and out and using TWO people for a transpo move ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks for all the tips on this! CSB is definitely a routine I want to add to my repertoire. Thanks to everyone, I have some good resources to check out! I hope to look at as many different ones as possible so I can find something that works well for me.

One more queswtion, I don't yet own the gaffed coin set. Are there differences in quality with available sets? I often feel that when you "buy cheap, you buy twice," so I am willing to spend a little bit of money to get a good set if there is a big difference in quality.

Thanks!!!
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
When I first performed this I had an inexpensive set. I've used Johnson, which makes a nice set. Do you need more than that?

As I've gotten older, I've tried to become a little more sophisticated with props, in some ways. When doing an out to lunch routine, I prefer using Doc Eason's elegant "Out To Dinner Clip" over the rubber band ( DOC EASON )

Things like that.

So, I invested in a Jamie Schoolcraft C/S/B set ( http://www.coingaffs.com ). I got it with the Walking Liberty Eagle Side for the gaff.

The Kennedy coin, I felt uneasy about using. The main attraction this this coin is JFK's image. But..the gaff is made tail side. Did it matter? To me, it did. I enjoy performing with props that make me feel at ease. The Walking Liberty half has a large eagle on the tail side. It's the prominent feature.

The Schoolcraft set also has a genuine African Coin ( the one with the hole ) instead of the goofy "oriental" coin. Again, I feel more at ease using that.

And the set uses a nice Peruvian coin instead of the centavo.

My routine starts off with me saying I collect coins and was at the coin shop today......maybe that's why I prefer genuine coins, etc.

The Schoolcraft set is the Cadillac of the coin sets.

Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
I like to think that the Johnson set is the 'Cadillac' and that Jamie's are the 'Maserati' quality.
(or Todd Lassen's...they use the same coins and are equally superb quality.. I have a set from each of these guys and I sure can't tell em apart.)

With all due respect to Mr Kavanagh..I think you are over thinking the thing about the Kennedy half.. and the bogus looking chinese coin.. .the punters really don't know or care about such things..

Once again.. thinking like a magician when it really isn't necessary.. I feel the emphasis should be on the interaction NOT the types of coins involved.. but that is just me and I could be wrong...

Bottom line is that this is a great trick... Sheets once told me that if you do a 'little sleight of hand' and then throw in a gimmick... the lay public is in the DUST without a clue.

Doc
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Doc, I agree 100% on all counts.

It's just that I feel more at ease using the walking liberty ( which Johnson also makes in their "silver" set ).

I used the cheap set and with the Kennedy half for years and no one said a word. Mr. Sheets is so correct.

I'm using a 'Maserati'? I've arrived! lol.

MagicAggie
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of MagicAggie
Doc,

Does "The Old Three Coin Trick Booklet" available at Rocky Mountain Magic:

http://doceasonmagicshop.com/oscommerce/......ts_id=74

have your original routine that everyone is talking about here?

Larry
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
Aggie,

That book details Docs CSB routine. You can see the perfomance(and explanation) on one of the bar magic videos, and on WGM: gaff coins.

And on a seperate note for those looking for a CSB set on a tight budget; I recently saw Tangos latest offering and thought it was of nice quality; I have their us quarter,, 1 euro and 50 cent euro set.
bigtyme
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of bigtyme
David Regal has a slick csb routine in his book 'Approaching Magic'. It's called 'Travelling Abroad'. It also provides justification for the unusual coins.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I have a version called "chariots of fire" using flash paper to produce the necessary coins (sort of a super short Chad Long "flash coins" intro), then the standard CSB routine, ending with a vanish and recovery of the foreign coins. What I like about this handling is that the gaffs are in and out so fast that the idea of their "trickiness" is all but forgotten at the end. But I will vouch for Doc's routine - superb and allows some nice interaction in the bar.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 13:48, aussiemagic wrote:
I am interested in adding a CSB routine to my repertoire.

I would appreciate some recommendations for good CSB routines, NOT for 2 silver 1 copper.

I have heard good things about Cody Fisher's routine. What are some others?

Unforgettable Coin Magic DVD by Cody Fisher has his "real World C/S/B/" rotuine.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=132

mimo67
View Profile
Veteran user
France
322 Posts

Profile of mimo67
About the Cody Fisher routine, as a beginner I think this one is doable for me and will fit my style. Thanks for the advice Christopher.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
David Regal has a couple of routines using this coin set. Brass-Ackwards is one that I find pleasing, and it can be found in Approaching Magic.

RevJohn
mimo67
View Profile
Veteran user
France
322 Posts

Profile of mimo67
Indeed, but I think David's routine can be done with a cheaper but also very good Johnson CBS set, couldn't it ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Karl (Koppertop) Hein has a very nice routine in his lecture notes "Go With The Flow". It's called International Frequent Flyer. The effect is that three Silver Dollars are produced. Two of them are transformed into the copper and the brass, then, a three fly type routine is performed. It uses the standard CSB set in dollar size.

After watching Karl perform this routine, I immediately ordered one from Lassen.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I will second several of the routines mentioned previously. I use all of the following on various occasions (and sometimes tinker with combining elements of them):

Cody Fisher - Real World CSB (Unforgettable Coin Magic DVD)
Doc Eason & Scotty York - CSB routines (World's Greatest Magic: Gaff Coins DVD)
Dan Watkins - CSB Assault (Coin Man Walking e-book. He also offers DVD's)
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
mwmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of mwmagic
I have tried a quick version using the small purse that came with my Johnson CSB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDhADVRWF0U&feature=channel

Comments invited
jjduck
View Profile
New user
Chesterfield, Virginia
78 Posts

Profile of jjduck
Karl Norman has an excellent version used in conjunction with an okito box that leaves you clean and everything examinable. I'm not sure if it is still in print.
Joe
Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
Wow that was nicely done mwmmagic! If you don't mind me asking who's routine is that? It sort of looks like Cody Fisher's version.

Ian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » CSB routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL